ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-12-2010   #11
rhipsher

Default Re: High RPM vibration all gears

When I drove Ryans car the first thing I noticed was that the shifter nob was just free spining loose badley. And the set screw wasn't in the little seat on the reverse lockout pin so it was just sliding up and down freely. So the first thing I did was take the aluminum tee and put it on the driveway and give it a couple of whacks with a small hammer to make it a little wider so it would wedge itself nicley into the groove. Then a fixed and tightened the set screw in the reverse lockout. So with those two issuse fixed we took it for another spin. Much quieter. He still needs to lip the shifter boot up over the plastic piece right under the reverse lockout. So I said ok just take it up to 7k and I'll squeeze my hand around the loose shifter boot piece and it was totally quiet then. Ryan still thinks that there's a little to much vibration coming through the shifter. I tend to think the amount is normal. At 7k there's gonna be a little bit of vibration just from the engine revs and the transmission gears. But his Cbeam bolts are not loose. They are fine. I guess when I get new tires for mine Ill take it up to 7k and compare the amount of vibration I get to his.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #12
USAFPILOT

Got the shifter boot up over the lip and the allen head tightened now. Still the same.

I feel the vibration when driving if I depress the clutch and free rev the engine or if I am running hard through the gears.

I haven't tried just leaving it in neutral and revving it yet.

Actually I cant remember if I did it with the clutch in or not.

Time for another drive.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #13
rhipsher

But is it more quiet than when everything was loose?
Old 08-12-2010   #14
rhipsher

If you disengage your clutch and you still have the vibration then it could be your duel mass like was mentioned. Because it rotates even when your disengaged. I don't hear much about duel mass flywheels going bad especially on a low mile car like yours. Unless some crank bolts have backed out.
Old 08-12-2010   #15
FULLPWR

Its just the "LT5 MTA" (Massage Therapy Actuator) kickin in.

FULLPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #16
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLPWR View Post
Its just the "LT5 MTA" (Massage Therapy Actuator) kickin in.

Or maybe it's the "DMMOIRB" (Drive me more often I'll run better) condition.
Old 08-12-2010   #17
ittlfly

I had a similiar problem when I got my 94. After getting new tires and rims, I had all 4 ''forced balanced" . It helped but the problem still persisted. I pulled the driveline and both half shafts; had them re-balanced with new u-joints installed. That finally cured the problem. ( BTW the car only had 17K miles on it at the time. )

Good luck.
Old 08-12-2010   #18
rhipsher

I agree that bad ujoints and unbalanced drive shafts can be a major source of vibration. But this seems to be more rpm related than speed related. It happens when the clutch is in neutral. Which could point to something further up the drive train. Like the flywheel. Also another thing that was noticed was that we were in neutral facing up hill in a parking lot so if your in neutral and you take your foot off the brake the car should roll backwards. It didn't. So my first thought would be badly frozen ujoint/joints may be frozen enough to slightly lock the wheels up. Toasted wheel bearings. I put my money on ujoints. When we were pulling out of the gas station we put it in gear and could hear that classic clunk noise of a bad ujoints. But Ryan hardly drives this car. I think he's put maybe 5k miles on it in 6 years.
Old 08-12-2010   #19
USAFPILOT

I just flushed out all the old brake fluid and added new DOT4 and drove the piss out of it, it will now roll on a hill. I am sure it was my brakes not disengaging for some reason, but that is now solved. Fresh fluid, I never figured that would be all it took.

Vibration still there. Going to try the u joint route next; but I am still waiting on some Hawk HPS brake pads from Fed Ex.

I have some Slotted rotors from a previous car I am going to run, but I need them turned.

I guess I can get O'Reilly to do it, but NTB wouldn't. Gotta wait till my next day off.

It took NTB all afternoon to do an alignment, but after two attempts they nailed it.

I always thought my car was leaning to the right and It was. Those cams on the rear end were off. Sits even now!
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #20
HIZNHRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
I always thought my car was leaning to the right and It was. Those cams on the rear end were off. Sits even now!
When you say "leaning to the right", did your car not sit level? If so, does leaning to the right mean the drivers side rear end was higher than the passenger side?

Thanks.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote