ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-18-2019   #11
EvanZR1

Default Re: Insurance help/strategy needed please.... got tagged

Bill, a few other suggestions for shops are Stuarts and New Concepts. Both got really great feedback from other Vette owners I know. The one caveat was that while Stuarts is probably the best around, they do take their time to do it right.
SOLD - Steel Blue 91 391cid ZR-1 #391
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
EvanZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019   #12
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Been there. Done that. PM me.

Edit:

Hood, bumper, frame straightening, windshield, painted...<$5k!

Looks better n ever!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-18-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019   #13
billschroeder5842

Paul, Check your PM. I'd like to talk to you about your experience, especially with the frame situation. I have some frame "mooshing" that will require a straightening.

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019   #14
1LEZ

Www.zr1windshied.com. These guys helped me out with a windshield
1LEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019   #15
LGAFF

I am actually a Claims Director and have been in insurance claims for 25 years, one of my teams processes 48K total losses a year and TX is one of our largest states, if you have any questions please let me know.

Lee
LGAFF
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019   #16
LGAFF

1) How does insurance companies estable the value of our classic cars?
Value is established using a company that specializes in vehicle valuations, either CCC or Mitchell. The valuation process used is consistent throughout the industry and CCC does about 70% of all carriers, they use actual vehicles for sale in your area to establish the value... adjustments in the range of the search can be made due to the rarity of the car and lack of comparables. The method used is approved by the State of TX

**Get an agreed value policy and you wont have to worry!

2) How does and insurance company take into account the recent (I have all receipts) work done on upgrades?

You submit the receipts to the insurance/ valuation company and they make adjustments, basic necessities may not add value as most comparables are dealer comps which are refurbished....

3) What determines criteria for "condition?" This car has 80k but looks every bit of 20k. It is (was anyway) in remarkable condition as I got it from the original owner.

The car is conditioned by each component Excellent, very good, good, and fair...terms may different but here is the conditioning guide

https://www.cccis.com/wp-content/upl...ing-Matrix.pdf

4) If "totalled" how does the "buy back" process work and how is a price established?

Copart/IAA are the largest salvage vendors they can give an instant salvage value called proquote and it can be bought back for that amount. They may also run it through take the high big and offer it to you for that anount

5) If totalled and bought, can I avoid a salvage title- I own the car free and clear?
The insurance company will have to notify the state : https://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/salvaged-vehicles.php
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359

Last edited by LGAFF; 04-18-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-18-2019   #17
LGAFF

I don't think the car is a total based on the pics push them to repair as many parts as possible vs throwing on new. do the doors close, etc?

If the car is drivable, no airbag deployment, and no leaking fluids its probably a fixer
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359

Last edited by LGAFF; 04-18-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2019   #18
GOLDCYLON

First Damn I know you have done a lot to get her running the way you wanted.

As others has stated really not that bad and the good news nothing “ZR-1 only” specific was damaged. Did the airbag deploy? You did not mention that.

I would get the estimates and go from there. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019   #19
LGAFF

Rare cars can drive interesting values, from what I see the ZR-1s in the market are generally priced well over the sale price, most in the mid to high 20s on line. 5-6 years ago I bought an AMG C32 with 100K miles to daily drive. I paid $8K for the car. Last year I was rear ended at 35MPH pushing the back end of the car in 8"s folding the rear quarters Because of the rarity of the car they ran a countrywide search..... even though I now had 148K miles I got $8900 for the value.

Feast or famine with rare cars
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
Old 04-19-2019   #20
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by onethumb View Post
I've dealt with this before (unfortunately, but on a different and much rarer car), so here's my $0.02:

Agree with others, it really doesn't look that bad. Body shops vary widely in competence, so go with someone recommended (looks like you have that part already).

Your best bet for now will be to go after her insurance. Since she is at fault, they will be the ones to pay (unless TX is a no-fault state, but I don't believe it is).

Be prepared to fight with them on the appraisal of the car's value. Don't back down on where the car will be taken for repair, either--they will try to get you to use one of their "approved" body shops, which means they do cheap, crappy work.

Get an independent estimate from where you would want to have it fixed. Her insurance may try to low-ball you on the repair payments, but you have the right to take the car where you want it to be repaired.

Insurance adjusters are under pressure to get their claims settled quickly. Most people are in a hurry because they have lost their daily driver, so they also settle quickly. If you show that you are patient and willing to fight it out, you'll get a much better result.

There is a lot of variance in laws state-to-state, but most have in common that the insurer must work with you "in good faith", and you must also be "made whole" financially. Use these terms liberally when you speak with them, if you have to. It wouldn't hurt to read up on TX insurance law.

If they still balk at the dollar amount to fix (and the repair cost is within the recorded sale price of recent ZR-1's), provide supporting documentation. If they still balk, then tell them you will be getting an independent appraisal of the car. You'd be surprised how effective this is, since the independent appraisal generally precedes a lawsuit. This is not something they want to spend money on, so you will generally get them to back down at that point
I couldn’t have possibly said any better here,bottom line,stand firm and don’t give up an inch. In all of my dealings with insurance companies in the last I’ve never walked away not getting 100% of what was asked for. Sadly in situations like this the insurance company does not call the shot and the majority of consumers don’t know this. On the subject of a salvage title,once it’s branded that’s it,I understand there are ways to -wash- the title of a car is a salvage title but I do believed once it’s in the system it’s done. As far as the girl being shook up,maybe next time she will think before kills somebody.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote