Old 09-08-2009   #11
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Default Re: 95 convertable ZR.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKYRJ1 View Post
$$$$$( stimulus check)
That's what I'm talking about.... Glad you are in that low tax bracket, yes?
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #12
RICKYRJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZR1 View Post
That's what I'm talking about.... Glad you are in that low tax bracket, yes?
Born & raised there! :-(**|=

Last edited by RICKYRJ1; 09-08-2009 at 10:43 PM.
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #13
Z51JEFF

I just saw a 95 convertible,no motor on Fleabay for $4000.Isnt the firewall ZR-1 specific to the car?
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #14
4DSZR1

Awesome idea...

Donor vert $4,000
Donor ZR-1 $10,000
Misc costs $3,000
$17,000

Have one cool car foe under 20k
4DSZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #15
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
I just saw a 95 convertible,no motor on Fleabay for $4000.Isnt the firewall ZR-1 specific to the car?
no I think it is just the HVAC box on the Passenger side
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #16
RICKYRJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
Do you have an item #? I couldn't find it. Thanks
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #17
phrogs

I have thought about this but I wanted to do a wide body and that would mean alot more work.

If you want to lave the rear end the same it would be a simple swap of parts.

I think if you eliminate the secondaries on the engine you wouldnt even have to worry about the dash harness (power key) and headlight harness(vacuum pump)

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Parts car Hit me up if you need anything.
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #18
Corvettes White

There are a few swaps both ways out there. I know of four factory cars built, two survived, one crushed and in private hands, and one ’89 narrow body car. There is an engine swap of an lt-5 into a convertible with a widened rear that I know the owner of out here in California. And there are a few chops of the top off true ZR-1’s around.

My mind has spent a lot of time planning such a project and can tell you exactly what you need to pull off an ‘89 swap AKA the DR-1 that sold earlier this year. From what I understand a ‘90 should not be that hard to pull off.

As far as the chassis is concerned, buy a factory removable hardtop. The car with a removable hardtop on is more rigid that the car with the liftoff top off. If you mod the chassis, be careful of making the chassis too stiff as it may mess-up the ride, this according to Dave Hill’s book where he discusses building the convertible for ’86.

I also understand the fire wall was different, at least for the ’89 but have never confirmed this. The HVAC case IS different as is the brake booster. You will also need the dash and fuel pumps. The wiring harness leading back from the firewall to the fuel tank should carry the extra wires you need.

If you shoot me an email address I can send some photos.

George
Corvettes White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #19
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKYRJ1 View Post
Do you have an item #? I couldn't find it. Thanks
Its one of the places that has ZR-1 parts on Fleabay.I remember the prices for the Z parts was outrageous.Ill look for it.As far as making a ZR-1 convertible.Id buy a clapped out ZR-1,complete car and lop the top off after the doors.Then Id but a clapped out convertible for the rear body and all the top hardware.But the car has got to have the wider body.The cheap GS flair is a short cut.You got my mind going now.Its about time somebody with some cash and the know how did this.This would be a great project but to put an LT5 in a convertible might be the wrong way to go about it.
Old 09-12-2009   #20
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettes White View Post

There are a few swaps both ways out there. I know of four factory cars built, two survived, one crushed and in private hands, and one ’89 narrow body car. There is an engine swap of an lt-5 into a convertible with a widened rear that I know the owner of out here in California. And there are a few chops of the top off true ZR-1’s around.

My mind has spent a lot of time planning such a project and can tell you exactly what you need to pull off an ‘89 swap AKA the DR-1 that sold earlier this year. From what I understand a ‘90 should not be that hard to pull off.

As far as the chassis is concerned, buy a factory removable hardtop. The car with a removable hardtop on is more rigid that the car with the liftoff top off. If you mod the chassis, be careful of making the chassis too stiff as it may mess-up the ride, this according to Dave Hill’s book where he discusses building the convertible for ’86.

I also understand the fire wall was different, at least for the ’89 but have never confirmed this. The HVAC case IS different as is the brake booster. You will also need the dash and fuel pumps. The wiring harness leading back from the firewall to the fuel tank should carry the extra wires you need.

If you shoot me an email address I can send some photos.

George
Id really like to see the photos Goerge.If it were me Id strip off the rear body work,remove the halo bar or go so far as to remove the rear frame and replace it with the rear frame for a convertible making it look as factory as possible.It would end up a HUGE project but it would work.My email is z51mo@aol.com