1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #12
nowa

Default Re: New on the board

Hi @All,

first I would thank you all for your welcome.

Quote: How did you hear about this forum?

Well Jim.............wasnt it you ?

The german autobahns are famous in the whole world, cause we dont have a speedlimit. Thats unique in the world. You cant compare anything w/ an autobahn. If you can go WOT until topspeed, well its like sex or even better. Recommended speed is 80 mph, trucks are limited to 56 mph. You MUST NOT overtake on the right lane, always on the left (a big difference to the US). Its better not to exceed speed diffs left/right lane over 50 mph, else you cant break the speed down. But most of the germans go 75 to 100 mph.

If the autobahn is free, you can go as fast as you like. But you loose insurance if you go over 80 mph and have an accident.

I sometimes go from/to Bremen/Bremerhaven and I normally "cruise" at 120 mph. If a Porsche, BMW, Mercedes or Audi want to mess with me, speed goes up. My 90th stock ZR1 goes 175 mph. Most german cars are limited to 156 mph. Cause of the heavy traffic we often have, we only accelerate from speed A to speed B. Topspeed runs are not so common. Some Porsches are tough. I won nearly anything like BMW Z8, Mercedes SL 500, Porsche 993. My buddy got a 993. We raced to the Nuerburgring (on the autobahn). After this he sold his 993 and bought a 993 GT, a twin turbo to beat me .

I realy like to accelerate throu the gears, hearing our LT5 roaring. Nothing sounds better .

LuxZ, I wasnt at Hockenheim. Are you a member of the german forum at www.corvetteforum.de too ? You will find me there as well.

Thats it for now. cu on the board,

norbert
nowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #13
WB9MCW

Arrow Re: New on the board

Well thanks for the detailed description of running on the Bahn! Maybe LuxZ can comment on his experiences with the Bahn as well. I see the insurance companies have the upper hand there as they do here with their rules etc. on just who they are willing to cover and why. So silly the accident over 80 rule(on a easy 100+mph road). A bit like our 55/65--city/country speed limits and points system for drivers license retention!

"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by WB9MCW; 02-14-2006 at 10:00 PM.
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #14
LuxZ

I believe I am much luckier as my insurance company here does not mention any loss of coverage in such circimstances

Actually, I have not had lots of opportunities to drive at high speed on the autobahns yet (with heavy traffic, you frequently see cars jump from the middle to the left lane without taking care of high speed cars behind)

But I have to admit I have tested the car on other European highways at very nice speed

Norbert, no I have not been on your forum; as I do not speak German it would be difficult for me to chat with you on your forum!
LuxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #15
janozr1

DON T DRIVE FASTER THAN YOUR ANGEL CAN FLY .
janozr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #16
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowa
You MUST NOT overtake on the right lane, always on the left (a big difference to the US).
Most if not all States have the same rule. Slower cars to the right, pass on the left, not on the right.

But the US is full of ignorant drivers. I can sometimes cruise in the right lane and pass everybody and I'm doing maybe 5 over.

To top it off, the US is full of ignorant cops. I've never heard of anybody being pulled over for traveling in the left lane holding up traffic. it's just not as juicy a story as "I got a Vette speeding".
Old 02-14-2006   #17
WB9MCW

Exclamation Re: New on the board

I call em "LEFT LANE LOLLYGAGERS"....In my younger daze I used to pass up the LLL's in the emergency lane...woke em up everytime...but I grew up and don't do stupid *hit like that anymore. This funny sign says it all...................

Target: Left Lane Hogs - Finally!

Believe It or Not News... Source : Aol

by Eric Peters

Some good news: Left lane hogs are finally getting the attention they deserve from traffic cops -- and traffic laws.

In at least two states -- Colorado and Florida -- cops are begiining to target drivers who squat in the far left lane and refuse to move right to let faster-moving traffic get by. For decades, these drivers have been allowed to create rolling roadblocks and interrupt the smooth (and therfore safe) flow of traffic with virtual impunity because "faiure to yield" laws were either not on the books -- or not enforced. And twenty-plus years of ddumbed-down, politicized "driver's education" and "safety" campaigns had effectively propagandized the populace into believing their was only one cardinal sin -- "speeding."

And so the focus of traffic "safety" enforcement was speed limit laws -- which of course were often ridiculous (the best example being the 55-mph National Maximum Speed Limit that Congress finally repealed in 1995. But these under-posted, artificially low speed limits were found to be very useful in terms of generating an unforseen flow of easy money for state and local governments -- who soon became addicted. And it was so much easier for traffic cops to simply shoot fish in a barrel with their radar guns -- because almost every car on the road was going faster than the absurdly low posted limits.

Much easier than actually looking for dangerous drivers, anyhow.

This is finally changing, though.

In Colorado, state police have written more than 500 tickets to left lane hogs since the beginning of the year; in Florida, a bill is on the legilstive docket that would impose a $60 fine and four DMV "demerit points" on the driving record of motorists who refuse to allow faster moving traffic by.

Twenty years ago, this would have been an unthinkable violation of the politically correct orthodoxy that onle "speed kills" -- and therefore only enforcing speed limits (no matter how absurd or contrived) matters.

But in fact, people who refuse to move right represent a major traffic safety hazard -- whether "they doing the speed limit" (as they often bleat in self-righteous high dudgeon) or not.

By refusing to allow other motorists to get by, the left lane dawdler causes traffic to back up unnaturally; drivers then angrily jockey for position -- and typically are forced into making a passing attempt in the right lane to get around the hog -- who seems to get some sort of weird passive-aggressive satisfaction from his obstinancy.

The situation is frustrating, distracting -- and very unsafe. In fact, the lack of reflexive lane courtesy in this country is arguably the biggest single safety problem we have -- not "speeding."

Consider the example of Germany -- where yielding to faster-moving traffic is part of the national culture and adhered to religiously. As a result, it is possible for the Germans to have unlimited speed Autobahns -- where drivers in the left lane often overtake other cars at tripe digit speeds. But because German drivers are taught to use their mirrors -- and immediately move right to allow faster-moving approaching cars to pass -- they have a lower accident and fatality rate than we do here in the United States with our dumbed-down speed limits.

It will take time for the facts about the danger of left lane hogging to sink into the general consciousness -- the consequence of 20-plus years of neglect and outright disinformation peddled by know-nothing "safety" advocates.

But, at last, things are beginning to change for the better.

"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-22-2006   #18
Z Factor

I missed this last post Bryan.

I guess if we want autobahn type of speeds over here we need to drive to Montana.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006   #19
WB9MCW

"movin to montana soon,,,gonna be a dental floss tycoon,,,or was that mental toss flycoon!!!" Frank Zappa
Old 03-01-2006   #20
LeoLily

Welcome to both of you! And pay no attention to the "whiners" that don't like the speed limits here - that's what radar detectors are for!

I plan on hitting top speeds on I-80 in Wyoming on the way from Colorado to Utah for the July American Le Mans race at Miller Motorsports Park *heh heh*
LeoLily is offline   Reply With Quote