ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-11-2020   #11
Hib Halverson

Default Re: alluminum flywheel?

It's not the aluminum flywheels that rattle.

It's the transmission. The correct nomenclature is "gear rattle". It happens at idle and at very low engine speeds under light load. It occurs because, at idle and low engine speeds and only four firing impulses per revolution, engine speed actually fluctuates enough at a low frequency that the main drive gear and the counter gear start "rattling" because of the clearance between the teeth.

In the manual transmission nomenclature, "center distance" is the distance between the centerline of the drive gears and the centerline of the countershaft. The greater the center distance, the more pronounced the gear rattle will be. During early development of the S6-40, it was quickly obvious that gear-rattle was a problem.

The dual-mass flywheel designed for the first LT5?one of the first applications of that technology in a light vehicle?was a partial solution to gear rattle. The flywheel had a spring damped secondary mass the purpose of which was to "smooth out" the torque fluctuations caused by firing impulses at idle RPM.

Install an aluminum flywheel, which is a standard or "single mass" wheel, and you eliminate the gear rattle mitigating the function of the dual mass wheel. With an early-style, 610-Nm transmission, the increase in rattle is very noticeable. With a late-style, 540-Nm transmission, the increase is noticeable but not so bad.

As I was not a drag racer and liked the quicker engine acceleration which comes with an aluminum flywheel, I installed a McLeod aluminum wheel in Barney, my dear-departed '95 SN 140. There was an increase in rattle, but I cut that about in half by installing higher output ignition coils, then opening up the plug gaps by .010 or so and going to Red Line Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil which used a calcium-based EP additive package that has a cushioning effect between gear teeth.

Those solutions would still be valid, today.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020   #12
Karl

Thanks for the tips Hib. I have a spec aluminum flywheel and it weights ~18 lbs. Gear rattle is minimal compared to the fidanza. I also use the redline oil.

What high output ignition coils were you using?
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020   #13
EvanZR1

I have Pete's 391 and stage 2 cams with stock clutch & flywheel and the trans rattles a good amount, would hate to see what it's like with an aluminum flywheel. Doesn't really bug me much as the car is already loud and obnoxious. If I was running a car with stock cams, I don't know if I could bring myself to run an aluminum flywheel because the rattle would stand out more.
SOLD - Steel Blue 91 391cid ZR-1 #391
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
EvanZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020   #14
efnfast

I have a light weight, single mass flywheel. Not a big fan of the rattle, but just couldn't leave that additional hp laying around. ( I know, it's really not hp.)
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020   #15
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Thanks for the tips Hib. I have a spec aluminum flywheel and it weights ~18 lbs. Gear rattle is minimal compared to the fidanza. I also use the redline oil.

What high output ignition coils were you using?
At different times I had either Performance Distributors or MSD coils on my engine. I ran Denso IT22s with the gaps opened up about .010 more than the stock gap. The idea there was a bigger gap exposed more of the air/fuel charge to the spark. In some cases that would light a lean air/fuel charge which otherwise would not ignite making for a misfire.

The gear rattle is always worse if there is a misfire at idle. My strategies were to 1) reduce misfire at idle with hot coils and 2) bigger plug gap.

The "cushioning" effect of the calcium-based EP additive package in all Red Line Shockproof Gear Lubricants, mitigated the gear rattle problem.

I was never able to get rid of all the gear rattle increase from the use of an aluminum wheel, but I did reduce it such that it was less annoying.
current owner 19 VIN 1878

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 07-12-2020 at 11:35 PM.
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020   #16
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
At different times I had either Performance Distributors

Do you have a part number or source for the Performance Distributors ignition coil?
Old 07-13-2020   #17
BigJohn

Now you have me Confused again!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020   #18
Karl

I believe this is the part

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui-31727

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui-31733

"Screamin' Demon Coils"

*edit will these fit under the plenum without any issues?

Last edited by Karl; 07-13-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-14-2020   #19
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Here is my LT5 with the 13# Fidanza FW. The idle was bumped to 900 AND, per Marc Haibeck and Hib's suggestion, I switched to the Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil. Oh, also, the temp was ~ 25?F (in the video), but in fact the rattle (or LACK thereof) is also still true of summer temperatures - FWIW. The coils are stock GM AC/Delco and the plugs are good ol' copper core AC Delco 41-602s gapped @ .042" per Pete Polatsidis'

In contrast, Ami's Z has Pete's cams and AL flywheel, and it idles with a righteous sound thru the B&B catback, but it rattles in neutral like a box of rocks(!). (I doubt a ▲ of gear oil (to Redline or whatever) would make much difference tho...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1YFa8ruh8A

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020   #20
Flyman 27

When I purchased my ZR-1 it had a Fidanza aluminum flywheel in it. I absolutely hated it. It rattled loudly and I really got tired of explaining to everyone that the engine was not going to blow, it was just trans gears rattling. I am running a Haibeck 500 pkg.
Mark swapped a dual mass flywheel & clutch asm and I could not be happier with it. It is quieter, shifts smoother and no more rattles!
That's my 2 cents.

91-#1935 Black/black & gray, Haibeck 500
Cams by Pete
Flyman 27 is offline   Reply With Quote