ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-26-2019   #11
Roadster

Default Re: TB removal and then some!!!

Another point of confusion.....in the FSM for 1994 in Book 1 Section 1D for the 10PA17/10PA20 Air Conditioning Compressor Overhaul....on page 1D-5 lists the lubricant for the compressors.....which is GM P/N 12345923 PAG Oil or equivalent.....now on the back of the old and new compressors shown in the pics below....shows on the back labels ND-OIL 8 which in the chart above corresponds with Nippondenso 10PA ND8-PAG 46 ….now look above on the chart and you will find 3 listings right above this one that have GM Delphi/Harrision listed with the GM part # lubricant above.....but is for PAG 150 Oil.....just thought I would point this out....I will be using PAG 46

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019   #12
Roadster

The original unit....and the new one...20190526_220017.jpeg20190526_220032.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 05-28-2019   #13
Roadster

Just got off the phone with a tech person from Denso....had an interesting conversation….cleared up a few things for me....now if I can only understand them all...lol
Just passing on the info....
1-Replacement 10PA-17 #471-0339 units already have 4.1oz of ND-OIL 8
PAG 46 in the compressor...from the factory...
2-the system was not designed to be flushed out...if parts are that bad...they should be replaced rather than flushed....
3-when you empty the old compressor of oil.....the ideal amount to get out of the old compressor is 2oz....of course if different (you would need to adjust the amount to be added to the system to total your 8ozs)….and when adding oil....add through the accumulator..(which has been said to replace)..which may only be 1oz more or less needed... depending on how much oil was removed from the old compressor....he gave me a formula....but will have to go over it again and maybe a return call will be needed...
4-when the system is back together....he recommended to hold the Freon can upside down through the high side to push liquid through the system to get everything circulating....then start the engine and then turn the can right side up for the gas to go through the low side...
5-he does not recommend to use any other PAG oil other than the
PAG 46 ND-OIL 8....he said even though your system may work and appear to work fine with those other oils....that there can be durability issues that arise from the viscosity of those other oils...

I am by no means an expert on AC....this is a learning process for me...I am only relaying what was relayed to me....this info is not meant to say what you decide to do or have already done with your AC system is either right or wrong....just meant to pass on the info from talking with the tech guy from Denso....

Stay cool this Summer...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 06-22-2019   #14
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Just got off the phone with a tech person from Denso....had an interesting conversation….cleared up a few things for me....now if I can only understand them all...lol
Just passing on the info....
1-Replacement 10PA-17 #471-0339 units already have 4.1oz of ND-OIL 8
PAG 46 in the compressor...from the factory...
2-the system was not designed to be flushed out...if parts are that bad...they should be replaced rather than flushed....
3-when you empty the old compressor of oil.....the ideal amount to get out of the old compressor is 2oz....of course if different (you would need to adjust the amount to be added to the system to total your 8ozs)….and when adding oil....add through the accumulator..(which has been said to replace)..which may only be 1oz more or less needed... depending on how much oil was removed from the old compressor....he gave me a formula....but will have to go over it again and maybe a return call will be needed...
4-when the system is back together....he recommended to hold the Freon can upside down through the high side to push liquid through the system to get everything circulating....then start the engine and then turn the can right side up for the gas to go through the low side...
5-he does not recommend to use any other PAG oil other than the
PAG 46 ND-OIL 8....he said even though your system may work and appear to work fine with those other oils....that there can be durability issues that arise from the viscosity of those other oils...

I am by no means an expert on AC....this is a learning process for me...I am only relaying what was relayed to me....this info is not meant to say what you decide to do or have already done with your AC system is either right or wrong....just meant to pass on the info from talking with the tech guy from Denso....

Stay cool this Summer...
Finally got back to the ZR-1....the compressor only had 3/4 of 1 oz. in it...so it had to be leaking somewhere...new 94-95 ZR-1 specific AC compressor hoses came in....but were wrong....hoses were reversed....I imagine that they were for the LT1 compressor....most all of the vendors that show pics listed for the ZR-1 are showing the incorrect pic....some vendors don't even have an image posted on their sites.....finally found one vendor that carries the correct part....so we shall see with delivery on Tuesday....also ordered a new condenser....they appear to be the same for both the LT1 and the LT5....found it at a decent price....might not install as of yet and keep as a spare....depending on vacuum pull....
1st pic.....original assembly....
2nd pic....notice how the left top hose is directed to the condenser instead of the accumulator....and the right bottom hose is directed at the accumulator instead of the condenser...they are reversed from the original design....
So if you're looking for new hose assemblies....make sure to check them out before purchasing....
And the vendor I purchased them from had a UPS call tag at my door in just over 12 hours from my call to pick up the package....they were great....also found out that my replacement compressor was manufactured in Nov 2016...so only 2 1/2 years ago...so all should be good inside...[emoji16]20190619_161845.jpeg20190619_161905.jpg

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 06-22-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2019   #15
Roadster

Also just to clarify the conversation I had with Denso, twice now....is that I am not recommending anyone to follow any of the info stated above about adding Freon to the high side of the system....I think we all know what can happen when that is done with the ENGINE RUNNING.....just to clarify once again...that the Denso rep suggested adding to the high side first with the ENGINE OFF, not running....and then closing the high side valve.....open the low side valve and then START THE ENGINE and add the remaining amount of Freon to the system...is it absolutely necessary to follow the above procedure....absolutely not....as SAFETY is the first and main concern....the Denso rep felt that his procedure is a more efficient way of getting the Freon into the system...again...just wanted to clarify the above conversation.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 06-23-2019   #16
Roadster

The new compressor is installed.....but doesn't look like I'll be changing out the accumulator.....or the hose assembly...as more needs to be removed to remove them....also a known problem from what I read on the AC accumulator hose rubbing on the coolant crossover pipe....20190623_170916.jpg20190623_170929.jpg

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 06-23-2019   #17
Subfixer

I'm going through the same right now on my 92. I have replaced the condenser with a new one for 94-95 (R134a). Had to do a small mod to the oil cooler mounting holes to fit the new condenser.
Replaced the compressor (R134a), dryer, flushed the evaporator.
Waiting for the correct hose assemblies. Compressor set and dryer to evap.
Got the evap to condenser line with the correct R134a low side fitting.
Hope the new houses are correct. Been waiting 3 weeks for them.
1992 ZR1 #442, 2 tops, White, White, Haibeck 415, 3.90 gear, Coilovers
2018 Audi RS5, 2.9 V6 Twin Turbo, Auto, Black, Black
2021 Audi Q3, 2.0T, 8 spd Tiptronic, Navarro Blue metallic, Pearl Beige
Subfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019   #18
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subfixer View Post
I'm going through the same right now on my 92. I have replaced the condenser with a new one for 94-95 (R134a). Had to do a small mod to the oil cooler mounting holes to fit the new condenser.
Replaced the compressor (R134a), dryer, flushed the evaporator.
Waiting for the correct hose assemblies. Compressor set and dryer to evap.
Got the evap to condenser line with the correct R134a low side fitting.
Hope the new houses are correct. Been waiting 3 weeks for them.
I guess since you replaced the condenser, it was a breeze to replace the accumulator and will be for the hoses.....I really don't want to drain the radiator and take everything apart....I was trying to figure out a way to change the accumulator....but with the coolant crossover pipe in the way....doesn't look it will happen....so going to add some oil to the accumulator.....do a vacuum pull and see what happens, my hoses should be here on Tuesday....but will just keep them on hand for the future.

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 06-29-2019   #19
Subfixer

I was able to replace the condenser without removing the radiator (or draining antifreeze).
Removing the upper radiator support (PIA) and condenser/oil cooler was enough to move the radiator forward to get the accumulator out.
Still waiting for new hoses. First vendor jerked me around for 3 weeks promising delivery. Cancelled that order and went elsewhere, where the hoses were in stock. Should be here Tuesday.
I'll go with the suggested PAG-46 oil as well.
1992 ZR1 #442, 2 tops, White, White, Haibeck 415, 3.90 gear, Coilovers
2018 Audi RS5, 2.9 V6 Twin Turbo, Auto, Black, Black
2021 Audi Q3, 2.0T, 8 spd Tiptronic, Navarro Blue metallic, Pearl Beige
Subfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019   #20
Roadster

So Subfixer….that is great news that you didn't have to drain the radiator to change out the condenser and of course remove the accumulator....
I may do the same now, as I have both a new condenser and accumulator.
Any inside tips you can offer.....I did look at the upper radiator support and it does look like a PIA. But then once the accumulator is out.....the hoses are a breeze....
I sent back 2 sets of hoses to two different vendors, the first set was for a LT1 but marked for a 94-95 ZR-1....the second set was a repro ZR-1 set, but they packed it like a pretzel, put it in a box without any packing material and shipped it out.....needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper....the good news is that they both are refunding the full cost of the items.
So I either take a chance and find another vendor, or find an AC shop to replace and re-crimp the hoses...
Can you let me know which vendor you are using for the hoses, and can you keep us posted on the Tuesday delivery and how they look???
Thanks.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 07-01-2019 at 01:47 AM.