ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-06-2019   #11
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Exhaust Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX '90 ZR1 View Post
Thanks for the feedback Bill.
I believe I am pretty much sold on the Corsa exhaust at this point. I notice there are 2 systems. Do you happen to know which one is better or the recommended one?
Saw the numbers from your dyno run. Are the only modifications you have done the exhaust, headers & tune? Pretty impressive if so.
I am still pretty much on the fence whether to do any mods on my car as I have spent the last year making sure every last little thing is working as it should. Pretty sure I don't want to do anything that I can't put back to stock, but I would like to pump up the performance a bit.
Are you attending the South Texas get together in April? I plan to attend and try to pick up some pointers from other Z owners more experienced than me.
Thanks again for the feedback.

2 Corsa systems for the LT5 ? I think there are one for the L98 and one for the ZR-1..... Then the Later LT1s and LT4s. Total of 4 systems for the C4 run

However you have more options in the tips now. Black etc
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 03-06-2019 at 09:47 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #12
billschroeder5842

Kenny- what part of Texas do you live? I'm up in DFW and happy to let you drive my car.

The only modifications to my car are the SW headers and the Corsa system. However I asked Steve to do new injectors (FIC from Jerry's), coils, wire and new plugs along with his tune.

I think that the tune made a big difference and is essential after any serious exhaust work as all the AF ratios are altered. When I was at Steves shop, he showed me the charts/graphs/tables on his computer of the exact tune my car was getting before we ran the dyno. Even after the dyno "power pulls" Steve took out the chips and made some adjustments that really made a difference--- every car has a unique fingerprint.

You are on the right path!

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #13
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post
Kenny- what part of Texas do you live? I'm up in DFW and happy to let you drive me car.

The only modifications to my car are the SW headers and the Corsa system. However asked Steve to do new injectors (FIC from Jerry's), coils, wire and new plugs along with his tune.

I think that the tune made a big difference and is essential for any serious exhaust work as all the AF ratios are altered. When I was at Steves shop, he showed me the charts/graphs/tables on his computer of the exact tune my car was getting before we ran the dyno. Even after the dyno "power pulls" Steve took out the chips and made some adjustments that really made a difference--- every car has a unique fingerprint.

Bill did you get your shroud plug ?

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 03-06-2019   #14
WARP TEN

Quote:
Thanks Lou and Bob.
I had considered doing the cutouts. On Marc's site I read it to say the exhaust needs to be changed. Here's the quote.
"Headers are installed. Click here for more information on headers. A low backpressure exhaust system is required. The Corsa system works best. The B&B Triflow with an x-pipe also works well."
Cost of installing the cutouts goes pretty far towards a different system, plus my stock system is still unmolested if I don't do the engine and want to go back stock.
Just throwing ideas around at this point. Trying to make up my mind how deep I want to jump in!
If you want a stock look but better flow the later exhaust systems have a much less restricted center resonator than the 1990-91 one. Marc is right that the Corsa system is a high flow system--you can look through the resonator and mufflers--and it uses the Helmholtz Resonator technology to eliminate or minimize resonance (drone) as does the stock system. With my '93 I experimented with several exhaust systems in the mid-'90s including Borla, Power Effects, B&B and Corsa. Corsa was a good as the stock system for eliminating resonance; the others were not. (They may well have been improved since then). I liked the sound of the Corsa but your enjoyment of the sound of a system may be different than mine. I had a Corsa on the '93 for most of the years I owned it, and on the '95 as well. As an old guy, though, I just got tied of a loud exhaust all the time so I eventually switched back to stock with cutouts on the '95. I'd say you can't go wrong with a Corsa if that's what you want. And there are plenty of ZR-1s out there with Corsas that you can sample. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 03-08-2019 at 10:37 AM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #15
TX '90 ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
2 Corsa systems for the LT5 ? I think there are one for the L98 and one for the ZR-1..... Then the Later LT1s and LT4s. Total of 4 systems for the C4 run
However you have more options in the tips now. Black etc
After looking at the listings (pasted below) it appears the only difference between the 2 might be the outlet tips. Sure seems like a big dollar difference if this is all it is.

Corsa Corvette C4 ZR1 (LT5) Dual Exit w/Twin Pro-Series 3.5 Tips; 1990-1995
Corsa Performance
CATALOG # 007129
MPN #: 14117
$1,466.99

CORSA Corvette Cat-Back Exhaust C4 ZR1 5.7L V8 LT5 Sport - 2.5 Inch Dual Rear Exit with Twin 3.5 Inch Black Pro-Series Tips; 1990-1995
Corsa Performance
CATALOG # 00659089
MPN #: 14117BLK
$1,680.99

I got these from the LM Performance website. They are offering a 5% discount and free shipping.
Any recommendations of other places to check?
Appreciate the feedback.
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #16
billschroeder5842

Kenny,

I went direct to CORSA for my system. There is no real discount as they need to respect thier dealer network, but I was able to confirm what they had in stock and shipping direct saved me a couple of days.

Because I'm a freak, I opted to go with the black tips on the Cat Back as they matched my theme of dark red metallic and black. I ordered on Tuesday and had them on Friday. I had my buddy Allen over on Saturday and we did the full on swap in a couple of hours. Pretty straight forward.

GC.... Thanks and yes I did. I ordered the ones your suggested and it worked.

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #17
TX '90 ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post
Kenny- what part of Texas do you live? I'm up in DFW and happy to let you drive my car.

The only modifications to my car are the SW headers and the Corsa system. However I asked Steve to do new injectors (FIC from Jerry's), coils, wire and new plugs along with his tune.

I think that the tune made a big difference and is essential after any serious exhaust work as all the AF ratios are altered. When I was at Steves shop, he showed me the charts/graphs/tables on his computer of the exact tune my car was getting before we ran the dyno. Even after the dyno "power pulls" Steve took out the chips and made some adjustments that really made a difference--- every car has a unique fingerprint.

You are on the right path!
Hey Bill,
The closest town to where I am most of the time is Brownwood. This would be about 160 miles or so southwest of you in Southlake.
I hope to get to the get together the first of April and check out some other cars. Do you think you might be there? The one I have now is the only one I have seen in person since I had the new one back in the early 90's!
Still undecided as to how far I want to go with this car. It is very nice and everything works, but if I drop another 10 to 15K in it I am way out of the ballpark if I decide to get something else.
I can sort of justify the expense of an exhaust system just for my own enjoyment, but will be a while before I decide to go "full out" with it.
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #18
rush91

Quote:
After looking at the listings (pasted below) it appears the only difference between the 2 might be the outlet tips. Sure seems like a big dollar difference if this is all it is.

Corsa Performance
CATALOG # 007129
$1,466.99

CORSA Corvette Cat-Back Exhaust C4 ZR1 5.7L V8 LT5 Sport - 2.5 Inch Dual Rear Exit with Twin 3.5 Inch Black Pro-Series Tips; 1990-1995
Corsa Performance
CATALOG # 00659089
$1,680.99

I got these from the LM Performance website. They are offering a 5% discount and free shipping.
Appreciate the feedback.
I believe your right....I think the extra $200 is for the black tips. My 2 cents is exhaust are subjective as has been said on here. Corsa is just way to obnoxious to me, and I cant stand how the tips stick out of the back. In my mind the tips should be flush with the bodywork. I'm also in the frame of mind that there is nothing wrong with the stock tubing....I plan this summer on swapping my 91's resonator with probably Magnaflows 12468 muffler. And chopping off the mufflers and adding these from Corvette Central...

https://www.corvettecentral.com/c4-8...2f%3fcount%3d9

keeps the look of the LT tip, I know these tips didn't see production until 1992, but I always loved the clean look of those tips.

Last edited by rush91; 03-06-2019 at 12:39 PM.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019   #19
GOLDCYLON

Quote:

Corsa Performance
CATALOG # 007129
$1,466.99

Corsa Performance
CATALOG # 00659089
$1,680.99

Appreciate the feedback.

yep the extra $200 is for the anodized black tips

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 03-07-2019   #20
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Like U, I set my upgrading in stages, beginning with a 'cat-back' and progressing as $ allowed.

The two schools of thought are the Corsa and the 3" w/ the SW "X-pipe" and B&B Fusion system.

Marc's data supports the Corsa, while Pete Polatsidis has data that supports the 3" system. One example does not a trend make: more research needed before an absolute conclusion can be made. But, if in one case the Corsa worked best and in another the 3' system worked best, it suggests there can't be a lot of difference between them, power wise. However, the Corsa has for a long time been the choice for drone reduction. However, mods including use of the NPP "flapers" (installed on one of the two muffler outlets of each muffler) are quite effective at reducing drone as well.

Regardless of which system you install, know that the stock 90 cat-back is VERY restrictive. So, installing a free flowing system will require a modification to the chip calibration. And, if you revert back to stock, the calibration too will have to be reversed. Just sayin.

Marc has his car's tune optimized for running w/o mufflers (drag racing). You'll have to ask him what muffler he uses for street driving. But, the cut-outs idea appeals to me as perhaps the way to go: best of both worlds at the touch of a finger? (Bob Banks is a good source for a testimonial.)

Mine is a hybrid 3" system w/ a SW headers and "X-pipe" and Magnaflow mufflers (restrictive), and NO cats. One day I may opt for cut-outs. But, if I had it to do over again, I'd have to give the Corsa another look. But, I can tell you this: My wife has the old B&B 3" cat-back, and brother does it DRONE! Fortunately, her 91 ZR-1 also has a 4.10 gear so she can cruise in 6th gear and easily keep the rpm out of "the zone".

The simplest, and arguably the best performing system, one might spend the money and go with the Corsa and be done with the experimenting. Me? I like whatever works (for me). After 11 years I'm still not settled.

Clear as mud???

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote