ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-20-2017   #11
Dynomite

Default Re: Squealing Noise in the accessory area alternator, water pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvette View Post
Thanks, Paul,
Read an old post from you and tried that prior to disassembly. No change.
I just finished removing the belt and ran the car for 30 seconds. Did a few revs which had caused the noise to elevate previously. No noise while revving now.

I spun all pulleys and they feel great, except the power steering. If feels fine, but has a little give and makes a slight noise like its two pieces. When I spin it by hand I can see it has runout. All others are perfectly straight. I don't have a dial indicator hear, but would guess its 1/16 - 1/32". Is that normal or acceptable?

The noise was without question behind the alternator so the power steering pump / pulley has not been on my radar.
So.......it sounds (no pun intended) like it has got to be the alternator?

When you say PS pulley has run out......you mean the pulley is not on the shaft perpendicular? That happens sometimes but does the pulley have any play when you pull and push on it? If not.....having a bit of run out just means the pulley was not pressed on the shaft perpendicular. I think my Aluminum PS pulleys have a bit of run out also but no issues.

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-20-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017   #12
emmvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Try the open rubber hose trick. That said, the PS pump pulley does sound like at the very least the pump needs to be replaced.
I don't know what the open rubber hose trick is. I noticed last night the alternator and its fan were rubbing on the throttle body housing, so will lightly grind the housing and see if this cures the noise.

Will plan to get a new PS pulley on order shortly too.
Old 07-20-2017   #13
emmvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
So.......it sounds (no pun intended) like it has got to be the alternator?

When you say PS pulley has run out......you mean the pulley is not on the shaft perpendicular? That happens sometimes but does the pulley have any play when you pull and push on it? If not.....having a bit of run out just means the pulley was not pressed on the shaft perpendicular. I think my Aluminum PS pulleys have a bit of run out also but no issues.

I found grinding marks on the underside of the TBH last night, so I will trim and reinstall the alt. OK, I think you are understanding what I'm trying to say. I bet you are correct, it may not be on perpendicular. There is no play when I push and pull. It seems solid like it should be.
Old 07-20-2017   #14
emmvette

Well that was fun!! Guess what!? All mechanical parts are good. Whistling / squealing noise behind the alternator was a small plenum leak.

Kudos to Marc H. for some awesome telephone support to help diagnose. He really has a great mind for isolating and getting to the root of problems.

This morning we thought the alt was rubbing on the underside of the throttle body extension but found after a few simple checks this wasn't the case.

Anyway, its "fixed" for now with some high temp aluminum thermal barrier material I was using on my '68 for the firewall.
Old 07-23-2017   #15
onetinsoldier

I had a squeal in mine , it was the clutch bearing in the compressor . It actually came apart and cut of the snout off the compressor at the snap ring and they don't sell the front piece of the compressor by itself , so you have to get an entire compressor or find a core !
onetinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, water pump