ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-23-2013   #11
JThomas

Default Re: Look what I sat in today.

I was strongly considering the purchase of the new C7, but I was waiting on the "Z06 or ZR1" configuration in another year or two. I got to sit in one about a month ago now, and the room for a 6'6" guy has cause me to give up hope of owning one of these new cars. The seat track is about an inch shorter than a C6 and the head room was less.

The Corvette game was good for me for about thirteen years. Besides my ZR-1's, I have owned two C5's and one C6 Z06. They are by far the most comfortable Corvettes for me.
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #12
RedSled

No bargains in first year purchases in my book. May be worth waiting. I look forward driving one though.
1990, Red/Red #1383
Bone stock
RedSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #13
mike100

I'd have to sell both my vettes to get a c7. Not sure if it will be the best thing since sliced bread or not, but if it is anything like the C6, it will be all over the place once the tires are half worn trying to contain 6.2 liters with 285's.

Not really done with my 91 anyways. I will say that there has been an increase in unsolicited interest in buying my 2008 LS3 car- I guess the supply of affordable late model vettes is a little low and with the C7 pushing $60k for a new one, it looks like demand for nice C5's and c6's are starting to pick up.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #14
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Mc View Post
Nice car.

For that how many C4's could you get? I'm sorry but I'm just not as into the new ones (C5's, C6's, or C7's). Save the $'s Robert and put that toward that F40.

-Daniel
While a F40 is my dream ride I can sell all of my vettes and still be about 1.2 million short.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #15
ZR-1 Franz

As long as a new Corvette looks like any other sports car you can buy it will be
no alternative for my '91 L98 or the '90 ZR-1. So it's better for me to keep them
together with '64 Impala SS 409 and the oher Chevrolets (pickups and Blazers).
What I would like to get one day is a nice '70 - '72 Camaro SS or a Z28,
or a '73 LT / Z28. 1973 I had a new '73 LT 350, really fine car. It can't be compared
to the Corvettes I had and still have, but on the other side I should never have
sold it!

Best greetings from Switzerland,

Franz
Old 08-24-2013   #16
BigJohn

I don't like the no key locks and that you can't steer the car with out the engine running!!!

BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #17
LancePearson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
but the c7 will have a warranty and probably be more reliable
Until the two valve pushrod engine starts wearing valve guides and throws a valve...and you hope that happens under warranty. I'd argue the reverse, ours are reliable. Like he said, I wonder why and how long they will be able to keep a single car factory open at all selling 10-12,000 cars a year. They've pulled everything in house now to keep them busy and there is nothing left to do after that. I'm sure there will be an initial "buy a c7" cause it's new push but after that, there are several better options and at these prices, you'd think about them. The body is so close to a copy of the latest Ferrari it's not funny only the engine is rather weak in comparison. there are more and more cars with 400+ hp nowadays and I can make a fair argument that anything in 400-500 hp is all you need and more so that opens the field up considerably especially when you consider v6 twin turbos some of which can churn out huge horsepowers on 3.5 to 4.0 liter engines.

The world is changing and this latest 2014 is not really much more than just a tweak of what was with the latest electronics applied. I will keep my 91 and thank you very much rather than buy one.
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461

Last edited by LancePearson; 08-24-2013 at 03:28 PM.
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #18
LancePearson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar View Post
While a F40 is my dream ride I can sell all of my vettes and still be about 1.2 million short.
Robert...why an F40? The 458 and 599 in my view are far superior road racing cars. None are cheap but I saw one of the few Enzos ever made which were fast but extremely "twitchy" to keep on the road and the 458 and 599 are not.

In the meantime today when I did a little great weather twisty drive at the stop light with no one in front of me with the red 91 Z, when I shifted from first to second with dispatch the front end lifted a bit in attitude and the back end made this squealing sound and pretty soon I was in third gear just enjoying the bedarned out of the day....

The Ferraris are daydreams and the new C7 sounds interesting enough but just does not captivate me. By the time you get done with the extras to make it have the goodies on it you are going to be surprised at the price tag. The published min model retail is going to be hard to find with the "special builds" and options. I have yet to see a final weight on one with all the extras they have improved on it but there was word that they were not going to be lighter but heavier. Don't know how it got resolved but I'll let Jay Leno buy and drive my C7. I'm still a looney bird for the 91.

p.s. the cylinder deactivation seems to me to be the wrong way to go...hot cylinders next to cold cylinders, cut half of them off with valve and air/fuel control and only save 7%? Why not save 40%? I'd argue that it may be a disaster 30-50,000 miles down the road. Just because you CAN do something does not always mean you SHOULD do something and this one gets my vote for: don't go there.

Lance
Net Registry #1461
Old 08-26-2013   #19
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePearson View Post
Robert...why an F40? The 458 and 599 in my view are far superior road racing cars. None are cheap but I saw one of the few Enzos ever made which were fast but extremely "twitchy" to keep on the road and the 458 and 599 are not.

In the meantime today when I did a little great weather twisty drive at the stop light with no one in front of me with the red 91 Z, when I shifted from first to second with dispatch the front end lifted a bit in attitude and the back end made this squealing sound and pretty soon I was in third gear just enjoying the bedarned out of the day....

The Ferraris are daydreams and the new C7 sounds interesting enough but just does not captivate me. By the time you get done with the extras to make it have the goodies on it you are going to be surprised at the price tag. The published min model retail is going to be hard to find with the "special builds" and options. I have yet to see a final weight on one with all the extras they have improved on it but there was word that they were not going to be lighter but heavier. Don't know how it got resolved but I'll let Jay Leno buy and drive my C7. I'm still a looney bird for the 91.

p.s. the cylinder deactivation seems to me to be the wrong way to go...hot cylinders next to cold cylinders, cut half of them off with valve and air/fuel control and only save 7%? Why not save 40%? I'd argue that it may be a disaster 30-50,000 miles down the road. Just because you CAN do something does not always mean you SHOULD do something and this one gets my vote for: don't go there.

Lance
The F40 is just another one of those iconic Ferrari's and that is why I would choose that car. However, to be totally honest if I had 1.4 million dollars to spend on a single car I would buy the cars listed below.
Prototype ZR-1
Callaway ZR-1 LM Speedster
John Lingenfelter yellow 94.
Norms Twin Turbo.
59 Purple/Red retro LT5
63 Grand sport retro with an LT5 engine
65 Nassau blue 396 roadster
69 L36 black, black, white top roadster with factory wire wheels
78,06,13 Corvette Pace cars.
and still have 100k for gas and insurance. I am and always will be a Corvette enthusiast.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #20
LancePearson

Robert,
I'm laughing...I can't fit in a ferrari or a lamborghini but I sure appreciate their speed around road courses and handling.

For whatever it's worth you can take a 63 vette 327 engine and pump it up and make it into a rather fierce little road race car. Rather a surprising little beast handled correctly.

Lance
Net Registry #1461