ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-25-2005   #11
mrycar

Default relative

Don't know which relative it was, knowing my Dad, he could have let the one who wrecked his ATV 3 years in a row drive it. (it was a family reunion that weekend)

Heck, remember my Dad reaming me out when I didn't check the oil out, on any any piece of equipment I used of his. Even if it was a two foot drive. Don't know why he didn't check the oil.

I expect its the tappets, have a second set of tappets in the garage. Will investigate that when I tear engine down to rebuild it.

My dad called all excited with his new engine, although he see's a bunch of stuff not on the 91 engine, he was a bit nervous. Hope to put new engine in car during labour day weekend. Hope he can wrangle up a ECM, none in our inventories at work.

Thanks
Mike
mrycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005   #12
mrycar

Default swapping the engines

Have the engine out of the 91 and sitting beside the 93 engine. Noticed that the wiring harness is significantly different mating to the car. So am proceeding to remove the old wiring harness and install it on the new Engine.
Old 09-04-2005   #13
Patton

Sweet Jesus, I was feeling nervous about taking my plenum off... Good luck and keep us posted, very interesting!
Old 09-04-2005   #14
mrycar

Default old harness off, new harness partially off

Have one harness off, am cleaning it. New harness is coming off as we speak. Looking for replacement connectors for broken ones on old harness, ndon't want to butcher new harness.

I have had harnesses off many times, have a lot of experience with injection systems, and enough to count with ZR-1's . I used to wear a patch over one eye while working with a SCCA world challenge series ZR-1 runnign race team.
Old 09-04-2005   #15
mrycar

Default Adapted

Have the 93 engine outfitted with the 91 wiring harness. 93 Engine now has out 91 plenum and air horn. Engine is ready to slide into ZR-1

A few small differences in the harness the baro pressure sensor for determining relative Bars was under ecm on 91, is under the plenum on the 93, Low oil sensor on the passenger side of the 93, moved it from drivers side on the 91, plug type changed as well. o2 sensor plugs moved slightly from front to back.

EGR, was removed as am running 91 plenum and 91 wiring harness.

We saved the 93 harness and its now in my ever increasing inventory of LT5 parts.

The 91 wiring harness require several connector replacements, as they were in worse shape for wear. Replaced many of the plugs. Salvaged many from the harness of 97 SS Camaro, a few from my old FIRST injector system that once graced our 74 Vette.

Overall not a bad job, just time consuming.

Took a bunch of pictures. Too bad I don't have internet access at my home. (also the reason my old website y-car.com is off line).
Old 09-05-2005   #16
mrycar

Default Engine going in

am in process of installing the engine. Anyone ever manage to install the engine with at least one exhaust on it?
Old 09-05-2005   #17
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrycar
am in process of installing the engine. Anyone ever manage to install the engine with at least one exhaust on it?
With care, an engine can be removed with both manifolds attached, however angle adjustments must be made several times. So what comes out can go back in. However, GREAT care must be used not to damage the windshield so take your time.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #18
mrycar

Engine in the car, part of the harness wired up to body.

We removed the bellhousing and the driver side manifold (header), the engine then slid in without effort.

I now have to head back to MI, so hopefully my father can finish the project. I expect there needs to be some prom changes to accomodate the variance between the 91 and 93 engines.
Old 12-31-2005   #19
mrycar

Default Re: 93 engine into a 91 ZR-1

Finally had time off from work to finishing installing the ZR-1 Engine.

After getting all the wiring harness hooked up and everything bolted down. The ZR-1 started on the first crank.

The car ran great without the power key on. Unfortunately for my dad, when the power key was switched on it ran like crap.

I pulled the plenum, and attached a vaccum pump to the secondary lines. Had my dad hit the power key to test the switch. Confirmed switch worked and definite vacuum leak on secondary system.

Tested drivers side vacuum actuator, good; passenger side actuator was bad.

When routing the wiring harness, I had commented to my dad that the vacuum actuator on the passenger side crate engine was rotated 180 degrees from recommended position. This was a common mistake from the factory.

Well, after sitting for 12 years this vacuum actuator had cracked rubbers.

Pulled one the actuators off of his old engine, bolted everthing together and enjoyed the sounds of a proper firing LT5.

Swap of an 93 engine into a 91 corvette is complete.

Tasks needing done for the conversion are:
  • Removal of EGR system, make block plate for old EGR hole on plenum
  • Extending Oil sensor wiring from drivers side to passenger side
  • removal of 91 ECM wiring harness and attaching it to 93 LT5
  • (safely remove 93 wiring harness for someone else.)
  • removal of solid state ignition module underneath plenum and replace with 91 system.
  • Validate secondary actuators are rotated so that the flat backside is facing the outside of the engine. (reduces stress on rubber components int he actuator)
Optional things done for our system:
  • Replaced 93 plenum with 91 plenum
  • Repair 91 wiring harness, with new connectors
  • replace alternator due to wiring harness being galvanized to + stud on alternator
  • replace both actuators
  • use updated 93 grounding harnesses
  • Validate seconday actuators system opens fully by 10hg. (Ours did at 5hg)
Thanks for all those that provided advice.

Mike
Old 12-31-2005   #20
Jeffvette

Default Re: 93 engine into a 91 ZR-1

Mike, don't forget changing the secondary vacuum harness. Unless you did some other modifications to it.

Also, you shouldn't have had to change the DIS module as it's one part number for 90-95. But I guess it was easier to leave it bolted on when you swapped the plenum.