ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-10-2012   #11
ZR1North

Default Re: New Persepctive (for me) on Dreaded No Start

Thanks Scott. I hadn't seen the latter part of your quote in my previous searches on the Registry.

I understand this is not a problem in the 93-95 model years. If that is true, does anyone have a schematic of the GM-updated start-up circuit?
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #12
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Starter rebuild AND clutch bypass both help w no-start. I have both on the Black Rose and no problem in 95d heat days.
I agree that from reading these past years the unscientific conclusion is those two items are "thee" issues with starting.

Dom, when you say "starter rebuild", you refer to the armature (w/ new ring) and posts exclusively, or more than that??

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #13
ZR1North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
I agree that from reading these past years the unscientific conclusion is those two items are "thee" issues with starting.

Dom, when you say "starter rebuild", you refer to the armature (w/ new ring) and posts exclusively, or more than that??

P.
Good question. I was speaking with our resident expert on this, and he advised that there is a better filed coil available (presumably that would induce greater electomagnetic field to kick in the solanoid). I would look to replace the brushes and bearings as well while it is apart. Not sure if the armature would need replacing - perhaps not.

This solution resonates with me. I neglected to mention in my initial post that when my engine would not crank, I could hear my mod relay kicking in when I had the clutch depressed and the key on; so, the starter circuitry was working and the relay was delivering 12V (or something very close) directly to the starter. It seems to me that the starter was so heat soaked that with its current design, even a "normal voltage" is not enough to crank it once it wears a little.
Old 08-12-2012   #14
tomtom72

Is this what you're remembering Scott?

http://zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_troubleshooting.htm#Start

It's from our mothership's Maintenance section, "Troubleshooting" tab.

ZR1North, I just threw the ignition key switch issue out as another possible candidate for the "usual suspect" list because we as a group don't have it listed in our archives as one of the suspects. I'm sorry if I came across as that was the cause. My apologies.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #15
rhipsher

Just replace the starter. They are only about $120 from an auto parts store. You get a new or rebuilt starter with a new or rebuilt solenoid. When it happens only when your engine is hot then its not intermittent. If it happens when it's cold then it's most likely a clutch switch or something else. Mine had no start only when it was hot and I replaced the starter and have never had a problem since. That was three years ago.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #16
chriskinzel

I had the same problem last year. It would not stat if the engine was warm at all. Ii bypassed the clutch safety switch, still no start. Installed the new relay, still no start. Ended up replacing the starter and installing additional ground strap from starter to batterie. I have not had a starting problem since. Just my .02
Chris
91 ZR-1 Red on Red #922
chriskinzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #17
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post

ZR1North, I just threw the ignition key switch issue out as another possible candidate for the "usual suspect" list because we as a group don't have it listed in our archives as one of the suspects. I'm sorry if I came across as that was the cause. My apologies.

Tom
That version seems close to what I reposted. I think the one I found predates the Maintenance section though.
When we first read about someone's problem with the car we pretty much all pull up what we had as a solution. A normal response. Sometimes we can save an OP time because what we had as a solution is the most common fault. However, if its not the most common resolution it can lead the OP down a path. On this particular issue someone way before me put together a real good 4 step efficient traversal. I'm not even sure who did it anymore.
I keep it fresh in my head. Ya never know when "no start" will happen next.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people

Last edited by scottfab; 08-13-2012 at 10:25 AM.
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #18
ZR1North

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post

Tom
Appreciate the apology, Tom, but it's not necessary; everyone here knows you're first class!

I think one of the best points coming out of this latest discussion is that there are multiple causes for the no-start. The starter seems to be the likely cause when it won't crank when hot only. However, the other clutch switch, starter relay and ingnition switch are all issues as well. We might be wise to retain a rigrous maintenance regime on all those parts. Add to those VATS maintenance or override and we likely have it covered.

Great discussion as always.

Bob
Old 08-13-2012   #19
tomtom72

Thanks Bob for not thinking I was trying to be a wise guy!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote