ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-19-2012   #11
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Wobbly tilt steering column repair w/Marc H pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Craig........Concur...Marc Haibeck is the best and as I count has answered over 70 technical questions I posed to him over the last two years while rebuilding my 500 hp 91' Z. Marc has many free to see Articles, Presentations, Technical Information on his web site.

I am running 4 of Marc's custom chips in two corvettes and all 4 of his custom chips perform perfectly

Great "How To" on the steering column repair

Cliff
Yeah, I have even sent Marc money for his help; he never asked for it but I have used him so much for technical advice. One year I even sent him an Entertainment coupon book for his area.

I'm surprised that you're not burning your own chips by now? I'm just getting into it and learning, but will do this for the future as there is so much information out and there difficult to do my mail order for fine tuning.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #12
VetteMed

Default Re: Wobbly tilt steering column repair w/Marc H pins

I've tossed around the idea of changing the steering wheel to an aftermarket one... I'll be interested to see your choice of wheel, Craig!
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #13
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
I've tossed around the idea of changing the steering wheel to an aftermarket one... I'll be interested to see your choice of wheel, Craig!
Andrew,

It was a difficult decision and I won't tell you how long it took for me to decide on the Momo Competition. Initially I was going with Isotta and some bling, but took a hard look at my interior and what would complement it best:

The hub/quick release (2.5) and lock are all matte black from NRG.

Craig

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 02-19-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2012   #14
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Andrew,

It was a difficult decision and I won't tell you how long it took for me to decide on the Momo Competion. Initially I was going with Isotta and some bling, but took a hard look at my interior and what would complement it best:

The hub/quick release (2.5) and lock are all matte black from NRG.

Craig
Looks like it should fit in the C4 interior nicely! I had a similar wheel in my 88 IROC, but I guess I've been hesitant to lose the airbag in my Z.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #15
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
Looks like it should fit in the C4 interior nicely! I had a similar wheel in my 88 IROC, but I guess I've been hesitant to lose the airbag in my Z.
Thanks. I hear you and thought the same about losing the airbag, but I think about all the years I had my hotrods and crashes with no airbags when I was younger. I think I might be more afraid of them. I guess it all depends on what type of accident, but they do save lives too.............I just have survivor benefit plans and insurance for my wife to make sure she is taking care of and I hope my ZR-1 never ends up being my coffin.

Old 02-20-2012   #16
tomtom72

Yea it's me again.... To test if your tilt is worn out you have the wheel locked and just try to get some movement in the up & down plane, so how much movement should there be, none? Or is it any and you need this pin? I am guessing if I never noticed slop in mine, I proly don't have any?

I don't use the wheel to get in & out of the car...I use my left arm on the sill as leverage to get out, and my legs to get part of the way in till I get my left arm on the sill again on the way in....it's hard to describe, but I don't use the wheel as a support for my body. I'm sure I look very odd getting in & out of my car!

TIA

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #17
Hammer

Talking Re: Wobbly tilt steering column repair w/Marc H pins

I am not sure the wobble comes from getting in and out of the car. The wobble that the pin fixes, or lessens, is from the upper right to the lower left. If using the wheel to get out, you would grab the upper left side of it. So, I think this wobble just happens due to normal wear of a part engineered incorrectly. Just a thought.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #18
HAWAIIZR-1

Tom,

According to Marc, "the tilt mechanism had about 3/8" movement to the lower left when the car was new".

That is about what I have now after the pin repair. If you never noticed, you are good to go. It annoyed me with the movement and my wheel was moving just about 3/4".

Old 02-20-2012   #19
tomtom72

Thank you John and Craig. I am glad to report that I just tested it and I see no reason to take it apart.

However now I am suffering from anxiety as I tested it prior to bringing Her to the body shop to get the bumper replaced. I guess this is "separation anxiety"? If it is, I do not like it at all!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #20
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Thank you John and Craig. I am glad to report that I just tested it and I see no reason to take it apart.

However now I am suffering from anxiety as I tested it prior to bringing Her to the body shop to get the bumper replaced. I guess this is "separation anxiety"? If it is, I do not like it at all!
Great news and good to hear you don't use your wheel to support your weight in/out.

Missed the news about the bumper replacement and sorry to hear that.