ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-25-2018   #11
Z51JEFF

Default Re: LT5 Lettering Refresher

I’ve had decals made in the past and when the time comes I’ll have a template made. Not hard to make,just find what you need or take a picture of it and have the decal business scan it,bring I up to the right size then they cut it out. The most expensive part is scanning the picture,getting it cut is the cheap part. Once the program is made you just pay for a simple copy. Last time I did this the scan was as $75.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #12
Bob Eyres

Speaking of getting decals made, I got a ZR-1 Net Registry decal with my recent 2018 membership. It looks like it's supposed to be stuck on the outside of the window. I don't see how that's going to last in the Fla. sun.
Is there any way to get it reproduced in an "old school" type of decal that can be applied to the inside of the window. Like GM did with the one commemorating the record runs on my 91'?
I know this is the way most modern graphics are applied now, but I can't stand vinyl stuck on the outside of a window...
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #13
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
I’ve had decals made in the past and when the time comes I’ll have a template made. Not hard to make,just find what you need or take a picture of it and have the decal business scan it,bring I up to the right size then they cut it out. The most expensive part is scanning the picture,getting it cut is the cheap part. Once the program is made you just pay for a simple copy. Last time I did this the scan was as $75.
I have my own raster to vector software and do the scanning myself. I'll look into what vinyl will make the best template to avoid bleed through with the rough cast finish.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #14
G-Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Stillwater had a masking template and literally sprayed over the letters back and forth a couple of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlTOfK0_INE

In the above video you can see the template which was lowered onto the top of the plenum about 3:21 and the hi temp bbq temp black paint applied
Interesting technique in the video. With a little effort, someone could probably make one with a 3D Printer out of about any material desired.

Ha. And I like the idea of passing it around like the Stanley Cup!
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #15
tpepmeie

Let me go on record by saying if someone reproduces a durable, accurate stencil for the plenum and cam covers, I'll buy a set. Tremendous time saver if someone can pull it off.

pepmeierengines.com

Friend us on Facebook too: www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011443683384
Pepmeier Engine Development
tpepmeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #16
B17 Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpepmeie View Post
Let me go on record by saying if someone reproduces a durable, accurate stencil for the plenum and cam covers, I'll buy a set. Tremendous time saver if someone can pull it off.
A 3D printer might be able to make a stencil a possibility...

See video at 6:04 to see an example of a 3D stencil and 6:21 for an example of what the stencil looks like printed:

Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daWjcdwzNEc

B17Crew
B17 Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018   #17
TealZR1

Thanks Paul and all for your help for my original post. Acetone would be a good chemical to touch up around the letters before the paint dries. Another product is any good citrus cleaner to remove dry or wet paint. Citrus breaks down the paint really well. I sold industrial chemicals and that is what Delta would use for removing paint and also glue from stickers they would place on the plane.
I ordered the "mask" product and will give an update on how it works when completed.
TealZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018   #18
9T1 Red ZR1

Hi,
You should ask Dempsey at Evolution Motorsports (Oracle) He powder coated my plenum and cam covers and painted the letters red and it turned out great. I don't know how he did it, but it looks nice.

Bill