ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-29-2015   #11
Roadster

Default Re: GoPro or Action Camera guys

Which model go pro is everyone using?
I see Hero 3 and Hero 4 models, big difference between them? Thx....

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015   #12
Kevin

hero2 and 3 here
Old 01-29-2015   #13
RussMcB

Default Lots of great choices out there.

I have heard good things about the third and fourth generation Go Pros, but I had such bad luck with the first 2 gens I'll never give that company another chance. There are plenty other, probably better cameras to choose.

My last three cameras (which I was very happy with each):
  1. Mobius 1080p (very small, great picture, low price)
  2. Replay XD 1080 Mini
  3. Contour 1080p

They were all used for in car race videos. The first two were chosen because they integrated with my data acquisition system. The DA system automatically started the recording (a nice feature when you're all belted in), and the software created videos with data overlay. Fun stuff.

Whatever camera you decide to buy, spend an hour searching on the web for people having issues. If you see a lot, get something else.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015   #14
Billy Mild

I got the SJCam SJ4000 WiFi camera. It is a great budget minded cam. It has great picture quality IMO.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015   #15
5ABI VT

I use the gopro 3+ black edition. I waited until the 4 came out and prices dropped a little. I just started making a few videos with it but I haven't used it outside yet. Just sticky on the harness bar inside the car but I want to get something that will clamp tighter. I also ordered an external mic and Ill be running it through the car to between the exhaust tips for better exhaust note. I plan to order the gopro suction mount Il be editing a little footage of my car mixed with my ab gran turismo car in gt2 on playstation by recording from the exact same angle as the game cam
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015   #16
Bob Eyres

The Go Pros are good. And their mounts are quality pieces.
It's all about mass and weight, these cameras are so small and light that, even at speed they don't put too much stress on the mount.
Keep the paint clean, a little wax would help, and keep the suction cup clean too. A little Vaseline on the rubber cup will help keep it sealed.

I think the Sony might have a little less weight and mass, so might stay on more securely at speed.

Inside the car, almost any camera will work well. Back in the day, I rigged a 3lb. Sony PD150 on Lane Goldstein's 8 second ZR-1 with no problems, even during wheelstands and chute deployments )

Check B&B Video in NYC for more heavy duty mounts that the camera manufacturers don't provide.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote