ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-16-2014   #11
csavaglio

Default Re: flickering dash

Well, a couple days and about 150 miles and I haven't seen the flicker. I don't want to jinx it, but it seems like the battery did it. I'm surprised, because it never didn't have any other issues.....it always started fine and everything.

Chris
csavaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014   #12
Fully Vetted

Mine did it until I replaced my battery about a month ago.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014   #13
Schrade

New battery fixes dash flicker.

Sounds good to me; but I'd sure like to know how THAT works

Any electronics gurus here, can 'splain it??? Given ALL grounds are correct.......

Gotta' have somethin' to do with pulse width modulation?
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014   #14
Billy Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
New battery fixes dash flicker.

Sounds good to me; but I'd sure like to know how THAT works

Any electronics gurus here, can 'splain it??? Given ALL grounds are correct.......

Gotta' have somethin' to do with pulse width modulation?
Take the battery terminals off and spray them liberally with some battery cleaner. Then spray some of the battery cleaner in the bolt hole. That should give you a nice clean connection.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014   #15
batchman

I have found that when I get dash flickering (remembering I use a battery 1/4 the size of most) if I jiggle the "dimmer" it stabilizes, seems like a noisy pot in a circuit sensitive to signal to noise ie lower signal (battery V) same noise = higher ratio (maybe it is PWM). Moving the pot reduces the noise.

HTH,
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014   #16
csavaglio

Well, guys, I just made the move from Las Cruces to Colorado Springs....about 550 miles...in the LT4. The first half was in pouring rain with the lights on. No flicker.....

I'm gonna pronounce the flicker fixed.

Great suggestion on the battery. I've had previous cars do weird things when the headlight switches get iffy too, which I why it was my first thought after checking all the cable connections.

If I were the OP, I'd give the battery a shot. Worst case is it's good peace of mind having a fresh one in the car.

Chris
csavaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014   #17
Franke

Quote:
Originally Posted by csavaglio View Post
Well, guys, I just made the move from Las Cruces to Colorado Springs....about 550 miles...in the LT4. The first half was in pouring rain with the lights on. No flicker.....

I'm gonna pronounce the flicker fixed.

Great suggestion on the battery. I've had previous cars do weird things when the headlight switches get iffy too, which I why it was my first thought after checking all the cable connections.

If I were the OP, I'd give the battery a shot. Worst case is it's good peace of mind having a fresh one in the car.

Chris
Welcome back to Colorado O'wise one!
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014   #18
8cam

I know I replied to this thread, but apparently it flew into the ether somewhere. My battery is about 18 months old and since I drive the car almost every day, it should be in good shape. I'll check it with a real meter this afternoon. The only time I notice this flicker is at idle, usually when the a/c is running but I have seen it with the a/c off too. I've had voltage regulators fail before, but those really show symptoms when running. I wasn't sure if this flicker might be an early sign.

I have noticed that my a/c compressor creates a LOT of load on the engine, and it does make some noise. For such a big powerful engine, I wouldn't think the compressor would cause much of an impact. But it's definitely noticable - the engine is nowhere near as lively with the a/c on. So my other thought was compressor bearings on the way out, creating too much drag on the engine.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014   #19
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cam View Post
I know I replied to this thread, but apparently it flew into the ether somewhere. My battery is about 18 months old and since I drive the car almost every day, it should be in good shape. I'll check it with a real meter this afternoon. The only time I notice this flicker is at idle, usually when the a/c is running but I have seen it with the a/c off too. I've had voltage regulators fail before, but those really show symptoms when running. I wasn't sure if this flicker might be an early sign.

I have noticed that my a/c compressor creates a LOT of load on the engine, and it does make some noise. For such a big powerful engine, I wouldn't think the compressor would cause much of an impact. But it's definitely noticable - the engine is nowhere near as lively with the a/c on. So my other thought was compressor bearings on the way out, creating too much drag on the engine.

We just got back from a 300 mile trip from Gettysburg with the ZR-1 and the flicker is still there slightly but once I am moving, it goes away, and doesn't seem to return. The A/C works great and my engine runs just as good with the A/C on or off, I haven't notice a difference in power or performance either way. It just gets up and goes when needed......

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote