ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-10-2013   #11
Kevin

Default Re: "drive the hell out of it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
Anybody on here that personally knows me knows that I've pushed mine to the absolute limit to where it had no more to give many times and didn't wreck it, Loose control of it or have a tire blow out at the speeds I've had mine up to in the past. I got all of that out of my system years ago and just cruise in it once in a while and admire looking at it in my garage nowadays.
Kevin just do your own top end porting. All it will cost you is your time. A few carbide die grinder bits and some sand paper. No divorce needed. And it will be much more exciting to drive than a stock ZR-1.
I don't even like eating a sandwich I made myself because it always has blood and bits of my fingers in it...
Old 12-11-2013   #12
yzpilot

I just look at mine in the garage! I have only put 5 miles on it since I have owned it! But....as soon as the ECM gets here this week....I am down to run with Kevin anytime!! Drive it til the wheels fall off!!
1991 #422
Blk/Blk
yzpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #13
JThomas

My car is all stock except for a program from Marc Haibeck, that makes the fans come on earlier and eliminated the 1-4 shift. I pretty much drive mine casually but every now and then I like to remind myself what it was designed for and I have autocrossed it once. The car is too small for me to get serious/comfortable to drive too aggressive, so I save that for my Z06, in a controlled setting, of course.
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #14
Racinfan83

Mine is all stock except for the Haibeck chip as well. No intentions of changing it unless something happens to the cat converters in which case I will do headers and exhaust. I have all the stuff to switch the seats out to 95 Sport seats - waiting for a nice day to do that. (I don't really consider that a "mod" though) And I romp on it about every time I drive it - just not a lot of places around here to do that with all the cops.... Most I've ever been able to get out of it was a short run on a service road and I had to let off at 107 in 3rd..
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #15
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

With regard to 7000 rpm, it was Dave McLellan that said (in effect) running the LT5 to 7000 rpm is no problem, "And, the motor will thank you for it!"

One does need to get the secondaries open and then cruise with them open on the highway whenever you can. Otherwise the intake valves get really gummed up and coated with carbon. (Marc spoke of this at Bowling Green a couple years back. Keeping the throttle above 5%(?) after opening them will do it.)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #16
Blue Flame Restorations

I run my Turq car through the gears eat least once every time I drive it. The car is just too much fun and brutally loud not to.

The Purple car just gets driven around the 1.3 mile block of my neighborhood every two weeks or so. It's so smooth and quiet that you barely notice it's not an LT1 car. Feels like a Cadillac. LOL
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project

Last edited by Blue Flame Restorations; 12-11-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #17
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsLT5 View Post
Exercise what secondaries, removed and happy
Ditto
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #18
Bob Eyres

Here's one more vote for "Driving the Hell out of it". I've been doing that for nearly twenty years now.
I can't imagine any other rational reason to own a ZR-1.
You don't have to go really fast, just to the red line in the first four gears.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #19
5ABI VT

I baby mine when its clean. After 5 minutes of driving I kniw theres dust all over it and it will get a wash before it goes out next time.. Its all over from then on lol ! In the few months I've owned my z Ive rolled vs about 15 cars on the freeway and tried to top her out twice and 150 mph say about 190 times
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #20
DaveK

I tend to drive mine fairly sensibly most of the time. There are too many idiots on the road to do otherwise, not to mention the cops around here are not very tolerant (and we have two lots of them - OPP and RCMP. I choose my moments carefully

That said, I've had the Z on the track and thrashed it with relish - would do it a lot more if I lived closer to a track

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote