ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-14-2017   #11
secondchance

Default Re: How do I know the FX3 works?

Another, more tricky way is to ground pin within ALDL plug and put the system in self diagnostic mode. SRC codes are 31, 32, 33 & 34. If you don't see any of these codes, your system is working.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...fx3-issue.html
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #12
billschroeder5842

Thanks- this helps a lot

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #13
RussMcB

Mine's noticeable by seat of the pants. Sometimes I'll leave it in a setting and subconsciously (then consciously) notice it doesn't feel right. For instance, if I leave it on soft (on the highway with the wife), later I'll notice it's mushy. If I leave it on stiff (after a track day or mountain run) and leave it there by accident, I'll notice that later, too.

Maybe try doing your favorite twisty road (preferably with bumps) with the different settings, back to back. Hopefully you'll feel the difference.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #14
secondchance

Another variable is the weather. In the summer, I can discern tour, sport and performance setting by the seat of pants. In the winter, when the temp goes down, all settings just seem stiff.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #15
Fully Vetted

New shocks will def help you feel the difference. New shocks are around $800. I can tell you regardless of your miles if you've got original shocks they need to be replaced. Not many seals will hold up for 20+ years of heat/cold. I replaced mine at 40k miles and it was world of difference.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover

Last edited by Fully Vetted; 03-14-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #16
Mystic ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
New shocks will def help you feel the difference. New shocks are around $800. I can tell you regardless of your miles if you've got original shocks they need to be replaced. Not many seals will hold up for 20+ years of heat/cold. I replaced mine at 40k miles and it was world of difference.
$753 including free shipping AJ USA
Just got some...
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #17
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette73 View Post
If you aske me it rides hard in every setting......But yes, there is a big difference between touring and performance.....I live in NY, it's always in tour....
tour is too soft for me, damn thing feels floaty at highway speed. I leave it in sport and that's usually fine.
Old 03-14-2017   #18
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghlkal View Post
This is a good question. I'd like to know the answer too.

I have a Tech 1, but I don't have the Mass Storage cartridge. Does anyone know if the Tech 1 can check out the FX3 system (with or without the mass storage cartridge)?
If you don't have an MSC and you don't have a software cartridge marked "Chassis" then your T1 does not support SRC, but you really don't need a scan tester to read fault codes. All the T1 does is ground the SRC diagnostic pin of the DLC. You can do that yourself with a paper clip or a jumper wire.

Both of these...

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Turn the ignition switch to on position without starting the engine. This will light up all warning lights above the radio. Check and see if "service selective ride control" light is lit up. If it lights up that confirms the warning light bulb was not removed or burnt out. Now, if the light turns off and stays off while driving, means the system is operating correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Another, more tricky way is to ground pin within ALDL plug and put the system in self diagnostic mode. SRC codes are 31, 32, 33 & 34. If you don't see any of these codes, your system is working.
...are not completely accurate.

The service light on, with codes set or not set, is only indicative of the condition of the system's electronics and whether or not the actuators are working, but says nothing about the hydraulic condition of the shocks other than that the bypass valves move.

Also there are eight other SRC codes besides the four listed above.

For more information on SRC diagnostics and function see the Electrical Diagnosis Supplement to the 1991 Factory Service Manual. For additional info on SRC see this article on the Corvette Action Center site.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017   #19
billschroeder5842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
tour is too soft for me, damn thing feels floaty at highway speed. I leave it in sport and that's usually fine.
So, I'm conflicted at the moment. I put the car in "Tour" and yes, the system works and the car feels softer, however I like sport better.

BUT....

The softer ride has noticeably quieted some of my creaks and pops in my dash and console. This helps to calm my OCD and penchant for "tapping the dash" while driving so I can located the noise.

I'll try the Tour for a while longer. It is NOT that bad and certainly does not take anything away from the car.

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017   #20
Kevin

There's a big difference between texas roads and pa roads.