ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-08-2017   #11
QB93Z

Default Re: Connector part number needed

Thanks for all the help and information. I got the replacement kit connector from Rock Auto. I disassembled my damaged connector and was able to save the original wiring and the wire seal was in good condition. I will upload some pictures from my phone.
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017   #12
QB93Z

The red tool is the "probe" that is inserted in the connector to release the tang so the wire can be pulled from the plug:

This picture is the assembled connector and the "pigtail" that came with the kit. (Which I didn't use):

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member

Last edited by QB93Z; 03-08-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2017   #13
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
My question Jim would be "why is that happening?"
Short of using gold-flashed (plated) connectors, it is only a matter of time before exposure to air (especially salt-air or other corrosive vapors) will react with bare metals to form a barrier of oxidized metal and/or deposits between the metal connector contact points - thus introducing resistance to the connection. That's where trouble begins!

Watts (heat) = current (amperes squared) x resistance (W=I²R) So, connections carrying relatively high current loads are especially susceptible (heat increases at the square of the current flow!). In automotive circuits motors of all types, and heavy load items like headlights, battery terminals, etc, benefit from a little extra attention to prevent (or delay the inevitable) corrosion/resistance build-up leading to resistance and HEAT.

Heat cycles and time have a way of attacking insulation; connectors especially. Air (oxygen) and other corrosives born in it is the main culprit. Anyone running boats in salt water or electricians can tell you about the effects that electrolysis has on dis-similar metals (e.g., aluminum wiring and brass hold-down screws...).

Dielectric grease or other insulating materials can prevent air and its contaminants from making physical contact and thereupon acting/reacting with the metal connectors - as long as they (protective material) too can keep from being attacked by the elements and heat. But, short of hermetically sealed, welded/soldered connections, protective coatings too are susceptible to the elements and eventually break down.

And, then there is metal fatigue - where the spring tension forcing the physical contact within the connector itself deteriorates with heat cycles (especially). Contact surface area is thus reduced and resistance goes up.

21-27 years is plenty of time for the elements to have effect on connectors - especially those not protected and/or carrying higher currents will fail first and those that are somewhat protected...just take longer.

Ain't driving older cars fun!?

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017   #14
QB93Z

Your analysis is absolutely correct Paul. The good news is that the connectors are readily available and we can maintain them as needed.

Jim
Old 03-09-2017   #15
-=Jeff=-

Jim.. more info on that red tool please
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017   #16
QB93Z

I don't remember where I got the wire terminal removal tool, but here is a link to an Amazon listing. There is even a video of using the tool:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-57750-W...connector+tool

There are other versions that perform the same functions.

I have used these tools many times. Terminal and connector repair is an important part of C4 maintenance.

Jim