ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-20-2016   #11
Roadster

Default Re: Finally.....The Correct Size Alternator Pulley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
On the Box end I took a torch and bent a 90 deg (at the box) and within an inch another 90 deg back.
Thanks, I have some extra 15/16" wrenches, I think I can do that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
These very early Blue-Point offsets I'd think would do quite well for the chore.

http://alloy-artifacts.org/snapon-bl...-tools-p4.html
Looked up some on ebay, seemed expensive......at least the ones I saw!!!

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016   #12
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Thanks, I have some extra 15/16" wrenches, I think I can do that!!!
I use a acetylene torch and make that first bend as close to the box as you can.....as you like....hit the outer edge of that bend with a grinder when done bending. I actually bought the 15/16 inch box wrench new for around $5-$6.

Keep the Bend RED HOT and Bend Slowly with just a little pressure (do not force it). It will bend itself

After modifying the 15/16 inch combination box wrench it is still very usable as a normal combination Box Wrench.

I also have 8mm combination Box Wrenchs I did a little modifying on to reach those 8mm bolts on front of oil pan without raising engine.

The normal Offset Box Wrench does not have a steep (Right angle) offset as you can achieve with an acetylene torch.

Two more MCH-208 Alternator Pulleys will be installed tomorrow for more photos

Just make sure the 5/16 inch Allen is FULLY installed in the center Alternator Shaft before you start cranking on the 15/16 inch Open End combination Modified Wrench (with cheater box wrench on end). It DOES take a lot of torque to loosen that 15/16 inch Nut holding the Alternator Pulley.

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-21-2016 at 01:57 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016   #13
Roadster

Quote:
I use a acetylene torch and make that first bend as close to the box as you can.....as you like....hit the outer edge of that bend with a grinder when done bending. I actually bought the 15/16 inch box wrench new for around $5-$6.

Keep the Bend RED HOT and Bend Slowly with just a little pressure (do not force it). It will bend itself

After modifying the 15/16 inch combination box wrench it is still very usable as a normal combination Box Wrench.

I also have 8mm combination Box Wrenchs I did a little modifying on to reach those 8mm bolts on front of oil pan without raising engine.

The normal Offset Box Wrench does not have a steep (Right angle) offset as you can achieve with an acetylene torch.

Two more MCH-208 Alternator Pulleys will be installed tomorrow for more photos

Just make sure the 5/16 inch Allen is FULLY installed in the center Alternator Shaft before you start cranking on the 15/16 inch Open End combination Modified Wrench (with cheater box wrench on end). It DOES take a lot of torque to loosen that 15/16 inch Nut holding the Alternator Pulley.
Appreciate the tips.....will have to wait til I get out to the 74, as that is where the torch is, and my buddy has more experience using it than I do.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 10-22-2016   #14
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
How about that! I had to have the back machined for correct offset. Seems you found one with correct offset. Congrats!
This Pulley can be installed without removing anything including the Serpentine Belt (except the Original Alternator Pulley).
Look for MCH 208 on Summit Racing MCH-208 or Ebay MCH-208

The MCH-208 is the same Diameter as the Stock Pulley. Actually the MCH-208 is just a tad larger diameter.
Use a 1/2 inch Adapter on Socket Wrench to Unload the Belt Tensioner when removing/installing Pulleys.

The Offset of the MCH-208 is identical to the Stock Pulley.
The Stock Pulley has a removable Offset Collar.

See All Aluminum Alternator Pulley

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-25-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2016   #15
Roadster

I just might have to order that MCH-208 pulley after all and have it all ready for the replacement unit whenever it may be needed......

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 10-25-2016   #16
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I just might have to order that MCH-208 pulley after all and have it all ready for the replacement unit whenever it may be needed......
Do NOT install the Pulley onto the Alternator on the Bench tightly as you want to make the final installation of that Alternator Pulley once the Alternator is Installed on the ZR-1.

This Pulley can be installed without removing anything including the Serpentine Belt (except the Original Alternator Pulley).
Remove the Alternator Pulley (takes 1 minute) and position NEW Alternator Pulley inside Serpentine Belt and lift up the Alternator Pulley and Serpentine Belt with Belt Tensioner compressed (Keep Serpentine Belt aligned with Belt Tensioner Pulley). Now just slip the Alternator Pulley onto the shaft (very easy to do and plenty of play) and tighten up the 15/16 inch Alternator Pulley Nut.

Lastly......install the Aluminum Alternator Pulley Cap with the three Allen Head Bolts provided with just a little torque as they are threaded into Aluminum.

The MCH-208 is the same Diameter as the Stock Pulley. Actually the MCH-208 is just a tad larger diameter.
Use a 1/2 inch Adapter on Socket Wrench to Unload the Belt Tensioner when removing/installing Pulleys.

The Stock Pulley has a removable Offset Collar which is NOT used in the installation of the Aluminum Pulley.

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-25-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2016   #17
secondchance

Quote:
The Stock Pulley has a removable Offset Collar which is NOT used in the installation of the Aluminum Pulley.

This is odd/interesting. What year is the alternator for? For 94 Z OEM pulley does not have the spacer/collar you are showing. I had to have the billet pulley machined to mimic OEM pulley shown with dished back.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016   #18
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
This is odd/interesting. What year is the alternator for? For 94 Z OEM pulley does not have the spacer/collar you are showing. I had to have the billet pulley machined to mimic OEM pulley shown with dished back.
So far I have installed this MCH-208 on 90's.......will check 91 and 95 later and appears will have to adapt as you suggest. I am not sure how the stock pulley is offset on a 95'. I am thinking the 91' is identical to the 90' in regard to the Alternator

I am now curious that my 200 amp Alternator on my 95' might actually be 90' compatible in regard to the Alternator Pulley.
If that be the case....I am all set with MCH-208.

The Alternator I exchanged on my 95' I think did not have the separate spacer but did have a boss as part of the Pulley. Did your 94' Alternator Pulley have a boss as part of the Pulley? Is the Alternator cooling fan recessed just a bit where the separate spacer would sit?

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-25-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-25-2016   #19
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
So far I have installed this MCH-208 on 90s.......will check 91 and 95 later and appears will have to adapt as you suggest. I am not sure how the stock pulley is offset on a 95. I am thinking the 91' is identical to the 90' in regard to the Alternator

I am now curious that my 200 amp Alternator on my 95' might actually be 90' compatible in regard to the Alternator Pulley.
If that be the case....I am all set with MCH-208.
I like this mod. with those side on side piece Pics I now see how it all fits together. Please let us know what you find out on the different alts. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016   #20
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
I like this mod. with those side on side piece Pics I now see how it all fits together. Please let us know what you find out on the different alts. GC
I just checked a rebuilt 124 amp alternator I got from O'Rielly Auto and it is identical to the 90's I just installed MCH-208 on. I think I gave them my 95' alternator in exchange. Anyway.....O'Reilly lists the same alternator for 90' and 95' ZR-1s. But I will check the 200 amp Alternator Pulleys I have on the 91' and 95' ZR-1s for which I am installing MCH-208s.

I am now thinking All ZR-1 Alternator Fans have a small recessed (about 2 inches in diameter) around the shaft for which either a separate spacer or pulley with boss will function the same. The Boss is about half as thick as the separate spacer since the separate spacer fits into a recessed stock pulley. You can see the Boss and the Separate Spacer set the Pulley (Stock with recess and spacer or MCH-208 with Boss) the same distance from the fan recess around the shaft.

In both cases the inside flange of the Alternator Pulley almost touches the fan surface at the outer diameter of the Alternator Pulley.

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-30-2016 at 09:48 PM.