ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-30-2016   #11
onetinsoldier

Default Re: Aarrgh! crack in my windshield!

your insurance probably wont cover it unless it obstructs your vision ! dont call them, get a hammer ! a rock fell off a truck on the highway................! I saw a company on ebay that sells reproduction zr1 windshields , about 2600.00
onetinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016   #12
ZR1North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZR1 View Post
Looking around the car with a flashlight and I notice this crack at the bottom driver's side corner of my original windshield. Almost invisible without the flashlight at the right angle.
I guess the good news is that it begins and ends at an edge so it won't travel but what would cause a crack at this location?

Thanks,
Roger
Roger,

If you are considering replacing the windshield, you might want to check with Rob DeMarco (founding member) who has an original ZR-1 windshield that I understand he'd be willing to part with. I am not displeased with the replacement I used from the aftermarket vendor mentioned earlier, but it isn't as good (obviously) as the original if you're considering replacement.

Bob
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016   #13
BlackZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetinsoldier View Post
your insurance probably wont cover it unless it obstructs your vision ! dont call them, get a hammer ! a rock fell off a truck on the highway................! I saw a company on ebay that sells reproduction zr1 windshields , about 2600.00
onetin, Good suggestion. If the damage was more visible I might go for it but I'm thinking I can live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1North View Post
Roger,

If you are considering replacing the windshield, you might want to check with Rob DeMarco (founding member) who has an original ZR-1 windshield that I understand he'd be willing to part with. I am not displeased with the replacement I used from the aftermarket vendor mentioned earlier, but it isn't as good (obviously) as the original if you're considering replacement.

Bob
True, even if I don't replace now it would be great to have a spare standing by.

Thanks,
Roger
1990 ZR-1 #2699
Black on Black
15,000 miles
Full-time secondaries, 4.10 gears, C-beam plates, ported top end
BlackZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016   #14
onetinsoldier

That's probably your best solution , I have had windshields replaced in two of my vettes and they just never seem to get it factory right again ! I had one person drill new holes in the pillars , water poured in , I had to remove the seal and weld the holes up and repaint the pillars ! So if you can live with it , leave it alone !
onetinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016   #15
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1North View Post
Roger,

Bob
How so? I've never seen one of the replacements in person, so I'm curious.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016   #16
ZR1North

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
How so? I've never seen one of the replacements in person, so I'm curious.
It's a great fit, but the "radar cut-out" is much more pronounced than on the originals; one can definitely tell the difference between the two from a distance. That said, it DOES have the cut-out which you won't get on a regular C4 glass. If I had know Robert had an original, I would have definitely gone with it.

Since originals are nearly impossible to find, I'd personally opt for the ZR-1 replacement rather than the regular C4 windshield, but striking gold is finding an original.
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote