Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-06-2016   #11
randy ransome

Default Re: Nitrous

Here's an old article about Nitrous on a ZR-1

1991 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 - Out Of Reach
Nobody Can Touch This 10-Second, Nitrous-Fed, ZR1 Monster

Kevin Shaw Apr 10, 2007 1 Comment(s) Share
Sorry to break the news to our Corvette Fever loyalists who didn't already know, but Corvettes weren't ever musclecars. Factory-built musclecars were a niche-market product aimed at the swelling baby-boomer, late-teen and early twenty-something demographic: a growing population of impulse buyers and consumers. frankly put, it was an advertiser and salesman's dream come true. Most commonly agreed upon by automotive journalists and historians, John Delorean's daydream turned reality-the GTO-paved the road for future musclecars: stripped-down, bare-bones sedans and coupes with minimal frills and lace, but with the most horsepower and punch each particular manufacturer dared to drop between the inner fenders. Most musclecars shared platforms and body panels with the more sedate family-geared people movers, distinguishing themselves from the masses with catchy badging and decals. By checking off a series of boxes on the order form, the Oldsmobile Cutlass suddenly became the menacing 4-4-2; the Buick Skylark transformed into the GS and the legendary GSX, a demure Plymouth Satellite erupted into a Hemi-powered Road Runner; the lowly Tempest roared to life as the GTO; and the austere Ford Galaxy would metamorphose into a R-Code 427.
Corvettes, on the other hand, weren't ever intended for teenagers or the artsy Greenwich Village crowd; the ad execs at General Motors slowly evolved the Corvette's image from America's answer to the European roadster to the standing example of U.S. sportscar machinery. the General retained the Corvette at the cusp of the performance edge with such equipment as independent rear suspension, four-wheel power disc brakes, fuel injection, the first American-produced vehicle with anti-lock brakes, and the first production vehicle with a dry-sump oiling system on the largest displacement factory small-block engine in history. Unlike its past musclecar brethren, the Corvette was expected to not only accelerate excellently, but to brake, corner, handle, and otherwise completely dominate its asphalt terrain with haughty superiority.
Benchmarks in performance litter the Corvette's long record; vehicles with cryptic names like Z06, L88, LT1, L89, and LS6 still ring loudly in the ears of enthusiasts, but one in particular rattles the halls of performance history still today-the ZR1.
We're not going to take the time to go over, yet again, the genesis of the legendary Mercury Marine-built, Lotus-designed, four-cam small-block. Rather, we're more interested in showing how Rod DeWild turned his already insane from-the-factory-floor ZR1 into one of the fastest, street and course-proven Vettes that Corvette Fever has ever dared to feature. Normally, power-adder-equipped, nitrous-fed, turbo-charged, super Vettes are the fodder of the more garage-thrasher friendly magazines.
Rod says getting to the point of ownership was the hardest part, "at that time, I never thought I would be able to own one. It seemed so far out of reach due to the high price tag [in 1990]. At the time, I was driving a $400 piece of junk Audi Fox." It took some time to warrant the monthly payment, but Rod gave in, drove to the dealership, asked to take this very same black ZR1 out for a spin, and quickly fell in love. He says, "The salesman didn't bother to go with me for the testdrive, so I took it to the interstate, turned the valet key on, and opened it up."
Corp_0703_01_z 1991_corvette_ZR1 Front 2/13
Corp_0703_02_z 1991_corvette_ZR1 Engine_bay 3/13
Stroked
The plenum may read 415 ci, but in reality, this four-cammed beast boasts 421 cubes. This engine has been stroked and bumped up to 12.5:1 compression, and pressed with direct injection nitrous via a Nitrous Express system. Filled with Crower camshafts, it also boasts ported and polished performance-angle-cut cylinder heads.
Corp_0703_03_z 1991_corvette_ZR1 Badge 4/13
Tricky
These emblems tend to bend the truth to the casual street racer.
Corp_0703_05_z 1991_corvette_ZR1 Shifter 5/13
Monster
Only the master craftsmen at LPE dared to make such a conversion on a similar ZR1, but that particular monstrosity wielded twin turbos and considerably more funding. Rod says he just likes to have fun with his 600-horse ZR1 street machine. We can't blame him one bit.
Corp_0703_04_z 1991_corvette_ZR1 Trunk 6/13
Magic
Rod's magic in a bottle is hidden here between the rear braces of the DRM cage. Computers help to distribute the special sauce over the power band, making the most out of the direct-injection system.
It wasn't long after Rod drove the Corvette home that he began digging inside the quad-cammer's internals. The Lotus-designed heads were ported and milled by fellow craftsman Greg Van Deventer. Once returned, Rod personally tackled the task of cutting a competition valve job on the heads. The factory valves were retained but with back-cut stems. The block was bored out and built to total 368 ci, but that manifestation didn't last long. A Jerry Crews billet stroker crank replaced the factory unit, while the block was fitted with custom liners, torque plate honed and clearanced to accommodate the wide stroke made by the crank and rods. strong Oliver billet steel 5.850-inch rods mate to Bill Miller Engineering forged and dry film-coated 12.5:1 pistons with Childs and Albert Tool steel rings. Rod needed to replace the factory cams with new Crower hydraulic .465-lift bumpsticks. The final cubic inch tally was an impressive 421 cubes topped with a 63mm throttle body, a ported plenum and injector housing (crafted by Greg Van Deventer), a forced air intake, and a LPE Samco intake hose. A direct port Nitrous Express feeds the cold stuff into the chambers, pushing the pony count up to 600-plus horsepower whenever Rod so desires. Since this is all-new technology, a progressive nitrous control module, a wide-band O2 sensor with a data log, and a Doug Rippie customized computer controller with a personalized tune for Rod's combination were needed.
Though, the experience of rowing one's gears is unmatched in the sense of interconnectivity between the driver and machine, Rod knew there was much to be said for an automatic's prowess on the dragstrip. A GM 4L80E automatic with a Compushift "stand alone" computer took the place of the factory MN6 manual six-speed crash box. Rod documented his '91 ZR1 as the second to ever have undergone such a conversion, citing Lingenfelter Performance as the first when they married one to a twin turbo'd ZR1 years earlier. Controlled by a TCI shift kit with a 3,000-stall with a three-disc lock up, the 9-inch Precision Industries torque converter can nearly snap your neck when launched at full load. The telltale sign of the conversion is present in a B&M Mega Shifter poking out of the center console. A custom C-beam housing had to be created for the conversion. Instead of the factory IRS, DeWild Performance installed a Dana 44 rear with steep 4.11 Viper GTS gears and billet spindles. DRM coilovers and shocks at each wheel lowered the black ZR1 into the ground, while Rod skips between 15x311/42 skinnies and 18x911/42 HRE's up front when he's not racing and 15x11-inch Weld Racing rims and 18x12 street meats out back. Since the tech guys at any NHRA-certified track are sticklers for the necessary safety equipment, Rod installed a DRM rollbar and rear bracing.
Corp_0703_06_z 1991_corvette_ZR1 Interior 7/13
Shift
The B&M Mega Shifter is the only giveaway that this ZR1 is touting a heavily rebuilt 4L80E automatic transmission. The rest of the cabin is covered in factory dressings.
Rod and his father, Norm, are the DeWilds behind DeWild Performance in Henderson, Colorado. Dedicated to building some of the best performance engines in the Rockies, Rod has tinkered on several trick rods and street machines, including a custom '40 Ford with a 448ci small-block Chevy with Nextel Cup cylinder heads and plenty of plumbed nitrous, and a fearsome '92 GMC Typhoon with a stroked 383 pushing a stout shot of squeeze.
Rod laughs off inquiries about his ZR1's current streetability, saying he uses it as a daily driver when he's not at the drags. With the old 415 stroker, the inky-black Vette ate up the Beech Bend Raceway quarter-mile in 10.6-seconds at 131 mph. Official times haven't been made since the implantation of the 421ci quad-cam stroker, but with all the goodies-with or without adjusting for the nose-bleed altitude-it will happily smash that time with cold, mechanical enmity.
One thing is for sure, Rod DeWild's '91 ZR1 eats musclecars with a knife and fork.
MORE PHOTOSVIEW FULL GALLERY
Corp 0703 Pl 1991 Corvette ZR1
randy ransome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016   #12
Hib Halverson

Intro: nitrous oxide, is an "oxygen bearing compound". When nitrous oxide along with extra fuel are injected into the cylinders, once the compression stroke heats the air/nitrous/fuel mix to 575°F, the nitrous breaks down into nitrogen and oxygen. Since the proportion of oxygen in nitrous oxide is higher than that in air, you end up with a very lean air:fuel ratio. Add extra fuel and the engine makes more power.

First, heed the advice above and run a dry system and that means the extra fuel needs to come though the injectors. A wet system on an engine like the LT5 is just asking for trouble in the form of an intake manifold explosion.

Wet systems on port injected motors can really be fun if the nitrous and fuel aren't right and the engine spits back thought the intake. A long time ago, I built a Chevy Beretta with nitrous. Back then no one had a dry system for a 2.8L V6 so I put on a wet system that NOS made. Several times during really cold weather (good air) and when I tried to use nitrous below 3000 rpm, I hit the nitrous and BANG! the motor spit back big time, the MAF quit and the check engine light came on. One time the manifold backfire was so big, afterwards, I smelled smoke, pulled over and found the filter in engine's air box on fire. Needless to say, my wet system nitrous days with that Beretta didn't last very long.

Second, for a 100 or 125 shot to work well you're likely going to need bigger injectors and how much bigger is going to be determined by how much extra fuel flow you need.

Thirdly, the extra fuel.
I've actually never done nitrous on an LT5, but I've done it on other port fuel engines. Typically, you'd apply reduced nitrous pressure to the FPR and that bumps fuel pressure up. The increased pressure increases fuel flow by an amount needed by the nitrous oxide provided that the fuel supply system can produce the extra flow. Remember, for a given set of fuel pumps, when you up the pressure the pumps' maximum available flow goes down. If the required fuel flow exceeds the maximum available flow, the engine goes lean under nitrous oxide operation and then, bad stuff happens.

Fourth, the spark calibration.
This is a challenge too because with the nitrous working, even though it's an antidetonant, sometimes the dynamic cylinder pressure gained by burning the extra fuel and oxygen from the nitrous oxide, is more than enough to overcome the antiknock qualities of N2O and cause detonation. Rather than let EST solve the problem with KR, you're better doing some testing then retarding spark in the cal by an appropriate amount such that, with nitrous enabled, the engine is for the most part out of detonation. The main reason for this is, once the engine is in detonation, it takes more KR to stop it than if the spark was retarded enough such that the engine didn't detonate. Additionally, if you currently have an aggressive spark cal, it's possible that right at the nitrous hit, if the extra fuel doesn't get there in time, you may momentarily have so much detonation that there's not enough KR to stop it. But then, the only way to do all that is have a PROM switcher, so...most people let KR keep them out of trouble.

In short, the challenges are 1) making sure you can get the needed fuel flow with the pressure increase, 2) tuning the nitrous pressure delivered to the FPR and 3) getting the spark cal right.

The last motor I did nitrous on was a 3.8L V6 in a Camaro. Wiithout the gas, the motor made about 300-hp SAE. When I hit the bottle it went to 385-hp SAE. An "85 shot" on a three-eight V6 with a stock lower end was plenty.

Lastly, nitrous works bitchin' if the system and the engine are configured and tuned right but if the system is not set-up right, nitrous is great at blowing up motors in short order. Like any "power-adder". The easy part of buying it and bolting it on. The hard part is tunning it so the engine makes power and is reliable doing it.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016   #13
Billy Mild

Interesting. It would be a pain to swap between tunes. It would be nice if you could have the "Normal" tune be for no nitrous, then "Full" power mode that has retarded timing and upped fuel pressure for the Nitrous.

It's the only way I know that you could do multiple times without reflashing the ECU all the time.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016   #14
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
Interesting. It would be a pain to swap between tunes. It would be nice if you could have the "Normal" tune be for no nitrous, then "Full" power mode that has retarded timing and upped fuel pressure for the Nitrous.

It's the only way I know that you could do multiple times without reflashing the ECU all the time.
I think this is one of the features of the MS3-Pro ECU. They mentioned the option of using the Power Key to switch between programs.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016   #15
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post

??
The ECM in a ZR-1 cannot be "flashed" as the PROM is not a "flash-PROM or EEPROM. It's just a "standard" EPROM and for that you have to have special equipment to "burn" the chip.

You need a "PROM switcher". I don't even know if you can still get them, but they were common back in the late 80s and the 90s.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016   #16
-=Jeff=-

http://www.moates.net/gx-switching-a....html?cPath=64
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016   #17
A1990

This is the one I have. It appears the EX switch pictured, which I have, is not the one currently available.

http://www.moates.net/g2x-tbitype-sw...pter-p-86.html

The remote switch is here:http://www.moates.net/ex-remote-switch-wled-p-47.html
90 ZR-1 #2562 Atomic-Z
ZR-1 Net Registry Chairman of the Board
ZR-1 Net Registry Treasurer
A1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016   #18
edram454

If someone can get a dry nitrous system worked out for the zr1 including the prom situation, I am sure many of us would go for it. Like a fool proof system not running on the ragged edge but maybe a 100 horse shot. It sure beats the alternative in expensive engine porting and stroking etc... just install the zr1 lt5 nitous system and pick up 100 horse. use when needed only, you dont have to be putting up with lopey cams and hot engines etc... flick the electric bottle opener, turn on the bottle heater, a slight purge and away you go!! All of a sudden your stocker 340 rear wheel horse z is not pumping 440 to the wheels!!

ed ramos #3028

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016   #19
Fully Vetted

Even better is if you've already done the port work. Go from 430 to 530 to the wheels.

BTW...I've never had overheating issues. Just sayin'...

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016   #20
edram454

I agree! I was just saying for those who have stock cars and those of us who have modified cars... the gains are fantastic!! I would be over 500 horse too, just imagine the look on the faces of those guys with these new supercharged cars when they see the power the lt5 350 cube engine can deliver. 100 horse is mild,, 150 is mild too... I said 100 to be super safe and never have any issues hitting the nitrous all night long! The motor is stout enough to take a harder shot of nitrous and still be o.k.

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote