only 550 hp....... must be stock cams?
Polo-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #12
petefias

Default Re: DRM600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo-1
only 550 hp....... must be stock cams?
I believe DRM regrinds the stock intake cams. The HP rating may be without headers. The DRM website quotes the HP ratings 550-600.
petefias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #13
GOLDCYLON

Nice car!
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #14
ZRWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF
hour glass shaped=Black Widow?
Here's a link to the Black Widow info although it's a little outdated vs what he's done recently... http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...lackwidow.html

Here's picture of my "almost Black Widow" that JVD refers to in his Black Widow story

... and here's some more Black Widow folklore...this from a recent post by Jim VanDorn to the ZR-1 net:
"So it goes....Well uh, once upon a time we were all doing up a thread on our cars and a couple of guys said theirs was for sale. When asked about the cars they posted a "For Sale" type ad so some of the rest of us joined in. Seeing as how my car was a somewhat frequent of the local tracks I came up with an ad something like this:
For Sale: 1991 Corvette with GM performance package. Wrinkle black painted engine (easier to keep clean), roll bar and 5 point safety harnesses (safety reasons only), very large brakes. This vehicle has low miles, in fact, it is adult driven mostly for short trips on the Weeknd, usually only a 1/4 mile or so at a time....
And thus the Weekndr was born to the net.
As for the uniqueness, #1119 is the last of the Black Widow engine packages (#8) which were a special GM blessed package where the engines were removed, sent back to MeCruiser where they were fully ported and custom timed from knowledge gained from Tommy Morrison's racing ventures with the ZR-1. The packages developed approx 475 hp. When the news came that the ZR-1 program was coming to a halt, GM directed MerCruiser to end the engine enhancement option. Mine was on the bench when the program was scrubbed and was hastily put back together to get it out of the door. Later, after GM calmed down, MerCruiser guys asked for the engine back so they could spend some more
time on it and make sure it was all it could be. During that time, they had
made several improvements to the porting package so #8 got a bit more than the other 7.
I named the packages "Black Widow" after seeing their red letters on the
black painted engines. Reminded me of the black widow spider. It stuck and when Tony Young was writing his book "Heart of the Beast" he included the Black Widow engines in it.
Of the eight cars, several have been destroyed but the others remain with
new owners. I believe I'm the only original Black Widow owner left. The
eight Black Widows are often referred to as the rarest of all the ZR-1s.
The Weekndr has been more fully documented than any other ZR-1. It has
appeared in numerous articles including Corvette Fever (several covers
also), Heart of the Beast (led the parade through the MerCruiser facility),
and in the 1994 Motor Trend article it appeared in, it was described as the
following:
"This Corvette is the over all fastest Corvette we've ever tested and in
fact, it is the third fastest vehicle in Motor Trend history."
This took into effect all of their tests which included standing 1/4 mile,
slalom, lateral skid pan, braking, and top speed. All test cars were also
asked to pass a California emissions test.
The Weekndr is currently here in Bowling Green where it has starred in
various event and group functions. It has also been rumored to have been
seen at nearby Beech Bend Racway...on the weeknds only of course...:-))
HOT OFF THE PRESS: Rumor has it the Weekndr may be up for sale in the very near future in order to make room for yet another project....
jvd & the Beagle"
picture of Black Widow # 8 LT5...
ZRWON '90 #553 & BEAST2 '93 #211, an AutoMasters Street Skinner version of a BlackWidow LT5
[URL]http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_faq.htm#66[/URL]
NCRS#894
"It's not the car; it's the people"
...Doug Johnson 1953-2003
40 years VETTE history @ [URL="http://home.comcast.net/~bbstrow/"][COLOR=#555555]http://home.comcast.net/~bbstrow/[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p21dz80uGaA"][COLOR=#333333]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p21dz80uGaA[/COLOR][/URL]

Last edited by ZRWON; 02-11-2008 at 10:42 AM.
ZRWON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #15
rkreigh

550 isn't bad at all for an "old school" 402

the porting and cam tech has come a long way since then.

price out building that level of power, even now, and the car looks to be a pretty schweet deal.

also keep in mind that LPE did some of the engine builds for DRM, they didn't talk about it much, but Rippie "outsourced" some of the work from what I have heard. anyone know for sure??

either way, buying is cheaper than building, and no waiting!!
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #16
Polo-1

So, 550hp or 460 rwhp is good for a 402. That pretty soft. Mark H has a 385 with stock cams that puts out more. 368ci with stage1 cams is 550+.

Not saying this or any "old school" is junk, it's just very mild. Or did not get cammed or headers? Maybe it still is blowing through stock manifolds for smog check? I dont know..

Still is a nice car for money, dont care for purple.
I thought Black Rose would have been more red
Polo-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #17
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh

also keep in mind that LPE did some of the engine builds for DRM, they didn't talk about it much, but Rippie "outsourced" some of the work from what I have heard. anyone know for sure??

Only thing I know is some porting work was outsourced. As far as I know Doug is the only guy there working on LT5's.
Old 02-11-2008   #18
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo-1

Still is a nice car for money, dont care for purple.
I thought Black Rose would have been more red
It's a color change car... it's almost black in certain light, but brightens up in sun.

Old 02-11-2008   #19
LGAFF

I know mine was a DRM 415, the car was not taken to DRM to my knowledge but intake sent to them. The intake was Extrude honed, and if you have seen my prior post, openings at the plenum to IH were in the 34mm range with ample room for addition porting, not sure if this was the same as it is a 94. Also as just noted the 63mm TB was not port matched as the plenum was 60mm.

Might find the extra HP if a full port was completed.

LGAFF
92 ZR1

Last edited by LGAFF; 02-11-2008 at 10:25 PM.
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #20
bradslt5

I dont mean to disagree but i had a 92 lt1 that was black rose car . they have a tendency to look different in different light . like in the last pic the hood is up . and look at the inside of the door jambs . has anyone asked if its a repaint .? hate to see anyone convicted if its not true .jmho
bradslt5 is offline   Reply With Quote