ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-05-2015   #11
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Fender badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
If "The General" intended there to be anything "on the hood" it would have been pierced for the install. I'd say that anything added to the '90 in that vicinity takes on what might be considered "ricer".

The '90 only has the distinction of the "TPI molding. That needs to be enough.

I saw some snapshots a few weeks ago and I believe I saw a couple of cars with LT5 badges on both ends of the car, even that looked like a "bit much". A single ZR-1 on the rear UNLESS "The General" pierced the hood. The '91 & '92 looks much better than the '90 with the ZR-1 hood-badge.

Under the hood? I believe the way "The General" intended looks much better than some.

Of course that JMO -
Pardon me for noticing, but "TPI" on the fender rib is practically nothing, style-wise, compared to the introduction of the convex bumper and squarish tail lights!

To each his own, for sure. But, fender badges be damned! In 91 the entire base model body style practically immolated the ZR-1's distinctiveness. (Talk about a RIP-OFF!) If it was GM's intent to obliterate the ZR-1's distinctive body cues - and I believe it was - the badges are about the only clue left to a layperson, including "Corvette people"!

How subtle the ZR-1 clues? Case in point... The near total "makeover" of the base C4 to look like the ZR-1 is very striking when a ZR-1 badge shows up on the base C4 where it doesn't belong!

Note: I took the picture of this C4 right after I bought my base 95 C4. It wasn't until I bought my ZR-1 that I realized I'd been spoofed by the fake badge.

The 90 is unique too like the 62 Corvette: part older style and party the new. So, for that reason, and the TPI reference on the belt, I'm less in favor of addition of fender badging...but not entirely. (I just likeum. Subtle enough as to only whisper at the surprise hidden under the hood!!)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-05-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015   #12
XfireZ51

Paul,

If u want to be subtle, swap the TPI belt molding and find one that says
CROSSFIRE INJECTION. Then really surprise people!
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015   #13
C4Ray
Banned
BANNED

Jeff,

I like the sticker. I'm not a huge fan of badges but the ZR-1 being such a unique machine-I understand why badges are viable. Just make sure the sticker is high quality and does not fade or discolor.
C4Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015   #14
-=Jeff=-

Stickers have been on for 7 years.. Time for a change... Maybe
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015   #15
BigJohn

My car came with the ZR-1 Badges; two on the hood and one on the rear bumper.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015   #16
Mystic ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
My car came with the ZR-1 Badges; two on the hood and one on the rear bumper.
They're not there now.
Mystic ZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015   #17
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
They're not there now.

Do you still have my curb feelers?

BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015   #18
WVZR-1

"BADGING" is a crazy thing, I generally went out of my way to de-badge anything that I owned and most from where I was raised either substituted or did the same thing. The V-283 of the Impala/Chevelle was a good seller to the guys with the 327's - filled the holes and required "no paint". If you had a Pontiac it required paint to de-badge the 421's and try to sneek around. The Fords were the same 352/390/427.

The 421 badge/emblem "stayed" on my Pontiac. Everyone knew anyway but so did many of the guys who spent the loot to swap for the smaller CID badging. They weren't fooling many, no locals.

I sold to a Mustang/FOMOCO re-seller V-6 emblems from the Grand Am by the "dozens" of various colors and the chrome/bright. The RAM AIR V6 were big sellers for him.The "Suercharged" script for the Buicks he bought 50 - 75 at a time. MOBIL-1 under hood-labels He bought 100 at a time. I believe I enjoyed most that all of the badging ended up on FoMoCo stuff.

The fellow who did the Mustang/FoMoCo stuff also bought most of the Aussie Ford performance parts and imported them. Some very nice and unusual stuff. That stuff sold for big dollars.

He collected though Camaro 1LE cars and had some really low mile cars. A really good guy. He did also the decal packages of the NC Trooper cars for restoration pieces. I imagine the original "certified" NC Trooper cars bring reasonable money.

There was a GM Performance - brushed emblem that he bought a couple dozen at a time and I never understood the, why would some guys mail order these when they could walk in off the street and buy the same stuff;

The GM# 25769543 was first under the hood on the tie-bar of the hot rod Cobalts as I remember. They were added to door sills and air cleaner-covers for many other later GM's. Numbers changed and the appearance/materials changed also.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-06-2015 at 09:32 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015   #19
WARP TEN

In the early days of the ZR-1 registry (Larry Merow, et al) members often put ZR-1 badges on the front also. And on HIL KING I painted the lettering on my side, rear and front badges red because I thought the standard black ones didn't stand out enough and to match the ZR-1 Splash decal I had on the hood. Each to their own devices I say. --Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93QBlueZR1 (5).jpg (97.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg HilKing2.JPG (154.6 KB, 11 views)
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015   #20
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post

There was a GM Performance - brushed emblem that he bought a couple dozen at a time and I never understood the, why would some guys mail order these when they could walk in off the street and buy the same stuff;

The GM# 25769543 was first under the hood on the tie-bar of the hot rod Cobalts as I remember. They were added to door sills and air cleaner-covers for many other later GM's. Numbers changed and the appearance/materials changed also.

My Malibu SS has that GM performance emblem under the hood (Yes it is OEM, I did not add it)
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote