ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-09-2011   #11
todesengel

Default Re: Interesting II...(Sorry Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
I was just talking about the bird line up, sorry I should have said that....they took away my 302 at the end of 88......I was married back then & trying to be responsible so the bird line up was the only car I paid any attention to because it wasn't front wheel drive.

Back in the 80's & 90's very few people were making T-bird-esque cars that were rwd....I really didn't like fwd cars. I know I'm behind the curve on that!

Pantera,
I admit that I never looked at the hot rodding possibilities of the modular. From the aspect of a new direction, new materials, new technology slant I would have to say Ford was at least not performing a retroactive abortion on DOHC multi-valve motor concept for a V8 for use in regular cars..... and by now with the new 302 motor you would have to say that concept wasn't allowed to be still born either. I'll also admit that yes I have sour grapes at GM for their decision that the V8 DOHC/4V platform should be abandoned. From a cost per unit standpoint I just don't get how Ford can make it work and GM knew it was cost prohibitive? I'm sure in the end the "customer doesn't care to know about the technology, so lets use push rods" thinking won the day? JMHO

Tom
re-reading your post I see that you mentioned it there, and i should have made the connection. Sorry.
todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #12
flyin ryan

Post I only wish....

Now here's a depressing part guys....I deal with Bullet to do all my custom grind cams. So I called them a few weeks ago to see if they did 4.6L Mod stuff, they said no prob. I just got them a couple days ago, under $1100.00 bucks! Sure isn't like this for our Zee's.....

Old 01-22-2011   #13
Locobob

So.... did you talk to Bullet about maybe doing some LT-5 cams???

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #14
flyin ryan

Well of coarse I did buddy. A while ago already. They don't do, nor have ever done LT-5 cams. They know about them, but have no call or have ever had enough demand for them. Problem isn't actually grinding the cams, it's that they don't have or have access to the cores. That's the big deal. Not only with LT-5's, but other things as well. They just did a 60mm roller cam for a Mopar R-3 for me, that was almost 1K! Just one cam! Just because of the core.
Old 01-23-2011   #15
Locobob

We had a little discussion about cam blanks at VanDorns BBQ at BG this last year. I heard that a contract option exists to run another batch of cam blanks, 300 units I think. If I recall correctly LPE holds the option. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details now and who exactly told me this... might have been Corey Henderson.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #16
flyin ryan

Hey guys....Ssooo....I'm almost done this 4.6L Mod Motor project. I'm still not at all impressed....compared to our LT-5's. Pretty weak if you ask me. Too many chains, too many tensioners, too many followers, the non-moving hydraulic lifters are a joke. Not impressed at all.....

Old 06-06-2011   #17
flyin ryan

Old 06-06-2011   #18
flyin ryan

Old 06-06-2011   #19
flyin ryan

Old 06-06-2011   #20
mike100

The new Coyote engine architecture will probably relegate the Modular engines to unpopular junkyard fodder. It's all about economy of scale and using the same powerplant across many models (trucks, mustangs, formerly the crown vics) just like GM has has done with the LS engine.

variable valve timing with future displacement increases will make the coyote engine the swap to do for older Fords. I never liked the modular 2v engines...they would blow a head gasket at 100 and some odd thousand miles and usually you just junked the car.

LT5: too bad GM never had any shared use or they could have made these by the 10's of thousands yearly.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote