ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-27-2010   #11
XfireZ51

Default Re: Constricted Header Collector?

FR,

"I find all this talk rather interesting. On my Stingray, I have SPD build a choke into my collectors on purpose. This one is identical, Divergent & Convergent angles, to the ones on my Stingray, I just have an extra set for dynoing only as the ones on my Stingray are welded to the exhaust."

It's clear that the choke illustrated by your header collector is gradual and represents a single point. My constriction, OTOH, is more abrupt and significantly longer length. It just doesn't make sense to me that this isn't affecting performance coming from the left side of the motor. I'm willing to listen since addressing this is gonna cost a few bucks to eliminate.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #12
todesengel

You are 100% correct, I had it backwards (my apologies). I just re-read what I wrote, and it should have read cool as they expand, not sure where my head was, but the point is still valid that a restriction is going to adversely affect the flow.

I am not quite sure about this being isolated to rice burners, as I have seen many buick, and 89 t/a people utilizing the same technology

Again, sorry for my brain lapse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Well...Gasses do NOT expand as they cool; just the opposite (or a lot of thermal dynamics texts books got it all wrong!). Put the cap (seal) on an empty plastic milk jug at room temp and put it in the fridge, if ya wanna see for yourself.

But, I agree, from a fluid dynamics perspective, that a consistent size (i.e.) uniform throughout is important - as opposed to varying diameters abruptly (especially abruptly!) along the way. Otherwise, there are acoustical energy consequences (turbulance being one byproduct); hence the funnel designs you see on some intake porting jobs, AND, (to your point) the same is true on some exhausts, tho not so much on anything but rice burners and...and tubas, of course. (Electronics engineers refer to the taper concept as "impedance matching" - a physical reality in waveguide design...But, I digress.)

P.
todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #13
flyin ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post

It's clear that the choke illustrated by your header collector is gradual and represents a single point. My constriction, OTOH, is more abrupt and significantly longer length. It just doesn't make sense to me that this isn't affecting performance coming from the left side of the motor. I'm willing to listen since addressing this is gonna cost a few bucks to eliminate.
I understand your system. Just don't know if there is as much in it as one may think or want to believe. The majority of the exhaust gasses are concentrated toward the center of the pipe & gradually diminishes' as they approach the wall, so how much of that exhaust gas volume is being affected...maybe 5%? Of coarse all this depends on pipe diameter being discussed for a given combo too. I've mentioned on here in the past my thoughts about exhaust sizing on our cars (Way, Way too big on average) but don't say too much as to not have the entire community hate me, LOL. The collector I showed might surprise some guys the size it is versus the HP it supports. I'm actually contemplating a little smaller set. So bottom line, don't think I'm trying to discourage, just trying to shed some light on the situation. To physically & visually look at your exhaust, the obvious answer is to automatically assume it is a problem, I mean how can it not be?...but may not be so much in reality.
Old 04-27-2010   #14
tpepmeie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin ryan View Post
The collector I showed might surprise some guys the size it is versus the HP it supports. I'm actually contemplating a little smaller set.
Right on, FR. In fact, a 2.5" diameter choke would not be unexpected for my 700 hp engine. Recommended, in fact. There is a relationship between primary pipe size, and length to the choke size, too.

todd
tpepmeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #15
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpepmeie View Post
Right on, FR. In fact, a 2.5" diameter choke would not be unexpected for my 700 hp engine. Recommended, in fact. There is a relationship between primary pipe size, and length to the choke size, too.

todd
Todd/FR,

Thx for the input. Could expand on the relationships you are discussing?
If I am understanding FR, you are saying the bang for the buck isn't there in removing the constriction.
Old 04-27-2010   #16
jonszr1

i not to long ago posted the difference between the 21/2 in corsa and thew unique 3 in system my kids came up with . the car with the corsa the car with the corsa went 12.71 114.77 with the change over done between rounds on the same day at fointana the car went 12.23 .@116.40 the 3 in they came up with had a unique dual crossover witch was a 3 in wide by 3 in deep reqtangular pipes that look like 2rulers done at the area where the pipies bend to go down the tunnel . they then put in 2 21/2 in super turbo mufflers. they then changed to 3 in super turbo mufflers and found that the et got better but not the mile an hr . hopefully i can get to bill boudreaus house to take some pics to show what they did . all i can say is this exhaust makes more poiwe than the corsa and is even quieter than the corsa also . i do believe that it is the best of both worlds unless one wants a very loud exhaust . i will say i dont like the collector that stainless works puts on their headers
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #17
XfireZ51

Took a trip to Brakes Plus yesterday to "address" the constriction issue, thanks to Al. Seems like when there's some work to be done on a ZR-1 in Chicago, some of the luminaries show up. Low and behold, Pete comes over to mount some Nitto's on Kevin's car for BG. Paul Workman showed up also. Helpful that they were there to lend a hand. Completely impromptu on an FBI Friday afternoon. Besides the narrowed header pipe, we also tacked the muffs. They'd rotate when the motor torqued over giving them a cockeyed look.
The piece we eliminated comes from Magnaflow. The system is meant for a stock exhaust LT-1/LT-4 motor so it makes sense but not for the LT-5 with headers. Here's what it looked like:

The OD of the pipe was 3", while the ID was 2.75". However, there it slipped over onto a 2.25" inner pipe that was attached to the female ball flange. We replaced all of that with a 3" female ball flange which slip fit into the swedged portion of the original 3" portion of exhaust pipe. Al then welded it.
Old 05-10-2010   #18
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Apples n oranges...

Quote:

todd
The discussion is missing the point, methinks... We're not talking about a 2.5" path vs. a 3" path and choke points or tapers reached over a significant transition... No! Dom's issue is a transition length near zero, which is quite different from a "megaphone" type transition (like Ryan pictured).

I don't know how laminar flow is affected by pulsing, but that aside for a minute, maintaining laminar flow thru a transition from one diameter tube to another depends on the RATE of transition between pipe diameters.

Gas has mass, and therefore a given volume of flow from say a large to a smaller tube requires the gas to accelerate. And, we all know the (equal but opposite) force the mass has against the force attempting to propel it increases with the rate of acceleration, right?

So, as this applies to the volume of a gas pulse traveling down a pipe, if the pipe diameter is decreased, then the gas will have to accelerate. But, it is that rate of acceleration that determines how much force will be required to accelerate the mass. If the transition is relatively gentle (like the choke transition Ryan showed us), so will be the acceleration rate and the resistance will less. But, on the other hand, if the transition is instantaneous, the transition time factor goes to zero. Power = work/time and so it would take an infinite amount of power to make that happen...and therefore it won't. So, what happens is the resistance to the sudden change is in the form of the pulse energy being reflected back; colliding with other gas pulses and the result is laminar flow is replaced by turbulence. Like rocks in a stream of fast moving water, you get disruption of the flow - rapids!

So, I believe the same is true for gasses in (Dom's) exhaust meeting an abrupt obstacle. As Todd pointed out,
Quote:
There is a relationship between primary pipe size, and length to the choke size"
We're not talking about laminar flow through a tapered transition, but "square lips" (as Ryan once referred to such transitions). And, what would reflected energy mean to flow should the reflection arrive at the exhaust valve at the moment it opens??

This is the place where I start getting a headache - starting to revive the math to determine null and nodes and at what frequencies... So, for my 2 cents, my intuition has me totally thinking Dom was right in removing that ridiculously abrupt constriction, especially as close to the exhaust valves as it is. But, w/o doing the numbers, I wouldn't want to say for sure just what practical effect that (abrupt) choke point would cause. Yep...Could be a lot about nuttin, I suppose. (But I eliminated that same POS choke point in my system for the same reason Dom saw fit to do so...Great minds n all that chit!...For what it's worth.

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 05-10-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #19
FU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonszr1 View Post
i not to long ago posted the difference between the 21/2 in corsa and thew unique 3 in system my kids came up with . the car with the corsa the car with the corsa went 12.71 114.77 with the change over done between rounds on the same day at fointana the car went 12.23 .@116.40 the 3 in they came up with had a unique dual crossover witch was a 3 in wide by 3 in deep reqtangular pipes that look like 2rulers done at the area where the pipies bend to go down the tunnel . they then put in 2 21/2 in super turbo mufflers. they then changed to 3 in super turbo mufflers and found that the et got better but not the mile an hr . hopefully i can get to bill boudreaus house to take some pics to show what they did . all i can say is this exhaust makes more poiwe than the corsa and is even quieter than the corsa also . i do believe that it is the best of both worlds unless one wants a very loud exhaust . i will say i dont like the collector that stainless works puts on their headers
Like to see a pic if possible Jon.
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #20
jonszr1

frank i will try to get one posted hopefully by fri . i have to have a friend do it as i only have very basic computor knowledge . heck i dont even own a cell ph. boy i do like this exhaust quiet as stk with headers till ya get on it. there is a vid on u tube of the car at the strip not oine of the better runs but gives one a good sound clip . its under jetta vs corvetteat acd. you have to print it that way as the guy that made the vid didnt space betweencorvette at
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
narrowed head pipe, restricted exhaust