ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-02-2014   #11

Default Re: Rear End Gear Ratio Change

That Dana Spicer [viper] gear set I believe uses a crush sleeve, not pinion shims. While you have it all torn down I would also do a cover plate drain hole. I have the 3:73 gears, wish they were the 4:10's.
902066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014   #12
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Thanks ya'll. Yes I will install them myself, that's half the fun!

My list so far:
-Mopar Viper 4.10 gear set PN P5007043
-Haibeck 4.10 Speedo gears
-Amsoil SEVERE GEAR 75W-90 Synthetic EP Lubricant (2 qts)
-Amsoil Slip lock additive
-Pinion & Axle yoke seals
-RTV silicone
-Pinion shims

What am I missing?

I was not planning to replace bearings, u-joints, etc. as everything works properly now and the car only has 13,000 miles, but I will inspect everything while it's apart of course.

Corey's site is down right now, but I hear he makes some nice headers, so I'll definitely be considering him for those.
You may want to check but I have heard Corey doesn't make the headers on order but as part of an overall engine package.

Doing the rear will present you w a number of "while ur there" moments. Like the u-joints and rear end bushings which no doubt are pretty dried out by now. And yes install a drain bleeder for the rear end fluid.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX

Last edited by XfireZ51; 02-02-2014 at 08:46 AM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014   #13
WVZR-1

Quote:
Thanks ya'll. Yes I will install them myself, that's half the fun!

I was not planning to replace bearings, u-joints, etc. as everything works properly now and the car only has 13,000 miles, but I will inspect everything while it's apart of course.
The install will require 4 bearings "minimum" if you plan on using your differential. An install kit generally includes pinion shims (front/rear), the taller crush-sleeve, 3 seals and 6 bearings. The package would be the "wise buy". You mentioned DIY and generally that's not accomplished easily or effectively by a "first timer".

With a 13K build if you'd like to spend some more money I've an NOS housing you could use for the build with a new carrier and just slip out and use your short-axles and keep the 13K build intact. It's worth substantially more assembled with those miles than the gears by themselves. I'm not rushed to sell but if I had a 13K rear it's certainly what I'd do. If it interests you email me.

The drain is a something to consider but study the options at length.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014   #14
USAZR1

John Smarsh has a fresh 4.10 pumpkin for sale,for $950 plus shipping. Chris Rinehart's dad did the set-up so you know it was done right.
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014   #15
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
John Smarsh has a fresh 4.10 pumpkin for sale,for $950 plus shipping. Chris Rinehart's dad did the set-up so you know it was done right.
That would certainly be something to consider - branding of the gear set and if it were a new install or previous installed gears used might need to be considered but if it were complete with short-axles it's a reasonably priced option.
Old 02-02-2014   #16
USAZR1

All new parts were used,Dave. The gearset is Viper. It's just a third member/pumpkin,not axle to axle,although John does have a Dana 44 rear complete except brakes. Ratio on it is 3.45. He wants $1250 plus shipping for that rear.
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014   #17
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
All new parts were used,Dave. The gearset is Viper. It's just a third member/pumpkin,not axle to axle,although John does have a Dana 44 rear complete except brakes. Ratio on it is 3.45. He wants $1250 plus shipping for that rear.
Clint,

When I mention "short-axles" I'm speaking of the left and right shafts that are retained in the differential with "snap-rings" and they're generally considered as "part of" 3d member but it would be possible for someone to offer up a build less those axles and the buyer would use his to complete it. I'd say the buy is reasonable and a person would need to question only the "clutch pack" maybe. If that were fresh I'd say it's a real good buy.
Old 02-02-2014   #18
Josh

Sounds like its a good idea/necessary to replace the bearings as well.

I've rebuilt GM 12 bolts with the crush sleeve so I am familiar with those, but I thought the D44HD just used shims for the pinion bearing preload. What's different about the 4.10 gears that changes it to a crush sleeve?

I was also thinking about replacing the original ring/bearing cap bolts with ARP bolts/studs.
1990 ZR-1 #2875 [COLOR="Red"]Red[/COLOR]/Black 4.10s
1993 LT1 6-Speed [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Polo Green[/COLOR]/Beige
[B]"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."[/B]
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014   #19
WVZR-1

Quote:
Sounds like its a good idea/necessary to replace the bearings as well.

I've rebuilt GM 12 bolts with the crush sleeve so I am familiar with those, but I thought the D44HD just used shims for the pinion bearing preload. What's different about the 4.10 gears that changes it to a crush sleeve?

I was also thinking about replacing the original ring/bearing cap bolts with ARP bolts/studs.
Nearly all of the "service" gear kits use a crush sleeve regardless of the "branding" Dana/Spicer included - OE for most D44-HD Corvettes were "shims" but in late production even the production Corvette got a crush sleeve. I believe the ARP stuff might be overkill but I'd guess it's something to consider.
Old 02-02-2014   #20
Jagdpanzer

All of the Viper Dana gear sets I've seen come with new ring gear bolts.
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote