ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-12-2009   #11
UKZR1

Default Re: X-pipe advice wanted from those with B&B Exhaust with Headers

My 368 runs with Jeal headers no cats and b&b (early version) with x-pipe

It's 106db a few yards behind the car. It's loud in the car too - might even take some ear plugs for the drive to le mans this year just to give our ears a rest on the way down.

It's a long time since I swapped to the x pipe but I recall saying to people that it made it louder out back but better in the cabin. I wouldn't loose the noise for anything though.

How many Z's in Hawaii? We hope to be comming out next year for our 10th. Wedding anniversary (we got wed. by Diamond head in 2000)
Red/red 90 #1281 (UK)
Marc Haibeck 368
B&B, Brembos
DRM suspension
Known as 'Gixer' on corvettechat.co.uk
www.corvetteclips.co.uk

Last edited by UKZR1; 05-12-2009 at 08:35 AM.
UKZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #12
tf95ZR1

I also vote for the B&B X pipe. There was a definite (on dyno) HP increase over my old resonator, and I think it sounds much better! Resonance is at 1800 to 2100 RPM which I feel is no big deal. And your LT5 will get you through this quickly!
I specifically went with the B&B because the "X" is very smooth and clean. I saw others which were sharper and less smooth.
Not cheap but I'm glad I did it!
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #13
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: A "hybrid B&B like" system in the wings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
The SW X pipe was $275 + S&H, FWIW. One could have one made from aluminized steel piping by a competent exhaust shop for less - mebby 1/2 that. I considered that route, but the shops around me didn't have mandrel bending, so that would put me back into the 2-1/2" chokes at the bends (again). That fact, along with the physics unknown introduced by a "random" length to the choke points, and the fact they would not be stainless, the convenience and "what I wanted in the first place" won me over. (The cost will only hurt once. After that it is maintenance free grinning for ever!)

P.
Paul,

Thanks again for the advice and information; sounds like the way to go, especially if a direct bolt up to B&B.
Old 05-22-2009   #14
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKZR1 View Post
My 368 runs with Jeal headers no cats and b&b (early version) with x-pipe

It's 106db a few yards behind the car. It's loud in the car too - might even take some ear plugs for the drive to le mans this year just to give our ears a rest on the way down.

It's a long time since I swapped to the x pipe but I recall saying to people that it made it louder out back but better in the cabin. I wouldn't loose the noise for anything though.

How many Z's in Hawaii? We hope to be comming out next year for our 10th. Wedding anniversary (we got wed. by Diamond head in 2000)
Thanks for the reply and well considered. Wow, sounds like it's quite loud if ear plugs are considered.

I know there are a few Z here in Hawaii, but none reply. I know there is one on the island of Maui, but no friendship developed. A guy I met has two the next street over, but has not showed them to me (1990 and 1995) both are just in mothball storage with under 2K miles if I remember correctly. I had a white 91 that I sold and not sure where it is since I don't see it on the road and the guy was trying to sell it. Cool about your wedding, I had mine at Kahala Hotel and Resort so not far from where yours was. Look me up if you come this way; I guess you might not want to talk or see Zs during your wedding anniversary.
Old 05-22-2009   #15
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf95ZR1 View Post
I also vote for the B&B X pipe. There was a definite (on dyno) HP increase over my old resonator, and I think it sounds much better! Resonance is at 1800 to 2100 RPM which I feel is no big deal. And your LT5 will get you through this quickly!
I specifically went with the B&B because the "X" is very smooth and clean. I saw others which were sharper and less smooth.
Not cheap but I'm glad I did it!
Thanks for the reply and input. You are probably right about going with B&B to ensure the best fit and ease of install. I just might have to pop for theirs, regardless of the $50 shipping charge to the islands.
Old 05-22-2009   #16
UKZR1

check out http://corvetteclips.co.uk/site%20pi...rstmictest.mov

That will show what it sounds like.

It's a shame you know of other cars out there but the owners don't get involved and you don't see them out and about.
Red/red 90 #1281 (UK)
Marc Haibeck 368
B&B, Brembos
DRM suspension
www.corvetteclips.co.uk

Last edited by UKZR1; 05-22-2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2009   #17
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
check out http://corvetteclips.co.uk/site%20pi...rstmictest.mov

That will show what it sounds like.

It's a shame you know of other cars out there but the owners don't get involved and you don't see them out and about.
Thanks for sharing.....it sounds awesome. Yeah, with a limited production Corvette like the ZR-1 and on an island you would expect that the few would be able to get together. As you know, we are on our own to work on these too.

Aloha!
Old 05-22-2009   #18
UKZR1

It's much like that over here too. Jeal and another guy in the Corvette trade over here estimate 30 or so ZR-1's in the UK. I know of 11 cars and out of that only about half of us keep in touch and share knowledge etc. Strangely they are the ones you see on the forums. I run an ad in the UK Corvette Club magazine advertising the registry but have only ever been contacted through it once. I've been contacted through my site a few times by guys on mainland Europe and that's about it. Guess some people like to keep to themselves. Shame as the enthusiasm of fellow owners is a large part of owning a ZR-1.
We will look you up when we are out there. My wife is into cars and bikes too so won't mind in the least
Red/red 90 #1281 (UK)
Marc Haibeck 368
B&B, Brembos
DRM suspension
www.corvetteclips.co.uk
Old 05-22-2009   #19
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
It's much like that over here too. Jeal and another guy in the Corvette trade over here estimate 30 or so ZR-1's in the UK. I know of 11 cars and out of that only about half of us keep in touch and share knowledge etc. Strangely they are the ones you see on the forums. I run an ad in the UK Corvette Club magazine advertising the registry but have only ever been contacted through it once. I've been contacted through my site a few times by guys on mainland Europe and that's about it. Guess some people like to keep to themselves. Shame as the enthusiasm of fellow owners is a large part of owning a ZR-1.
We will look you up when we are out there. My wife is into cars and bikes too so won't mind in the least
Okay, now I don't feel so bad if I can't make contact with the 4 or so that are here in Hawaii. I think networking is a powerful thing, especially with the limited resources of the ZR-1. Please shoot me PM or email when you get close to arrival and I'll make plans to meet like I did with the guy from Japan. If they wife does not mind we have a lot of Corvette events here on a regular basis. I sure would love to visit your part of the world one day too.
Old 05-23-2009   #20
Pete

I have Jeal headers,x-pipe,B&B old design.

It sounds like it means all business.

I try to keep the RPM's either bellow or above the resonance.

Pete

Watch my video below.
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote