ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-15-2012   #151
tomtom72

Default Re: OBX cat-back exhaust

Steve, I too will be using the supplied OBX clamps. The bolt & nut and the band are of a very low grade of s/s, if they are s/s at all. Try a magnet and you will see that it will stick, lightly, to the components. I tried the test on the Acuseal clamps that came with my Stainless Works headers and it just will not stick at all.

At the worst i may go to the marine supply stor and look to replace the nuts & bolts with real s/s ones....maybe.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012   #152
SteelBlueZR1

Just ordered the OBX cat back exhaust for only $320 - directly from Racing Depot's site and saved $29 off their ebay store! Go to - http://www.racingpartdepot.com/servl...Exhaust/Detail

Also, per Yun's instruction, ordered the following clamps... Thanks Yun for letting me drive your amazing Z to hear how deep toned and livable this exhaust is on an LT5:

You need 6 of 2.5" Torca Accuseal (stainless steel) - http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...Exhaust-Clamps

1 x 2.5" Torc Tite Clamp -http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...-Exhaust-Clamp
Haibeck chip, slotted rotors, camber brace, C-beam plates, OBX exhaust, Nitto NT555 tires
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SteelBlueZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012   #153
efnfast

Bert, I was unable to get a hold of Racing Parts Depot directly. I tried. I did use some of the clamps they provided, but welded some of the joints. Left just enough connections to be able to remove it. So far, real pleased with it. I think you will be too. - Steve
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012   #154
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Steve, I too will be using the supplied OBX clamps. The bolt & nut and the band are of a very low grade of s/s, if they are s/s at all. Try a magnet and you will see that it will stick, lightly, to the components. I tried the test on the Acuseal clamps that came with my Stainless Works headers and it just will not stick at all.

At the worst i may go to the marine supply stor and look to replace the nuts & bolts with real s/s ones....maybe.

Tom
Tom,

Do yourself a favor and get Torcas. OBX supplied clamp while torquing the bolt sheared off on me. Replacing bolts and nuts may be a solution too.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #155
SteelBlueZR1

Smile Re: OBX cat-back exhaust

OBX exhaust for my Z just arrived, and it is a thing of beauty... Nicely made, good welds, and delivered in 1 week from California to MD. I am hoping to install this Saturday for my Birthday. Yun / Jim are you by any chance available? I will record stock exhaust and OBX exhaust video clips and post, along with some in car audio while driving.
Old 07-04-2012   #156
QB93Z

I will be in Philadelphia for a wedding Friday and return on Saturday. How about Sunday to install the exhaust?

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #157
SteelBlueZR1

Thanks Jim... Sunday is actually my birthday, so that works great. What time in the morning is best for you? I will bring a truck later in the week to pick up my oem exhaust for storage.
I hope Yun and other Wazoo members can make it too... I'll bring the cake. I have the Torcas clamps too, but got a 2.5 instead of a 2.75" for the header pipe connection, and Yun said he has a 2.75 he can trade me.
Haibeck chip, slotted rotors, camber brace, C-beam plates, OBX exhaust, Nitto NT555 tires
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-04-2012   #158
secondchance

I will make Sunday - most likely.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #159
SteelBlueZR1

Hey Yun... can you please bring the 2.75" Torc Tite Clamp to connect the head pipe, and i'lll give you my 2.5" that was ordered in the wrong size? I appreciate all your help and encouragement with this purchase/install. Happy 4th of July in Wazoo land!
Old 07-05-2012   #160
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Tom,

Do yourself a favor and get Torcas. OBX supplied clamp while torquing the bolt sheared off on me. Replacing bolts and nuts may be a solution too.
Thanks Yun! I may yet do the Torca clamps. No, it's sitting with the headers still in my living/dining room.

Actually, now I'm not so sure I will ever get around to putting it on as I don't know that I like the sound. I hate to say this but I have yet to hear any late model corvette aftermarket exhaust that I actually like! Let alone one for an LT5. I like the Ti exhaust sound from the C5 ZO6's and the new C6 dual mode, but the rest of them don't do it for me. I guess I have a differing "vision" of what a C4 ZR-1 should sound like. I actually like the sound of my OE mufflers, when you can hear them up past 5k rpms...it's the damn resonator that stinks! Then sometimes I think I'll just go 'borrow' an exhaust from a DB9 or an F40.....it's the 4V/ DOHC thing that colors my 'vision' of what an LT5 should sound like. I don't want it to sound like my 72 LT-1's factory side pipes. A 4V/DOHC motor shouldn't sound like a 'muscle car' from the 60's IMHO. I think I'll do a search as I had an Ansa system on my 72 V6 Capri and I liked that sound.....I'm out in left field, I know!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote