ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-04-2017   #151
Roadster

Default Re: TB removal and then some!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hafsmo View Post
Looks great!
But now you'll have to the injector housings and heads to match.
Thanks....
That's what you think!!! lol...

That is for another time, for this season will probably be the two-tone look!!!
I will repaint the air horn that I did a few months ago to match and the TB, once I go over it and get it done will also be painted to match. But the IH's and heads is going to be a much bigger job....

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017   #152
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcollins@maxnet.co.nz View Post
Hi Tom it's looking good what's sort of paint are you using
Glen

Sent from my SM-G930F using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Thanks Glen, got lucky with the new finish, I am happy with the results...

This is the paint that Cliff has used and recommended....I do like the color...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 06-04-2017   #153
Roadster

Another view in a different room and lighting. There are also shadows to contend with, might not be a 100% perfect, but very acceptable to say the least...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 06-04-2017   #154
gtcollins@maxnet.co.nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Another view in a different room and lighting. There are also shadows to contend with, might not be a 100% perfect, but very acceptable to say the least...
Tom if you give it some time to dry you could brush the letters in you could use nail polish if I were doing it I would paint a piece of metal the same way you have done the plenum then you can try painting letters I have two engines and when I did my one I practise on the other cam cover also I was using base coat clear coat I don't know if you know about that type of painting system with base coat you have to finish it with clear coat and that seal it the base coat dry very quickly but is not durable so when I tried to paint the letters with a different color it dissolved the original color your paint shouldn't do that once dry I would give it a light sand in the letters
Regards Glen

gtcollins@maxnet.co.nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017   #155
Roadster

Quote:
Tom if you give it some time to dry you could brush the letters in you could use nail polish if I were doing it I would paint a piece of metal the same way you have done the plenum then you can try painting letters I have two engines and when I did my one I practise on the other cam cover also I was using base coat clear coat I don't know if you know about that type of painting system with base coat you have to finish it with clear coat and that seal it the base coat dry very quickly but is not durable so when I tried to paint the letters with a different color it dissolved the original color your paint shouldn't do that once dry I would give it a light sand in the letters
Regards Glen

Glen, I will let it dry for a few days before I would attempt to do the letters. That's if I do attempt to do it.....lol
I am not going to use clear, as other owners have advised against it because the heat will eventually discolor the paint. So what's on there now, is it. I will re inspect later this AM to make sure the paint seems "even" over the entire plenum, to determine if I would need just one more coat. Otherwise after it dries completely I may just try one number or letter with the artist brush set and see what happens. I still do like it all silver, and may just leave it that way....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 06-05-2017   #156
gtcollins@maxnet.co.nz

Quote:
Glen, I will let it dry for a few days before I would attempt to do the letters. That's if I do attempt to do it.....lol
I am not going to use clear, as other owners have advised against it because the heat will eventually discolor the paint. So what's on there now, is it. I will re inspect later this AM to make sure the paint seems "even" over the entire plenum, to determine if I would need just one more coat. Otherwise after it dries completely I may just try one number or letter with the artist brush set and see what happens. I still do like it all silver, and may just leave it that way....
Hi Tom
You can assemble and get the car going then if you wish you can do them later

gtcollins@maxnet.co.nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017   #157
carter200

Quote:
Tom,
Looks great! I would clear it but that is me.....

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017   #158
S.hafsmo

Quote:
Thanks....
That's what you think!!! lol...

That is for another time, for this season will probably be the two-tone look!!!
I will repaint the air horn that I did a few months ago to match and the TB, once I go over it and get it done will also be painted to match. But the IH's and heads is going to be a much bigger job....
I was at least hoping you would.
My LT5 need a fresh coat of paint quite badly. It has lots of darkened "stains" that cannot be cleaned. You take good pictures and provide useful info, so if you did it first, it would make my job a lot easier.

Are there no clears that won't yellow over time?
Old 06-05-2017   #159
Roadster

Quote:
Hi Tom
You can assemble and get the car going then if you wish you can do them later

Glen, that is probably what I will do....just have too much going on right now, I have been neglecting the 74 and need to devote 3 days this week to get caught up..still have to put the heater box back together and get installed, along with the long list I still have to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter200 View Post
Tom,
Looks great! I would clear it but that is me.....
Thanks Carter, will have to do some research on high temp clear, and see if there is such a product. But it does look good now the way it is.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hafsmo View Post
I was at least hoping you would.
My LT5 need a fresh coat of paint quite badly. It has lots of darkened "stains" that cannot be cleaned. You take good pictures and provide useful info, so if you did it first, it would make my job a lot easier.

Are there no clears that won't yellow over time?

I hear you there!!! Mine had some dark stains on it also, but the first time I did the paint I did not sand anything down. I just used mineral spirits and really wiped it clean over and over again. As you can see from the first paint job, it did come out good. But as mentioned above I did sand down the entire plenum this time around. And again, not saying my methods are the end all be all, but they work for me.
Appreciate that you are liking the pics and find the info useful. Thanks...
And anything I can do making your job easier is a plus.....lol
All I can say is that when you do this, just take your time, as it is time consuming to say the least. But the results are well worth it....

Will be looking into the clears....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 06-05-2017   #160
Roadster

Did some research into clears today and came up with the following link...

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html

And made in the

You my have heard of this company and their products. I read all of the info and reviews of this product and others that have very good to excellent reviews. Also can be spray on aluminum, which is a big plus for us with no adverse results. This one seems to be easier to use and doesn't require to release or mix an activator to spray. Just spray on and your done. It also is available in a satin finish, but I went for the high gloss finish which both are available in spray cans.
As usual the above is JMO and may give you another option if you are thinking about using clear.

This product is also available on Amazon and you get free shipping if you have Prime. It is also available directly from kbs-coatings and other suppliers as well.
Might be something to think about, especially if your undecided.

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 06-05-2017 at 08:24 PM.