ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-30-2017   #131
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: ZR-1 Corvette Road Trip to the Southwest and San Diego

Right along the Embarkedero, where the Star is tied up, and where you were staying, is where Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis rode the motorcycle in the movie Top Gun. And, if you were to follow Harbor Drive around to the south, in less than a mile(?) you come to the Kansas City Barbecue where the bar scenes were shot. (600 W Harbor Dr., San Diego)

When @ the zoo, and you walk down the stone steps among the ferns and mist (created water misting nozzles) toward the Tiger exhibit, see if you or Lyndi can keep from being startled as you round the corner to the right...

I was stationed in SD and lived there for a total of 12 years. Some very fond memories of the place - still feel at home every time I visit. Pics give me a twinge of homesickness!

For TOP GUN buffs..

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017   #132
QB93Z

Day 21, Memorial Day - Thank you to all our Veterans!

We left the mountains and drove south on I-5 to San Diego.

To me, the drivers in California are much more aggressive than I am used to. In addition, we saw three different motorcycle drivers riding the lane markers and passing between cars at > 70 MPH:

The traffic south was not to bad, we made good time. The GPS kept trying to get us off the highway but I just ignored it and was fine. We did notice that the North-bound I-5 between San Diego and LA was a mess:

At one area, drivers had stopped on the shoulder and were having a picnic.

The San Diego skyline:

I like San Diego. Just like Westminster, MD where we live, SD has a train running through downtown:

We did a quick water front recon and found the USS Midway. The USS Midway was commissioned at the end of World War 2 and was the largest ship in the world until 1955. The USS Midway served our nation until 1992, a very successful 47 year career. USS Midway is now a museum ship here in San Diego.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017   #133
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
To me, the drivers in California are much more aggressive than I am used to. In addition, we saw three different motorcycle drivers riding the lane markers and passing between cars at > 70 MPH:
Jim

And.. its legal to do so in CA. I hate it when I drive in LA typically every month as the motorcycles can legally share your lane (Dumb as a bag of hammers to me). Also note the HOV lanes Jim, have entry and exit points where you can only enter and exit the lanes. If you cross into it at any other point you can get a ticket.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017   #134
Blackbelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
Hi Tom, We arrived in San Diego last night. We are staying downtown at the Best Western Bayside Inn, near The Star of India Museum. Today (Tuesday) we plan to visit the San Diego Zoo, Pt Loma, the Soviet Submarine and the USS Dolphin. Also we will be looking for a car wash.

We leave to head east on Wednesday morning early.

My cell is 443-244-1347. If you contact me, we would like to arrange a meeting.

Jim

If you guys meet up let me know! I'm about an hour north but would love to meet with some fellow ZR-1 owners!

Michael
Blackbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017   #135
Corvettes White

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
And.. its legal to do so in CA. (Dumb as a bag of hammers to me).
Not as Dumb as the speed cameras you used to have out in the middle of the desert. .

Driving in SoCal along the coast is rough.
Corvettes White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017   #136
BigJohn

If you drive legally speed cameras are not a problem!
So are confessing to a criminal act?
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017   #137
Corvettes White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
If you drive legally speed cameras are not a problem!
So are confessing to a criminal act?
Statue of limitations has passed.
Corvettes White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017   #138
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettes White View Post
Statue of limitations has passed.

Were there skidmarks?
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017   #139
QB93Z

Day 22 - In San Diego. We had the whole day to sightsee in San Diego. We started early, Lyndi checked out the view from our balcony:

Our first visit was to the San Diego Zoo:

There were many wonderful animals we got to see. Some of our favorites were:

This Panda was kicking back and chomping on some bamboo:

It is not often that you get this close to a Hippo:

Lyndi was really excited to get to see a Snow Leopard. This male was waiting in an overhead area while the keeper put the food in his habitat:

These Pelicans were having as much fun as we were:

to be continued...
Old 06-01-2017   #140
QB93Z

The Polar Bear put on a show by lifting his head once and looking around:

Who doesn't like a good Rhino picture:

The Meerkats are always alert to danger:

We were very impressed by the San Diego Zoo. The habitats were first class and the collection of animals was extensive. The zoo covers a large area and there are lots of things to do. We enjoyed the cable car ride. The beautiful plants and landscaping were a plus. Due to the size of the zoo, finding our way was sometimes a challenge. But there were lots of guides to help:

to be continued: