ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

View Poll Results: Which oil do you use?
Amsoil 79 22.13%
Castrol 19 5.32%
Champion 0 0%
Chevron 0 0%
Conoco 0 0%
Citgo 0 0%
Havoline 1 0.28%
Interstate 0 0%
Kendall 1 0.28%
Lowe 0 0%
Marathon 0 0%
Mobil 1 224 62.75%
Motorcraft 0 0%
National 0 0%
PennZoil 4 1.12%
Quaker State 3 0.84%
Redline 10 2.80%
Royal Purple 11 3.08%
Valvoline 5 1.40%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2015   #121
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Interesting stuff.

As I read the article, I get the "drift" it is fundamentally applicable to pushrod applications (i.e., references to spring tension and lift heights, etc). What I read does not directly addressed is the pressures on cam and lifter contact surfaces as a function of inertia, i.e., speed of rotation.

My point is, whereas the issues with spring tension and valve lift are directly applicable to metal to metal pressure between friction surfaces, the rate or speed of lifting the valve creates considerable forces required to overcome the inertia dynamic. And, it is that dynamic in conjunction with static force that sets the stage for oil performance.

Although the article touches on the fact that ZDDP of API 'SN' is around 800 (I've seen reference to 700 ppm ZDDP for API SN) in order to meet EPA requirements pertaining to catalytic converter life, it doesn't mention that at the same time roller tappets became the norm (primarily in pushrod applications where those necessarily enormous spring tensions and lifts are encountered).

When considering the combination of static and dynamic forces, there's a big difference between 7000+ rpm and 5500 rpm*. So, omitting or failing to acknowledge the differences in RPM and the affect on the dynamic forces speed introduces, I believe there is significant risk the article could leave the impression that oil requirements for relatively low rpm pushrod applications are also directly applicable to higher rpm DOHC applications...but are they????

*The increase of force to accelerate a mass increases at the square of the rate of change.

And, what IS "Mobil-1" anyway? 10W-30 in 1990 isn't the same formulation as it is today. ZDDP is considerably less now than when our beloved motors were designed and built. It may interest some to know that there are perhaps over 50 different oil compilations, all wearing the "Mobil-1" moniker.

There IS a Mobil-1 that has the ZDDP levels recommended by Lotus in 1990, but you won't likely see it on your speedy-mart shelves! I suppose (rather) the safer recommendation would be to grab the HIGH MILEAGE (e.g., 15W-50) stuff instead of the common "SN" 10W-30 with its ZDDP of 700-800 ppm. (However, you "cats" might not like it, which is important if you live where emissions standards are strict.)

Decisions, decisions.... And so it goes.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015   #122
WB9MCW

Default Re: Which oil do you use

My best friend and my mechanic for all of his toys now uses only SCHAEFFERS in all of his engines - I now have this in my ZR-1 - not cheap @ $10.50 a quart but you get what you pay for. It is the only oil company that actually has real data sheets on their oils and they have the most zinc as well.

This is the one in my ZR-1 now
http://www.schaefferoil.com/supreme-...acing-oil.html

THE data sheet on this 7000 oil
http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/227-705-td.pdf

Just wondering how many of you use schaeffers oil in your bike...the oil test i went to tested all kinds of oil and yes amsoil did better than almost all of the other oils except schaeffers...i wouldnt recommend using anything other than those two brands...all the rest were just awfull! Tell me what you think
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-an...-all-away.html

SCHAEFFER vs MAJOR BRANDS
https://youtu.be/lrmSyyLuVB0

Schaeffer Oil Presentation
https://youtu.be/qj6wtgVV0xo

Google search for all You Tube vids on this oil company.
https://www.google.com/search?q=scha...eviews&tbm=vid
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by WB9MCW; 09-06-2015 at 02:06 PM.
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015   #123
Hib Halverson

My LT5 currently has Red Line 10W30 in it. If the oil drain interval comes due before I sell it, I'll switch to Gibbs Driven HR 10W30.

But...oil in general:

For best performance and protection you need an oil blended with a synthetic base stock, such as Red Line's ester base or Gibbs Driven's mPAO base. The Mobil 1 which is widely available in North America uses neither of those base stocks. It's not always easy to ascertain what base-stock with which an oil is blended so, when in doubt, contact the oil vendor and ask.

As for ZDDP, most engine oils sold for high-performance street or street-track have adequate extreme pressure additive packages. That said, the whole ZDDP "thing" with the LT5 is just a myth. Yeah, the LT5 has flat tappets but the load at the lifter/lobe interface is significant lower in the LT5 because of its OHC valve train. OHV valve trains with flat tappets is where you see problems with performance cams, high spring pressure and low (less than 800 PPM phosphorous) levels of ZDDP.

Drain intervals? If you're using good oil, use the oil life moniter but change the filter at 50% and, of course, 0%/ In any event, with ZR-1s which see low annual mileage, change the oil every year or so regardless of mileage.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015   #124
Billy Mild

I am running Mobil 1 10w-30 High Mileage.

If you want good oil with a lot of ZDDP, run Brad Penn.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015   #125
SAM/CH ZR-1

What do you guys think about the Kendall GT-1 High Performance 20W50 Motor Oil with Liquid Titanium? It's not a synthetic oil but has also alot of zinc.

DR.Z/LT5-Performance

1990 #1822 with 383 cui
SAM/CH ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015   #126
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

For what it's worth...a comparison.

Considering the speed, and length of the cam chains, durability, size of the cam sprokets, etc, I don't think ZDDP is a "moot" consideration for the LT5 simply because of the lesser spring tensions. You decide....

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015   #127
WB9MCW

Too bad Schaeffer 7000 was not in that test - would have been interesting to see how it did against all the rest of 'em
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015   #128
We Gone

I just buy ZDDP at Summit and add it to the oil.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015   #129
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
For what it's worth...a comparison.

Considering the speed, and length of the cam chains, durability, size of the cam sprokets, etc, I don't think ZDDP is a "moot" consideration for the LT5 simply because of the lesser spring tensions. You decide....
Ok. I'll bite, but educate me by answering this question, then I can decide.

How is an extreme pressure additive (ZDDP) intended to lubricate parts under high pressure and which "slide" or "rub" across each other a necessity for the durability of a rollerized cam chain?

Also, someone mentioned above that they buy a ZDDP additive and put it in the oil. If you feel urge to add more ZDDP in that manner, be very careful with that. Measure the amount of that stuff accurately such that your PPM phosphorous doesn't get much over 1400-1600 because, a lot of ZDDP in the oil over a long period actually can cause "chemical wear" of the cam lobes.

Also, high levels of ZDDP in the oil can shorten catylitic converter life, too.

Keep in mind that the folks who market that stuff will gladly sell you as much as you want, but they're not going to buy you new cams or new cats if you use too much of it.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015   #130
XfireZ51

Does anyone have information regarding if re-grinds v stock cams have greater or lesser propensity to this type of damage?
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote