ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

View Poll Results: Have you ever hit the rev limiter?
YES 147 67.12%
NO 72 32.88%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2015   #121
WydGlydJim

Default Re: Poll: Who has ever hit the rev limiter?

I've ran right through 7000 RPM, and the car was still pulling strong with no drop off, then right through 8000 RPM accidentally, and I've bumped the rev limiter a couple of times when I wasn't paying strict attention....best I can tell, it is set at 8200 RPM on my car. After that, I called Lingenfelter, and they thought is would be fine to 7800 RPM normally.

1973 LS4/sold

Last edited by WydGlydJim; 02-03-2015 at 02:14 PM.
WydGlydJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #122
Hog

I thought the chains became the limiting factor over 8000rpm as they will break due to the small diameter of the sprockets, which were designed small to fit the LT5 into the C4.(in the end the cam sprockets could have been a tad larger it was found)

The secondary chain lets go, and then due to the LT5 being an interference engine, valves start smacking pistons and carnage ensues.

Hitting the rev limiter induces no ill effects. The engine simply defuels allowing revs to decrease slightly, then refueling once again. Floating the valves (where the lifter actually loses contact with the camshaft lobe) would be difficult with stock parts that are working correctly.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #123
5ABI VT

SO what im looking at is... theres 55 people so far who don't even know how fast their z is yet ? =D>
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #124
5ABI VT

In my opinion hitting the rev limiter is ok but of course repeatedly doing that does in my opinion stress the chain as the sprockets are slowing and accelerating the chain back and forth. Also not all engines have a rev limiter because the engine will not spin that high and explode. More so due to the fact that they are cammed for lower rpm and efficiency and mileage so the powerband is pretty much over so they just set the limiter where it needs to be. There are a lot of motors that can safely rev a LOT higher than a factory limiter like some of the jap cars (2jz etc) with no ill effects. They just crank the boost and up the rpm on a stock motor and away they go.
Old 02-05-2015   #125
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
Bumped it about 10x last week when I took it out. have to get a feel for where it is on the tach because they aren't exactly accurate. Pretty much figured it out now. I have no fear with this motor at all. if it blows up oh well stroker time
And just for the record I hit it twice because I needed to know where it was after all the mods lol.
Old 11-15-2015   #126
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by WydGlydJim View Post
I've ran right through 7000 RPM, and the car was still pulling strong with no drop off, then right through 8000 RPM accidentally, and I've bumped the rev limiter a couple of times when I wasn't paying strict attention....best I can tell, it is set at 8200 RPM on my car. After that, I called Lingenfelter, and they thought is would be fine to 7800 RPM normally.

The question of tach calibration...comes to mind. (Mine would read "off the map" at the limiter due to calibrations error.)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #127
32valvesftw

I agree with all in that hitting the rev limiter once or twice is not a big deal, but I think bouncing off the limiter as I see of the 4 cylinders do on launch make me cringe. Good think we have our friend Torque so we don't have do that.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016   #128
8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valvesftw View Post
I agree with all in that hitting the rev limiter once or twice is not a big deal, but I think bouncing off the limiter as I see of the 4 cylinders do on launch make me cringe. Good think we have our friend Torque so we don't have do that.
Are you sure you're driving the right car?

I have redlined mine many times and plan on hitting it a few times today - autocross this afternoon! Sure these engines make torque, but they live for revs. I agree a redline launch is totally unnecessary and probably not ideal, but get it on a road course and really work that last thousand rpm. It's awesome.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016   #129
32valvesftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cam View Post
Are you sure you're driving the right car?

I have redlined mine many times and plan on hitting it a few times today - autocross this afternoon! Sure these engines make torque, but they live for revs. I agree a redline launch is totally unnecessary and probably not ideal, but get it on a road course and really work that last thousand rpm. It's awesome.
Yes Im driving the right car thanks very much.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020   #130
Hib Halverson

When I owned Barney, I hit the rev limiter once in a while, mostly in first or second because I didn't properly anticipate the delay in the tach. What I wouldn't have given for an HUD back then.

As I ran my car on the chassis dyno enough to know where the engine made power and what the best shift points were, I almost never would tag the limiter intentionally. The Street Skinner engine in Barney which used stock manifolds and cats made right at 500-hp but it peaked at 6500 or so and was "all done" by 6800 and that's where I usually shifted such that after the shift I ended up down around peak torque.

With my current ZR1, Bad-Assed Bee, I'm always hitting the limiter in first and second if I'm manually shifting. Left in drive, the darn thing always shifts just before the limiter.

Innovation and Technology rears its ugly head.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote