ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-27-2017   #111
Roadster

Default Re: TB removal and then some!!!

Giving me ideas Cliff....thought about the strip down the center. Don't even want to think about removing the cam covers this season, too much going on, especially with the 74.
I know there maybe different techniques for painting the numbers and letters, how did you paint them? I know someone mentioned using an artist brush. I also remember reading how MM painted them, but forgot what their procedure was, must be the age....

Your parts always look good, great job as usual...

Side note, does anyone have a suggestion on how to remove the throttle plate cover? I really don't want to end up destroying the TB...lol, but this plate is really stuck on there.....will be tomorrow's project among other things...

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #112
HAWAIIZR-1

Keep up the great work and thanks for taking time to document it!!! Awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #113
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Giving me ideas Cliff....thought about the strip down the center. Don't even want to think about removing the cam covers this season, too much going on, especially with the 74.
I know there maybe different techniques for painting the numbers and letters, how did you paint them? I know someone mentioned using an artist brush. I also remember reading how MM painted them, but forgot what their procedure was, must be the age....

Your parts always look good, great job as usual...

Side note, does anyone have a suggestion on how to remove the throttle plate cover? I really don't want to end up destroying the TB...lol, but this plate is really stuck on there.....will be tomorrow's project among other things...
I used a Cue Tip (I think I broke the cotton tip off and used the stick end) but an artists brush might be easier

If you insert the original screws into several holes of the TB Cover Plate but do not thread them you can tilt the screws and create considerable uplift in the TB Plate Cover. You might try tilting the screws at several angles.

Or.....use an allen wrench of the size of the holes in the TB Cover Plate which if fits relatively tight would give you even more leverage. Just do not insert the allen wrench into the threaded area of the TB.

Do not try to wedge with a flat head screw driver between the TB Plate Cover and TB as that will just mess up the TB.

Last edited by Dynomite; 05-28-2017 at 05:22 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017   #114
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Keep up the great work and thanks for taking time to document it!!! Awesome!!

Thanks Craig, appreciated... how is everything on your end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I used a Cue Tip (I think I broke the cotton tip off and used the stick end) but an artists brush might be easier

If you insert the original screws into several holes of the TB Cover Plate but do not thread them you can tilt the screws and create considerable uplift in the TB Plate Cover. You might try tilting the screws at several angles.

Do not try to wedge with a flat head screw driver between the TB Plate Cover and TB as that will just mess up the TB.
Thanks for the tips, yes the artist brush maybe the way to go.
Will also try the screw method. I was also thinking about using one of the small suction cups I have, that might also work.
Lol, I first tried with a small tip screw driver and saw that wasn't going anywhere. No damage done...

If all else fails, there is always the hammer and chisel method....then I could have a very "custom" TB...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 05-28-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-28-2017   #115
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Thanks Craig, appreciated... how is everything on your end?
You're welcome. Thanks for checking Tom! All is going well, but have not touched the Z in a few weeks. I have been riding the Harley with all the events here so a bit preoccupied, but have not forgotten it. House hunting too so been a bit busy. I found a home I'm interested in, but can't have a real lift so thinking seriously about Quick Jack like you. Best wishes.

Old 05-28-2017   #116
gtcollins@maxnet.co.nz

Quote:
You're welcome. Thanks for checking Tom! All is going well, but have not touched the Z in a few weeks. I have been riding the Harley with all the events here so a bit preoccupied, but have not forgotten it. House hunting too so been a bit busy. I found a home I'm interested in, but can't have a real lift so thinking seriously about Quick Jack like you. Best wishes.
Hi All I have my car in bits and over Christmas I refinished the top of the engine I used base coat clear coat to do the job the letters are base coat over clear and recleared coated again here is the finished photos and a before and after of the air intake

Sent from my SM-G930F using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
gtcollins@maxnet.co.nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017   #117
Roadster

Quote:
Craig, sounds like you are enjoying yourself with both the events and your house hunting. The 4 post lift would fit in my garage, but out of my price range. Although it would give me room for a 3rd vehicle, (which I will need), the Quickjacks seems to be the practical move for me at this time. I think it will work out just fine...
Best wishes to you also, stay safe and hoping that house you are interested in works out for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcollins@maxnet.co.nz View Post
Hi All I have my car in bits and over Christmas I refinished the top of the engine I used base coat clear coat to do the job the letters are base coat over clear

Welcome, looks like you are doing a fantastic job, your parts look great. The only thing you should be aware of is using the clear coat. Reason being is that other members have stated that it will turn yellowish as time goes by from the heat of the engine. This is just a FYI, as I have no experience with using clear coat on the engine parts.
I would like to do the cam covers, but will have to wait....
What method did you use to paint the numbers and letters? So far we have some that use a stick end of a q-tip and others who have used an artist brush. If I do paint them, now would be the ideal time to do so, since the plenum is off. I still like the all silver look. But that can change real quick...lol

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 05-28-2017   #118
Roadster

Not doing too much today, checked out some of the plenum hose lines, and found some were a little crusty on one end. The 5/16" hoses still look in good shape, so a simple cleanup and dry is in order. The one hose appears to be molded, but I imagine that over time it took its shape from the heat where it resides...

one end...

the other end...

both hoses cleaned...maybe a little Back to Black is in order...

GM part # 5/16 GM6165M...I imagine that this is an original hose from the factory, or could it be a replacement hose at one time???...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 05-29-2017   #119
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Craig, sounds like you are enjoying yourself with both the events and your house hunting. The 4 post lift would fit in my garage, but out of my price range. Although it would give me room for a 3rd vehicle, (which I will need), the Quickjacks seems to be the practical move for me at this time. I think it will work out just fine...

Best wishes to you also, stay safe and hoping that house you are interested in works out for you...

Thanks for your thoughts Tom. I understand we all have difficult choices to make for our hobbies. We love the house and neighborhood, but not a real garage to me.

As you can see I can't lift high enough to do serious work in this house. Fortunately I have access to military base auto hobby shops here with lifts so might have to compromise. Dude, the Quick Jacks cost $750 to ship here. I might have to pass.

Old 05-29-2017   #120
gtcollins@maxnet.co.nz

Hi Craig my ZR-1 came from Japan in 2013- 2014 I have no history apart from it was first registered in Japan in 1992 my ZR-1 is 0308 1990 and was a California vehicle I wonder how or why it came to be in Japan could have been someone in the Military who knows and maybe if you don't take your ZR-1 home it may end up in New Zealand
Regards Glen

gtcollins@maxnet.co.nz is offline   Reply With Quote