ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-17-2018   #111
QB93Z

Default Re: Jim and Lyndi's 2018 ZR-1 Road Trip to Glacier NP, Western Canada and the Rocky M

North of Flaming Gorge we stopped in the town of Green River for gas and a rest break. Green River is small town that now is a rest stop on I-80 and a Union Pacific Railroad interchange and maintenance yard.

The freight depot caught my eye and we went over to see the building. We found a cross walk bridge that crossed the tracks and we went up and across to see the locomotives that were parked in a service area:

The Green River yard has a small classification yard:

There was nothing moving in the yard so we crossed over and looked around the town. On our way back, Lyndi heard a train coming and we saw a freight train enter the yard and stop at the depot:

It was joined by a second train a few minutes later and then a third train came in to the yard from the west:

After a change of crews, the trains moved out and cleared the yard:

to be continued.....
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #112
QB93Z

Default Re: Jim and Lyndi's 2018 ZR-1 Road Trip to Glacier NP, Western Canada and the Rocky M

We continued east on I-80 and the weather turned nasty:

As we entered this storm system, the temperature dropped from 88 degrees to 58 degrees in about 10 minutes:

The storm dumped heavy rain, lightening and limited visibility:

Then we spotted what might have been the start of a tornado:

We cleared the storm and the clouds over the snow fencing was dramatic:

We arrived in Laramie, home of the University of Wyoming:

We went downtown and visited the Buckthorn Bar and Saloon, which has been in business for 110 years in the same location:

There is a bullet hole in the mirror behind the bar that reportedly was caused by a jealous boyfriend from the apartment house across the street:

Jim
Old 07-19-2018   #113
QB93Z

Day 28 - We drove from Laramie through Denver to Canon City, CO. We have been busy getting the arrangements made to drive across the Royal Gorge Bridge, so I haven't had a chance to post photos yet.

to be continued....
Old 07-19-2018   #114
QB93Z

Day 30 (I lost count in Park City so this is the corrected day #) - The group to kick off the Rocky Mountain Run has gathered in Canon City:

Tomorrow we will go to the Royal Gorge.

Jim
Old 07-20-2018   #115
QB93Z

Day 31 - The Rocky Mountain Run begins...

Three years ago Lyndi and I visited the Royal Gorge and added to our bucket list the goal of driving a ZR-1 across the bridge.

Today we accomplished that goal:

Thank you to Ted and Paul for organizing the RMR and to John and Terry here in Colorado for their excellent arrangements.

to be continued....
Old 07-21-2018   #116
QB93Z

After days of fun and driving I now have time to post some more pictures:

Squaw Valley from the car:

At a high overlook:

(l to r: Terry our lead driver, Paul, Scott, Jim)

Purple Z looking good:

A view from the overlook:

One of many rock formations we saw:

In a quiet valley, we saw an interesting octagonal building and a rustic barn:

Luckily I saw this deer in the woods before it jumped onto the road and crossed about 10 yards in front of me:

to be continued:
Old 07-21-2018   #117
QB93Z

Another view in Squaw Valley:

Jim and Terry hiking up a path to a very high overlook (> 9,000 feet) near Mt Evans:

Lyndi and a beautiful mountain view:

More mountains:

Jim
Old 07-21-2018   #118
QB93Z

Day 33 - We drove from Black Hawk, CO to Kearney, Nebraska, starting the homeward-bound leg of the trip. We took the scenic root from Black Hawk to get to I-70. We left early and saw the sun rise on the Central City Parkway thru the area around Idaho Springs:

We bypassed Denver on I-76 which runs north east up to I-80 in Nebraska. The terrain in western Nebraska was hilly at first but became flatter as we travelled east. There are a lot of farms that look very productive:

We stopped in North Platte to sight see. The downtown area is pleasant and not crowded. This former Federal Building was taken over by the city and a public arts commission have converted it to the Prairie Arts Center. It is now a vibrant arts center for the county:

Across the street from the Arts Center is a nice, large mural:

We drove out to the Golden Spike Tower, a wonderful viewing area for the large Bailey Yard of the Union Pacific Rail Road. On the way there we noted that the corn was getting high:

The Gold Spike Tower has a comprehensive visitor center that describes all of the activities that are in progress in the very large train yard. The Tower is very good viewing point of the yard with an open viewing deck 7 stories up and an enclosed viewing area with a guide at 8 stories up.

The operations were much busier that the Green River, WY yard we visited a few days ago:

We drove on to Kearney, Nebraska. We were sorry that we didn't arrive in time to participate in the Annual Car Show and Cruise.

Jim
Old 07-22-2018   #119
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
...........Luckily I saw this deer in the woods before it jumped onto the road and crossed about 10 yards in front of me:

Amazing how quick on the trigger Lyndi is with her camera, and certainly lucky for you that you saw it in advance....Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018   #120
-=Jeff=-

Jim,

Ou don’t by chance like trains, do you?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote