ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-20-2013   #111
Schrade

Default Re: 1990 Throttle hesistation

But wait - it's gets better.

Plenum off. Maybe it dropped under there, or even UNDER the A/C comp. It has to come off anyway, because the lower TB bolt bailed, between the A/C comp, and the alternator.

Let's lift the A/C comp. Nope - the forward inboard A/C comp bolt is too recessed under alternator to get the 10mm socket on it - slipped once. 10mm box slipped too. Pull the alternator, BEFORE we round off the 10mm hex, to something that will load in a 9mm shell casing.

Then the alt field output nut seized on the bolt, and the bolt turned in the case. Di-electric grease glue??? WTH? Needle-nosed pliers on the output wire ring, 10mm on the nut.

The wire ring broke. MF'er.

Now - is the alternator toast, with the field output INTERNAL bolt connection broken?

Can of worms? Hardly. You can only get so many worms in a can. How many worms can you get in an LT5?

I'll let your great grand-kids know.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 12-20-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013   #112
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
But wait - it's gets better.
You are not even close to how bad it can get. I had to pull the engine and replace a liner/piston/rings

Merry Christmas
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013   #113
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
You are not even close to how bad it can get. I had to pull the engine and replace a liner/piston/rings

Merry Christmas
You know if I've detonated my alternator here Cliff? The field output bolt turned about 1/3 counter-clockwise.

It it a wire connection internal? Or washer-type?

I think a bench test at Advance in the AM is in order...

Anyway, no TB extension bolt under the plenum....................................
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Old 12-20-2013   #114
Dynomite

Quote:
You know if I've detonated my alternator here Cliff? The field output bolt turned about 1/3 counter-clockwise.

It it a wire connection internal? Or washer-type?

I think a bench test at Advance in the AM is in order...

Anyway, no TB extension bolt under the plenum....................................
Split the case and check or simply have the alternator tested at Oreillys or Advance for free.
I doubt you destroyed the alternator beyond your own repair.....

That is why I suggested to split the case and when at it you could check brushes and bearings......and check/reinstall that connection from inside the case.

Watch the brushes when you pull out the armature very slowly......Something like this as this is typical.

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-20-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2013   #115
Schrade

Quote:

Merry Christmas
After you had already done it once, and were putting in the last bolt?

I was DONE, except for DataMaster analysis.

Now the plenum is off, A/C comp loose, coolant lines out, alternator out, broken ring on the alt. field output wire, scratches in the new painted parts, the TB extension bolt is in the Twilight Zone, and after I find it, and get everything put BACK together AGAIN, then back to DM, to try to solve the hesitation.

But life is good. The alternator bench tested good. Kinda' bothers me tho' - I KNEW i was gonna' have to repair it, or buy another alternator...

It ain't as much fun as it was last week.

Old 12-21-2013   #116
XfireZ51

Chuck,

Have you seen any wild geese lately?
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013   #117
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Chuck,

Have you seen any wild geese lately?
Funny guy, huh...

I'm gonna' have the cleanest machine of all, that doesn't work right...

I might make BG ... in '15 - 2115 - and then again ...

Last edited by Schrade; 12-21-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2013   #118
Schrade

Change of heart; time to admit defeat.

Quittin' time. Tomorrow, put a box to the crank pulley bolt, and spin it. If it doesn't grind out the bolt from behind the pulley, put it back together, and try to find a replacement TB extension bolt. Then drop IT too.

This crap is makin' me sick...

Old 12-21-2013   #119
Dynomite

Quote:
Change of heart; time to admit defeat.

Quittin' time. Tomorrow, put a box to the crank pulley bolt, and spin it. If it doesn't grind out the bolt from behind the pulley, put it back together, and try to find a replacement TB extension bolt. Then drop IT too.

This crap is makin' me sick...
I know exactly what you are thinking......but down under around motor mounts are lots of hiding places
I am sure Jerry has exactly the bolt you are looking for.
Just type in Throttle Body in the Search and look at third page of that search on Jerry's Web Site

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-22-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2013   #120
Schrade

Quote:
I know exactly what you are thinking......but down under around motor mounts are lots of hiding places
I am sure Jerry has exactly the bolt you are looking for.
Just type in Throttle Body in the Search and look at third page on Jerry's Web Site
Got it; thanks there Cliff...

This kind of thing eats me up tho'... I could find and solve the 'hesitation' gig, but knowing that my bolt is under the motor will never stop bothering me. Never. Even if I knew it wouldn't roll into the serp belt (which I now know), and mangle a pulley, it wouldn't stop bothering me...

Jerry; if you're watchin' here, send me this TB extension [upper] bolt. I'll forward PP, or CC#, or check.

Last edited by Schrade; 12-21-2013 at 11:18 PM.