ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-31-2008   #111
Zr1 Destroyer

Default Re: LT5 Assembly Project

LT5 Stamped plug wires (The sales on these alone could pay for the entire tooling of the above items)[/quote]Lol.....that's no joke there!
Zr1 Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #112
flyin ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
Well, here is my gameplan going forward. I am going to clean up alot of the parts tomorrow, and put them in storage bags. If I am to properly clean up the block, I need to remove the crank.

So once I make sure everything is well labled and put away, and I have some more room, the girdle will come off. Check the bearings, and decide what I am going to do about the crank bearings.

I think everyone would probably want to see this, along with the install.

Let me know your thoughts. Are there things people would want to see better pictures of??? Also let me know it there is anything else that I am going to screw up or cost me out the A$$.

I think when I am done, I am going to put this into a summary of some kind to weed out alot of the mistakes, etc.

LGAFF
92 ZR1
i asked you this already, via PM, but don't you think gave me response...have you been able to check the thrust clearance? do it before it comes apart. might have to be a little aggressive if your rear main seal is still installed.
Old 10-31-2008   #113
LGAFF

I will check it once I get everything organized and cleaned up.

LGAFF
92 ZR1
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #114
flyin ryan

Quote:
I will check it once I get everything organized and cleaned up.

LGAFF
92 ZR1
o.k....if you want me to walk you through it again, let me know
Old 11-01-2008   #115
A26B

Personally, I would like to see good pictures of all the bearings, rods & mains, numbered to the respective cylinders & journals. I have a personal interest in oiling on the 375 hp engines.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #116
LGAFF

Here is what I did, used a wrench for a BMW made of flat steel. Gently pryed against the crank, then used a feeler guage to measure the end play. The difference was .006, measured several times from both ends.

LGAFF
92 ZR1

Yes I know I should use a dial indicator.

Last edited by LGAFF; 11-01-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-01-2008   #117
flyin ryan

Quote:
Here is what I did, used a wrench for a BMW made of flat steel. Gently pryed against the crank, then used a feeler guage to measure the end play. The difference was .006, measured several times from both ends.

LGAFF
92 ZR1

Yes I know I should use a dial indicator.
if that's what it is that's killer...forget about the fact it has some miles on it...i'd take .006" on a freash set of bearings/build everytime
Old 11-01-2008   #118
LGAFF

Has anyone checked the bearing sizes for the Lotus V8s, seems odd that they would not use some sizings that were already available to them.

LGAFF
92 ZR1
Old 11-01-2008   #119
tomtom72

Quote:
Has anyone checked the bearing sizes for the Lotus V8s, seems odd that they would not use some sizings that were already available to them.

LGAFF
92 ZR1
I need the "I agree" thing. I hate using the one we have.....it's kind of insulting IMHO....

Why would Lotus not use "on hand" stuff if it would work? I mean the V8 in the Land Rover was the BFO after they told the guys at chevy that a 4 cam head conversion would not be cost effective at all.

Okay, okay, I should not talk as I don't know all that much about our motors. But it just seems like the path of least cost/resistance.....KISS school of thought & all...No??
Okay, I just read the post from Kurt.....I guess that kind of says why we can't get replacement bearings easily.....by extension it is obvious that Lotus didn't use any on hand stuff? I should not read the last page in a thread first!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member

Last edited by tomtom72; 11-01-2008 at 11:02 AM.
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #120
LGAFF

I will check on the Lotus possibilty later, in addition to the hemi option. I did do some measuring this morning with a digitial caliper:

Most pistons measured 3.87(2-3) and liners were at 3.89(1-2). Even the damaged pistons were within specs,

The rod bolts generally measured 54.38-54.5MM.

LGAFF
92 ZR1

I will be picking up a dial guage in the next few days and will take some pics on proper way(or at least the rank amateur way) to check endplay in the crank.

Last edited by LGAFF; 11-01-2008 at 12:34 PM.