ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-08-2017   #91
Roadster

Default Re: WAZOO Day Success 1/21/17

Alternator delivered.....
FYI....it appears that Remy rebuilt units have the wrong pulley, no washer behind the nut and no collar between the fan and the back of the pulley.
Although technology has advanced over the years, pulleys now have built in collars, but that doesn't mean they are going to be the same spec as our units.
I also noticed that the fan that came with the rebuilt unit today was very close to the housing as before when I had the trouble. I replaced everything from the original unit to the newer rebuilt unit, and I have more clearance with the original fan. So it also seems that the fans are slightly different than the original ones.
So you either have the choice of getting the pulley from Summit as Cliff has recommended, or use the original....JMO
Decided not to use my original alternator as you can hear some bearing noise when spinning. Good time to rebuild and keep as a spare.

Rebuilt Remy....no washer, no collar...

original parts on newer rebuilt unit...ready to go...

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 04-16-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017   #92
GOLDCYLON

Exclamation Re: WAZOO Day Success 1/21/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Yep that's were I got mine. Got a month out of it and then it failed
I want to update this post as Tom and I spoke on the Phone. This 200Amp EBay Alternator failed within a month. I had no idea why. I asked for a replacement as I installed another 200Amp Alternator that I bought from the same vendor. The vendor said no problem send back the alternator we will replace it. Then the second 200Amp Alternator failed two days later. I emailed the vendor on EBay what had happened I stated "bluntly I am not installing a 3rd Alternator from you folks.. one Alternator failing happens... another 2 days later is a manufacturing problem." They apologized and agreed. I shipped both Alternators Monday and received a PayPal refund for both alternators today. I noticed on this 2nd Alternator a burned smell and something floating around inside it like a leaf. If I was to hazard a guess I think the rectifier fried internally. What was left was the bits floating around in the case? In both my alternators I did not have the clocking issue mentioned by Tom. I did however have the smaller pulley with no spacer issue.

I was happy that they did refund my money when the EBAY auction said they would only offer replacement coverage for 1 year. I mention this NOT to slime the vendor however, they may be an issue on who is re manufacturing these alternators. As Tom mentioned his new DELCO REMY unit had similar short comings with the smaller pulley and lack of a spacer. Tom and I are putting this out to the community to be aware of. I have no idea where these two Alternators were made/remanufactured as it was shipped in a well padded generic box with zero markings. Tom told me his was made or remanufactured in Mexico. In this global economy it's hard to know where the parts are coming from these days.

I Remember a few short years ago Bill Boudreau discovered a problem with the seals being installed backwards inside the clutch master cylinders and clutch slave cylinders replacements. It took a while for that to sort itself out however,everyone was made aware of it and it eventually did sort itself out after massive returns due to the failures. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 02-08-2017 at 08:43 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017   #93
Dynomite

Well.....Daryll........I do not know what to say except I have two new 200 amp alternators (1991 ZR-1 and 1995 ZR-1) and both work perfectly. The 95 took us 1,000 miles one way to Canadian Boarder with no issues with 200 amp alternator.

The 91 is 500 hp with new 200 amp Alternator with no issues. I recall I got them both on Ebay.

Maybe you installed the alternator backward ????

just teasing

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-08-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017   #94
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Well.....Daryll........I do not know what to say except I have two new 200 amp alternators (1991 ZR-1 and 1995 ZR-1) and both work perfectly. The 95 took us 1,000 miles one way to Canadian Boarder with no issues with 200 amp alternator.
The 91 is 500 hp with new 200 amp Alternator with no issues. I recall I got them both on Ebay.
Yep your mileage may vary. What was the vendors name? I could have just had a horrible run of luck or?

Oh HA HA Cliff

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 02-08-2017   #95
Dynomite

Quote:
Yep your mileage may vary. What was the vendors name? I could have just had a horrible run of luck or?
I will check but think I got these over a two years ago and cannot find the Ebay listing........... but will check again.........must have bought the alternators in 2014 and ebay does not store those purchases that far back.

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-09-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2017   #96
Roadster

Thanks GC for that post further explaining the situation at hand. Just to add here what we spoke about during our conversation.
I also purchased the same 200 amp alternator from the same vendor. I do not have any intentions of installing that unit because of said complications. So I'll probably eat this one

Now it does seem that no matter who and where you purchase the Remy 124 amp units from, the 3 I've seen, including the one delivered today are all remanufactured in Mexico. Now as mentioned above about the hardware that is attached to these units or lack of, leaves a lot to be desired IMO.
The unit itself worked fine and charged my system without any problem the short time it was installed after the plenum pull. It was the issue of the hardware that caused the fan to hit the case. Now I don't have the knowledge of knowing if the hardware is produced in Mexico, or if they import the hardware from other countries. But it appears to me that the fans are pitched ever so slightly different. Again, when I installed the fan, spacer washer and nut from my original, the clearance was fine. With their fan, my spacer, washer, and nut installed, their fan was closer to the housing, just like before. Now I may have been alright with it like that because of the correct spacer installed. But I am not willing to take that chance.

Now there is an alternative, if you do a search and or get a recommendation from another member like I received, there are some high $$$ units out there. A little costly for an alternator, but an alternative. I did come across another 200 amp unit that was reasonable from another vendor, but I have enough units as it is...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 02-08-2017   #97
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Thanks GC for that post further explaining the situation at hand. Just to add here what we spoke about during our conversation.
I also purchased the same 200 amp alternator from the same vendor. I do not have any intentions of installing that unit because of said complications. So I'll probably eat this one

Now it does seem that no matter who and where you purchase the Remy 124 amp units from, the 3 I've seen, including the one delivered today are all remanufactured in Mexico. Now as mentioned above about the hardware that is attached to these units or lack of, leaves a lot to be desired IMO.
The unit itself worked fine and charged my system without any problem the short time it was installed after the plenum pull. It was the issue of the hardware that caused the fan to hit the case. Now I don't have the knowledge of knowing if the hardware is produced in Mexico, or if they import the hardware from other countries. But it appears to me that the fans are pitched ever so slightly different. Again, when I installed the fan, spacer washer and nut from my original, the clearance was fine. With their fan, my spacer, washer, and nut installed, their fan was closer to the housing, just like before. Now I may have been alright with it like that because of the correct spacer installed. But I am not willing to take that chance.

Now there is an alternative, if you do a search and or get a recommendation from another member like I received, there are some high $$$ units out there. A little costly for an alternator, but an alternative. I did come across another 200 amp unit that was reasonable from another vendor, but I have enough units as it is...
Tom great talking to you.. yeah that sums that up. I still have another DELCO REMY unit I bought off of Hib during his fire sale so I am going to take a tactical pause for a while as well. I like the one Cliff has ( Polished Chrome) but I have more work to do on the 90 when it comes back from paint to include.

1. Webelectrics DRL kit
2. SIlicone two piece PCV hose upgrade
3. Underwood light ON/OFF-switches
4. Install new LED Headlights lights

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 02-08-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2017   #98
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I also purchased the same 200 amp alternator from the same vendor. I do not have any intentions of installing that unit because of said complications. So I'll probably eat this one.
I'd send it back for a replacement and then rebuid the return myself.. this event chapped my hide a little. I'll admit that.

However sharing this snarl to advise or hopefully prevent another brother from not being informed works for me as well. Tom I'm sure as well as a WAZOO member.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 02-08-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2017   #99
Roadster

Quote:
Tom great talking to you.. yeah that sums that up. I still have another DELCO REMY unit I bought off of Hib during his fire sale so I am going to take a tactical pause for a while as well. I like the one Cliff has ( Polished Chrome) but I have more work to do on the 90 when it comes back from paint to include.

1. Webelectrics DRL kit
2. SIlicone two piece PCV hose upgrade
3. Underwood light ON/OFF-switches
4. Install new LED Headlights lights
Sounds like you have a lot going on with your list!!!
When you see personally see the headlights, you are going to like them a lot...for sure!!!
And don't forget to post pics of the paint work when the 90 returns...

Quote:
I'd send it back for a replacement and then rebuid the return myself.. this event chapped my hide a little. I'll admit that.

However sharing this snarl to advise or hopefully prevent another brother from not being informed works for me as well. Tom I'm sure as well as a WAZOO member.

Can't send the 200 amp back for a replacement, as that one was never used....
I may just pull it apart and watch some videos and learn how to checkout all of the internals.
So far Cliff has the best alternative for a pulley replacement. Although I did find another site which may have a pulley or two that will work for us. Further investigation is needed. Need to take many measurements....lol

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 02-09-2017   #100
Dynomite

Quote:
I like the one Cliff has ( Polished Chrome) but I have more work to do on the 90 when it comes back from paint to include.
I got that Chrome Alternator from t5irocz for $100 as a non working alternator but it is now working superbly

All it needed was a new rectifier......The Chrome Alternator came with new bearings

Installed it on my L98 where it sits out right on top after adding the TPiS Air pump delete kit and MCH-208 Aluminum Alternator Pulley as well as the Billet Aluminum Belt Tensioner Pulley.

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-09-2017 at 10:39 PM.