ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-10-2010   #1
Don in VT

Default First Look under our "new to us" 90 ZR1

Hi All,

Well today we put the ZR on the hoist and got to inspect for anything that needed repair . What we found was basically a very clean underside and running gear. My oil leak is probably caused my loose pan bolts. Almost all of the pan bolts were loose and one was missing altogether. I tightened all that I could get at but my techs and I decided that we needed to drop the pan and clean it and inspect for chain tensioner debris. I cannot believe that the previous folks that worked on the motor missed the pan bolts because they weren't even finger tight . We also found at least one exhaust manifold bolt missing. This explains the slight noise when accelerating under load. In general most of the stuff to do is pretty simple and the zr runs great . We are very happy with the car and the 2 tech that will do some working on the car are very excited as well. We don't see a car like that around these parts very often as most of our work is on big rigs and pickups. However one of the techs has a 450 hp LS2 in his Camero SS.

I have a question on the front brake calipers. We have noted here in the shop the the only thing that holds the brake calipers in place is a circlip at the bottom end of the caliper. Hes anyone come up with a better scheme for holding the caliper in place. We have had problems with that arrangement in the past.

Greetings to all in the forum

Don and Cherry

1990 ZR1 # 1497
Yellow/Tan , Painted motor and wheels. 31K miles
Don in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010   #2
Kb7tif

Default Re: First Look under our "new to us" 90 ZR1

You should know that several manafold bolts were left off at the factory, I think my 92 only had 5 a side.
Watson Headers
Ported Plenum, Housings
Random tech cats
Fidanza Flywheel
Chipped, Relocated Mat
Woods 165 stat
Borlas, Straights
1996 Lt4 Sold
1994 Lt1 Sold
2004 Z06 Sold
AKA** Illenema
Kb7tif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #3
tomtom72

Don, First welcome to the asylum! Nice choice in ZR-1's!

I have never had any trouble with mine and I've not seen any posts with trouble with that clip falling off. Although, new pins & clips are a good idea when doing a pad replacement.

I would guess you could drill those pins and safety-wire them or use cotter pins.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #4
Don in VT

Hi All,

Tom, great idea on the pins. My tech, Adam had the same idea and we are going to do that when we do pads.

Thanks

Don
Don in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #5
Aurora40

Yes, when you look at the stock caliper setup, it's amazing that it stays together, or that the caliper slides properly.

But these cars have had them for 20+ years and I've never heard of any pin-related issues. If it were me, I'd be more afraid of causing an issue by messing with them.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote