ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-11-2010   #1
Z51JEFF

Default Dead coil,could it be the spark controller?

Ive got no spark to number 2-3 plugs so Ive got a dead coil but my question is would a failing spark controller kill power to the coil?Hopefully the coil is dead and nothing more.Ive got OEM coils that only have about 5,000 miles on them.I replaced the stock coils when I did the injectors at 8,000 miles.What are my options for aftermarket coils?I called Summit lookng for MSD but was told MSD doesnt make a coil for the LT5,thought they did.Thanks.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #2
A26B

Default Re: Dead coil,could it be the spark controller?

Sure sounds like a dead coil.

DIS modules have been very trouble free, which is a good thing. They aren't inexpensive and not always readily available. OEM coils are usually pretty reliable too, but do fail.

Accel doesn't indicate LT5 fitment either, but they do have a coil that works & I've been satisfied with them in my 415 for several years now. A small tab on one end of the base needs to be trimmed off to fit on the coil base. Coil PN 140017.

There are a few different aftermarket coil brands for the LT5 sold through typical auto parts stores, A-Zone, O'Reillys, etc.

I recommend cleaning the coil terminals on the base to remove any oxidation, then lightly coat the terminal blade & the seals with silicone grease. Seals last longer & helps to preserve the contact. Same thing inside the coil wire terminals & a little on the inside of the boots on both ends of the plug wire.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #3
Z51JEFF

I checked out MSDs website and they show an application for the LT5 so Im going to order a set and see what happens.Did you get my order,would like to get the car back together by next weekend.This will be plenum pull #6,gettin old.Thanks Jerry.
Old 07-11-2010   #4
XfireZ51

If the ignition module is bad, unlikely, then it's bad not selective by coil.
I have had MSD coils since P&P 2 years ago and they work flawlessly along with 8.5mm wires. I fo have a set of stock coils if needed.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #5
A26B

I did! Thank you!! It's already packaged & ready to ship out tomorrow USPS Priority. You should have it Wednesday.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #6
Belsy

Just recieved my MSD coils from JEGS @ $43 per in 4 days!!! Putting them & new Delco wires in just in case. This is an area where "if you buy the best you only bitch once" as no one needs the practice here!
95 ZR-1 #399
Dunn heads
X-pipe w/3"
misc. mods
Belsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #7
Z51JEFF

Got the car back together,runs like a top.When the car had 8,000 miles on it I went ahead and replaced the coils and plug wires when I did the injector replacement.My stock LT5 plug wires only had 8,000 miles on them so I put them back on the car.Thats plenum pull #5 for me.