ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-21-2010   #21
scottfab

Default Re: High coolant temp

either someone post the actual path of the "other forum" or post details of the modificaiton to the bypass. What washer? and where?
For the good of the ZR1 share.

UPDATE: Let me try at passing the link to the "other" forum.
Just replace the word "other" below with the word "corvette"
"http://forums.otherforum.com/c4-zr-1-discussion/259664-thermostat-cooling-discussion-pic-included.html"

The thread on the other forum is great. It will take a bit of reading to get it all but........ that's fine.
I hope somewhere it talks of the "washer" to add?? and where.

Below this line is a test of the replacement string for that other forum. All are variation on the name of that forum.
corvette-forum <-- addes a hyphen between the words
************* <-- other forum spelled correctly
corvette forum <-- used two words
corvettteforum <-- extra t in corvette

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people

Last edited by scottfab; 06-22-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: clarifying path to other forum
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #22
Tyler Townsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
either someone post the actual path of the "other forum" or post details of the modificaiton to the bypass. What washer? and where?
For the good of the ZR1 share.
If you want the thermo to work you have to make sure the bypass works, its how the warm water acts on it so that it opens. You cannot just block the bypass. In addition if you do anything that changes the water flow at higher RPM then you need to replace the radiator first as the stock radiator cannot handle the higher flow, thats why the bypass was developed.

If you are going to use the car in a racing application or for summertime use you can cut the thermo spring,
http://deliquescence.net/~tyler/misc/Thermo.jpg
AND replace the radiator with a higher flow unit. This modification will result in the coolest water temps. I ran this in Florida for many years and saw water temps on the interstate of 170 deg in 90+ weather. In town ran 190 200 deg.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #23
ittlfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
When did Marc do this experiment? It must be something he just invented
Don't shoot the messenger.. I'm just relating what MH said to me over the phone. Mark had the car back in Jan '07 for about 3 months.

I guess a phone call to him would clear up the matter of the ''experiment'' if you are so inclined.
Old 06-23-2010   #24
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley View Post
You cannot just block the bypass. In addition if you do anything that changes the water flow at higher RPM then you need to replace the radiator first as the stock radiator cannot handle the higher flow, thats why the bypass was developed.
Tyler
I agree you cannot just block the bypass. And you cannot just remove the radiator either. But then who would do that?
As for changing anything about the water flow and needing a better radiator? Well I wonder about that. Seems a very small change in flow maybe tolerated by the OEM radiator. And what is the pressure relief on the radiator reservoir for? Maybe at high pressure it releases but the volume it releases is not enough? dunno yet. I may run some experiments this summer. High rpm runs can be a problem when it's hot.

My main concern is being stuck in traffic when its 90+ out and the pavement is 100+deg. I may go with an aux fan or replace the OEM fan with a higher flow one. The old trick of turning on the AC so the second fan kicks in works to some extent so maybe I'll just "rewire" it.
More fan power (new fans) may just be the ticket. I've also seen aux fans mounted at the wheel well for getting better air flow but cutting holes is radical.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote