ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-15-2010   #1
VetteMed

Default Removed secondaries, now code 55 and 64

I just got everything put back together, removed the secondary system, and on the test drive, I got intermittent code 55 and code 64. The O2 sensors and fuel pumps are supposedly pretty new, according to the PO, though of course none of that is any guarantee that there's nothing faulty. Where to start looking?

Thanks
Andrew
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #2
Zethco

Default Re: Removed secondaries, now code 55 and 64

Have you installed a chip that's been burned to account for the removal as well?

It's been 5 years since mine were removed (yanked entirely, not just pinned), but Im fairly positive there's more difference in programming than just zeroing out the power key.

Just makes sense that if it's thinking it's lean and/or starving at the pumps under certain conditions.
Old 05-19-2010   #3
VetteMed

Yes, I have a Marc Haibeck chip specifically intended for this modification.

I'm probably going to swap out the fuel pumps and fuel filter, since my luck with pumps is crummy to begin with... And I'll go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethco View Post
Have you installed a chip that's been burned to account for the removal as well?

It's been 5 years since mine were removed (yanked entirely, not just pinned), but Im fairly positive there's more difference in programming than just zeroing out the power key.

Just makes sense that if it's thinking it's lean and/or starving at the pumps under certain conditions.
Old 05-19-2010   #4
Zethco

I figured you must have. O2 sensors are cheap. If nothing else, eyeball the O2 plugs.

I had the same issue, random as well. Turned out that the plug on the pass side O2 somehow broke it's zip tie and was resting against the header collector. Melted, exposed wires occasionally throwing the same codes.
Old 05-19-2010   #5
VetteMed

Thanks for the advice -- I will be sure to check those areas out before I throw any parts at it.

-Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethco View Post
I figured you must have. O2 sensors are cheap. If nothing else, eyeball the O2 plugs.

I had the same issue, random as well. Turned out that the plug on the pass side O2 somehow broke it's zip tie and was resting against the header collector. Melted, exposed wires occasionally throwing the same codes.
Old 05-19-2010   #6
todesengel

You drove this before you did the removal correct?, and there was no code?

Before I just changed the pumps I think I would check the fp,the filter I can see doing as precautionary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
Yes, I have a Marc Haibeck chip specifically intended for this modification.

I'm probably going to swap out the fuel pumps and fuel filter, since my luck with pumps is crummy to begin with... And I'll go from there.
todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #7
VetteMed

I drove the car only once prior, after the transporter dropped it off about 5 miles from my home. No codes were set during that drive.

It's also worth noting that I changed the injector housings over from stock '91 to mildly ported 93-95 (405hp)... I neglected to mention that to Marc when he burned my chip, i wonder if that could have created some leanness. The plenum and heads are untouched BTW.