ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-18-2010   #31
rhipsher

Default Re: My clutch issue

mgvrb8 I have the same setup as you Fidanza/stock preasure plate but the difference is I have a Centerforce sprung disk. I went to Fastenal and got 7/16-20 X 1.25 long for the crank shaft and 3/8-16 X 2.125 long all grade 8 preasure bolts and have had no problems at all. I used the green locktite for the crank shaft bolts.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #32
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Correction...

By way of our brother Hammer, a suggestion from brother Marc H (?) is that the bolts that come w/ the Fidanza FW are short by 1/4". If memory serves, the bolts holding the FW to the crankshaft are:

GRADE 8, 7/16" x 20 x 1-1/4" instead of the 1" ones that come w/ the FW.

Some kind of LockTite would be in order as well, I'm sure

Correction:

Don't be lead astray... Contrary to some (Summit)** information, the Center Force #CTF-384100 does not have a sprung hub; rather it is intended as the direct replacement for the stock ZR-1 disc using the dual mass FW and PP. (Guess how I know this??)

As mentioned later in this thread, the correct disc for the Fidanza Al FW and the stock ZR-1 pressure plate is the CTF-381039. (Note: the (Summit) CTF-381039 description indicates the disc as a replacement for the stock disc used in the 93-97 Camaro and Firebird with the LT1 (as mentioned by Dom.)

**PS: I wrote Summit a letter detailing the error in their description, and they may have corrected it by now.

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 03-25-2010 at 05:25 AM. Reason: correction
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010   #33
Hammer

Talking Re: FW bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
By way of our brother Hammer, a suggestion from brother Marc H (?) is that the bolts that come w/ the Fidanza FW are short by 1/4". If memory serves, the bolts holding the FW to the crankshaft are:

GRADE 8, 7/8" x 20 x 1-1/4" instead of the 1" ones that come w/ the FW.
GRADE 8, 7/16" x 20 x 1-1/4"

Quote:
Some kind of LockTite would be in order as well, I'm sure
Locktite red is recommended in the FSM.

Quote:
As for sprung clutch disc, Center Force #CTF-384100 is specifically designed to interface between the Fidanza Al FW and the stock ZR-1 pressure plate.

Several mentioned too that Carolina Clutch's "Stage-II" is worth a look as well. (Sorry...no part number for the CC).
I will report back when the Carolina Clutch disc is installed. I'm using the fluted bronze pilot bushing.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

Last edited by Hammer; 03-21-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010   #34
Paul Workman

Default Re: FW bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
GRADE 8, 7/16" x 20 x 1-1/4"

Locktite red is recommended in the FSM.

I will report back when the Carolina Clutch disc is installed. I'm using the roller bearing pilot bushing, also recommended by Marc.
7/16" (check!)

Red LockTite (check!)

Roller bearing pilot bushing (check!)....

Thanks for the edit, my friend. Think things are shaping up...including the weather!

Dayam....Is it SPRING YET?????

p.

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Old 03-18-2010   #35
Hammer

Talking Re: My clutch issue

I'm using the fluted bronze pilot bushing now. Jeffvette insisted.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Old 03-25-2010   #36
Paul Workman

Hot-rodding is like walking in strange, deep dark woods - filled with all manners of hazards to be encountered. Thank goodness a few have gone before and left notes along the way; notes like, "Beware of quicksand!!"

If I had all this 500 hp package to do all over again, I would still do it, but I would have done a few things differently! (and not had so much quicksand in my underwear either!).

And, thanks for the notes along the way, buddy!

P.

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Old 03-25-2010   #37
LT5-Lee

I would suggest getting the longest bolts possible that hold the trans to the bell housing and cut the heads off and use them as guide studs to keep from destroying the throwout bearing during installation even with a transmission jack. and.... just when you need that extra 1/2" to 3/4" to close the gap to feed the input shaft into the "fluted bronze bushing, have a buddy push in on the clutch while pushing & jiggling it. Resist the temptation to use a bolt to force it on.

Also make sure there is not a major burr scratched out of the soft aluminum bell housing (in front & top of slave cylinder cavity) from too much weight being placed on the clutch fork during the first trans. R&R as that is what caused Rick's problems with a broken throwout bearing and bent slave cylinder shaft.

Lee

Something BLOWbama & Hilary are trying to accomplish now at the UN with the "Global Small Arms Treaty"
LT5-Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #38
Hammer

Talking Re: My clutch issue

We used the front c-beam bolts as alignment tools. They worked fantastic.