ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1s and ZR-1 Parts For Sale/Wanted

Old 02-13-2010   #1
Hammer

Talking Needed - Pilot Bushing Part Number

GM Part Number for the bronze pilot bushing needed.
I've looked and can't find it so I'm hoping someone has it handy.

Thanks.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #2
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Needed - Pilot Bushing Part Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
GM Part Number for the bronze pilot bushing needed.
I've looked and can't find it so I'm hoping someone has it handy.

Thanks.
Here you go John, this is roller bearing type though: GM 14061685 Factory one is 10125896

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 02-13-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-13-2010   #3
Hammer

Talking Re: Needed - Pilot Bushing Part Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Here you go John, this is roller bearing type though: GM 14061685 Factory one is 10125896
The clutch I got from Schubert had the Timken bearing in it. From what I've read, those are not to be used as they are intended for low RPM applications.

I'm not using the clutch disk either as I am installing the Fidanza flywheel.

Thanks Craig.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Old 02-13-2010   #4
HAWAIIZR-1

John,

Last night after replying to you post I happened to read my Corvette Enthusiast April issue and there was an article about clutches pertaining to older Corvettes and the tech from magazine (John Hinckley) stated that the guy should only use a 100% Oillite bronze bushing which won't attract a magnet and gave GM part # 3752487, #10125896, NAPA #BK-6151161 and Federal-Mogul #PB-656-HD as the correct known material (Oillite bronze). Now I am confused because I was going by ZF Doc's site as to which pilot bearing to use and it quoted the 14061685 roller bearing type.

http://www.zfdoc.com/techinfo.htm

I noticed my crank currently has the roller bearing design in it now and I know the clutch was replaced right before I bought it.
Old 02-13-2010   #5
Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
John,

Last night after replying to you post I happened to read my Corvette Enthusiast April issue and there was an article about clutches pertaining to older Corvettes and the tech from magazine (John Hinckley) stated that the guy should only use a 100% Oillite bronze bushing which won't attract a magnet and gave GM part # 3752487, #10125896, NAPA #BK-6151161 and Federal-Mogul #PB-656-HD as the correct known material (Oillite bronze). Now I am confused because I was going by ZF Doc's site as to which pilot bearing to use and it quoted the 14061685 roller bearing type.

http://www.zfdoc.com/techinfo.htm

I noticed my crank currently has the roller bearing design in it now and I know the clutch was replaced right before I bought it.
Just sent an email to Marc. I'll let you know what he says.
Old 02-13-2010   #6
jonszr1

bill told me if i was going to do any drag racing at all to stay away from the roller bearing one . i believe he has a few extra of the one you need . he also says do not put any lube on the pilot bushing when installing the tranny.
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #7
flyin ryan

I put a Roller bearing in my 90 when I had it apart. Can't convince me they are 'Not' good to use. I've used them for years in everything & anything, never had any problem's, ever. Do certain applications 'Need' one, maybe not, but they're not going to hurt. The Bronze Oillite is really good material though, wouldn't be afraid to use them either.
Old 02-13-2010   #8
jonszr1

nice to know about the roller bearing one . i was just going off what bill boudreau shared with me .
Old 02-14-2010   #9
Hammer

Here's a message I got from Marc regarding the bushing:

Quote:
I use the roller bearing pn 14061685. I never have a problem with it. Add grease to it when the clutch is serviced.

I have seen the problem with the bronze bushing spinning and chattering in the crankshaft. This happened to many factory built engines when they were in warranty. GM repaired them with the roller bearing. I have had a problem with the bronze bushing reducing id on installation and fitting tight on the transmission shaft.

Don't apply pressure behind the old bushing. Doing so can dislodge the soft plug in the crankshaft. If that is done you will have a nightmarish oil leak to repair. If the old bushing fits tight in the crankshaft and is not discolored it can be left in service.

Best of luck.

Marc
Old 02-15-2010   #10
jonszr1

i would like to add one last thing if a roller bearing pilot does fail .the cost could be very dear . 682.10 for the input shaft 240 labor to install and the cost of a new clutch. also maybe blowing out the soft oil seal in the crank. its for that reason i err to the bushing . i mean no disrecpect to anyone just wanted to share the what ifs and the costs that could be related to use of one over the other . have a great day