ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-01-2006   #1
wolverinemw

Default Trailering tie down.

A few years ago I went off a 25 embankment backwards at 70 mph into a grove of oak trees. It was black ice half way to Chicago from Detroit in the dark at 5:30 a.m.. The Excursion was totaled, the trailer cost 8k to repair, and the 2k mile 03 ZO6 was completely untouched! Not to mention my buddy and I were unharmed as well. If there was a video, and I stopped it showing just before we left the roadway, and asked you, does this guy live or die? 100% of you would say he is a goner! I always cross strap my cars and in this case, it paid off big. My question is, where and how do most guys strap their Z's down. When I brought mine home I used the front and rear lower control arms where they attach to the frame. In the rear, with axle straps, this puts a bind on the exhaust, and to a lesser degree, the spare tire carrier. Is there a better, or easier, place to attach the tie downs/axle straps?
wolverinemw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006   #2
FU

Default Re: Trailering tie down.

We strap the Z's down the same way Bill. This tie down method is fine.
The straps put a bit of tension on the exhaust but that is no big deal. There is allways the wheel straps and additional tie downs would have to be installed on the trailer floor.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006   #3
Jeffvette

There are point in the rear for tie down straps for shipping from the factory. The front, you can use the lower A-Arm, althouhg I believe there is a factory tie down as well.
Old 02-01-2006   #4
wolverinemw

Jeff,

Really? Where do I look, and what am I looking for. Is it a loop? On the frame I assume. Thanks, Bill
Old 02-02-2006   #5
Jeffvette

Please ignore the heinous purple caliper. And the Brembos no longer say Porsche.

Tie down point is just behind the dog bones.

Old 02-02-2006   #6
wolverinemw

Jeff,

Wow! Thanks for your help, that goes above and beyond the call of duty. I assume you mean the oval shaped hole just above the lower silver arm forward of the rotor. If so, I also will assume it is for a strap hook and not for a strap with rings at each end. My D-rings are behind the car, probably just behind the bumper when the tongue weight is right. I will have to see how these attachments line up with the D rings so that I can feed the strap through without putting a bind on some part of the car. Thanks again for this Z lesson. Bill
Old 02-02-2006   #7
FU

Wait till you X the straps from the factory tie down points

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote