ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 12-10-2009   #1
Wild and Blue

Default 3 Generations of ZR's

So there were 53 ZR1 and 12 ZR2 option {C3}Corvettes from 1970-72.

Then the C4 ZR-1 appeared and(discounting a few pre-production '89s) around 6939 were produced, along with the one ZR-2(w/ the marine duty 454) and one V-12 Falconer..... not to mention the various Callaway, Lingenfelter, active suspension, and Black Motor DRM's upgrades, that I assume were made on existing cars already in the count.....but overall less than 7000 C4 ZR models are the normally accepted #'s, correct?

Has anyone noticed the production #'s on the C6 ZR1? I have not picked up a new "black book" and was curious.
Anyone care to project? Will there be as great a drop in demand from the first to second year on the new ZR1s ? From the first year available to the public, demand/production of our cars dropped roughly 32%, from just over three thousand to barely above two thousand the second year. Then the third year available the production #'s dropped another ~75% to ~14% of the first years #'s, finally to settle @ 448(mgmt./beancounter decision, not based on orders) from the 4th year till the end of production. Anyone care to hazard a guess whether the C6 ZR1 will see the same drop in #'s? Think it will be able to hold for as long of a production run, 6 yrs.?

One other thing I was curious about....there was a flurry of companies who specialized in C4 ZR-1 mods, see above*,even in the early days of production. Maybe not a huge # were "upgraded" but more than just a handful. Now with the C6 ZR1s, I hear about Lingenfelter, Hennessey, and Callaway doing one or two here and there ... but not many. Maybe it is just the fact that I am not around the C6 crowd much ... but it seems these ZR1's are not being "upgraded" at the same rate the ZR-1's were. Am I wrong or is there just less modding going on w/ these C6s?

Last edited by Wild and Blue; 12-10-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Wild and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #2
xlr8nflorida

Default Re: 3 Generations of ZR's

I don't think a ton of people were upgrading the 90-95 Z's when they were new. They were extremely fast out of the box (especially for their era) The same holds true for the new Z today.

Only the few who are real HP junkies will upgrade them. Also in the 90's the economy was in the shitter just like it is today, so people often scale back in tough times.

I've owned my Z for 10+ years and to be honest with you, I see alot more people upgrading the Z's now then I did even 10 years ago. I believe its because we all don't want to get left in the dust.

I think history repeats itself over and over again, we see that in the economy, we saw that in ZR-1 price gouging and we will see it again when the Z depreciates rapidly. Also, since the economy is in bad shape and all the hoopla is starting to wear off on the Z, I wouldn't be surprized in the least if the production #'s continue to decline or at the maximum stay the same but they won't go up.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 12-10-2009 at 09:50 PM.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #3
95ZR1

Default Re: 3 Generations of ZR's

There are so many HOT exotic cars to choose from these days that the C6 hardly even matters.
ZR1.Net Founding Member #088
C4: '95 ZR1 #357, black/black, B&B Tri-Flo w/ X-pipe
C6: '07 convertible, Atomic Orange, LS2, 3LT, A6, Z51
Sea Six: '01 Chaparral Sunesta, 5.7L EFI Mercruiser
95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote