ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-13-2009   #11
Jeffvette

Default Re: Draining Oil Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccrab View Post
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a thermostat in the oil cooler system?
I seem to recall that oil doesn't really start to flow until a certain temperature is met.

TomC
"Crabs"

Correct, but it is allowed to weep.
Old 11-13-2009   #12
bdw18_123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette View Post
Correct, but it is allowed to weep.

Like this?:

That's nice of them to let it express its feelings...

1990 Corvette ZR-1 [/B][I]
White/Flame Red, #2299, mostly stock, 144K miles.[/I]
-Cams timed to the '93-'95 405HP LT5 stock timing.
-IAT sensor relocated to below front bumper.
-Haibeck hoops installed in airduct.
-OBX cat-back exhaust.
[COLOR=DarkRed][B](SOLD - December 2012 [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed][B]:hello:)[/B][/COLOR]

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed
(SOLD - October 2009 :hello:)
bdw18_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #13
jimmac28

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post
What if you put 6 quarts of oil into the car, started it and ran it for 10-20 seconds to get the oil oil from the oil cooler back into the pan and then dumped it all. That would get all fresh oil into the cooler no?

Then you could take that 6 quarts drain it and dump it into another corvette you don't care about as much about such as a C5.
This is a good idea but then what do you do with the C5.

1994 Corvette convertible Sold.

92 #178, Haibeck chip,Hawk brake's,RC injectors, B&B cat back, X-Pipe and 49th St. Rockers sold.

jimmac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #14
tomtom72

I have an easier and much more fun way of getting the oil to circulate thru the cooler. I mean if it circulates thru the cooler when you change the oil at least you got some of it out, hopefully?

Go out and find a deserted two lane twisty and do laps till the oil temp gauge gets to 1/2 way....if the road is tight enough it will not take long if you spend a lot of time in 2nd & 3rd between 4 & 5 k rpms. You'd be surprised how fast the temp gauge gets up to 1/2 in a long series of 2nd gear esses or if you spend enough time in a series of 3rd gear corners. As a bonus you look like this if you have at it long enough!

okay maybe that method isn't exactly the best..... but with the oil pressure our pumps generate at normal engine rpms you have to believe at 1/2 way on the oil temp gauge we have to be pushing something more than just a trickle thru that cooler, no? It's not like you're hurting anything in the motor driving like that for a while every now and again.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009   #15
ZRXMAX

Draining the oil cooler is pretty easy. Simply get a 6 to 7' piece of clear flexible 3/8 plastic tubing and cut the end of it at a very steep angle, like 60 degrees or there abouts. Remove the oil lines at the cooler with the single bolt that holds it in place. Its either a 10 or 12 MM head I believe. This step will be a bit messy so have a rag stuffed underneath the area as best you can. Once the lines are out of the way feed the plastic line into the top hole and slide it in until you get resistance. At that point start twisting the plastic line and while pushing inward and you should feel it make its way around the corner and head for the bottom of the cooler. Once you feel you have gone as far as it will go then put the might vac on it and start suctioning out the oil. Once you have got a siphon going simply place the end of the plastic line in a small catch can and give it a few hours to siphon out. I usually get about half to 2/3rds of a quart. When refilling the motor with fresh oil the total amount required to get a perfect "top off" on the dip stick is usaully real close to 10 quarts.
91 ZR-1 #661 Watsons, 3" exhaust, Borlas... Hurst, 4.11s, Samco, RD radiator, gel coated motor... turquise / black

Last edited by ZRXMAX; 11-14-2009 at 02:45 AM.
ZRXMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009   #16
tccrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRXMAX View Post
Draining the oil cooler is pretty easy. Simply get a 6 to 7' piece of clear flexible 3/8 plastic tubing and cut the end of it at a very steep angle, like 60 degrees or there abouts. Remove the oil lines at the cooler with the single bolt that holds it in place. Its either a 10 or 12 MM head I believe. This step will be a bit messy so have a rag stuffed underneath the area as best you can. Once the lines are out of the way feed the plastic line into the top hole and slide it in until you get resistance. At that point start twisting the plastic line and while pushing inward and you should feel it make its way around the corner and head for the bottom of the cooler. Once you feel you have gone as far as it will go then put the might vac on it and start suctioning out the oil. Once you have got a siphon going simply place the end of the plastic line in a small catch can and give it a few hours to siphon out. I usually get about half to 2/3rds of a quart. When refilling the motor with fresh oil the total amount required to get a perfect "top off" on the dip stick is usaully real close to 10 quarts.

Perfect.

Why is it that the simplest most effective result is always the hardest thing to figure out?

TomC
"Crabs"
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009   #17
ZRXMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccrab View Post

Perfect.

Why is it that the simplest most effective result is always the hardest thing to figure out?

TomC
"Crabs"
Thanks Tom

One more thing to add is that raising the right side of the car 5 or 6 inches will get little bit more oil out.

If you really wanted to clean it out you could flush it... its to messy for me though.
91 ZR-1 #661 Watsons, 3" exhaust, Borlas... Hurst, 4.11s, Samco, RD radiator, gel coated motor... turquise / black
ZRXMAX is offline   Reply With Quote