ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-10-2009   #21
rebelz

Default Re: Rear Bumper Molding Question

I agree on principal with those who say it can be repaired, but this guy hit me in a construction zone, with the State Troopers directing traffic. He wasn't paying attention, and hit me at maybe 5 MPH. I was on my horn to get him to stop. I couldn't move forward because of the guy stopped ahead of me!!! I want his insurance company to pay to correct the damage caused, not "fix" a broken part. I do not want them to be raped in the process as would be the case in the original post. In the past this has been the trend and the reason we pay so damn much for our insurance now.

Rich
'92 ZR-1 Yellow/Black #031
rebelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #22
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelz View Post
I do not want them to be raped in the process as would be the case in the original post. In the past this has been the trend and the reason we pay so damn much for our insurance now.

Rich
If thats the case what are you going to do,put a used part on your car?I didnt know the specifics of the damage,now I do.I can guarantee you this right now,If some moron runs into my car I DONT CARE WHERE THE PART COMES FROM OR WHAT IT COSTS.If its out there and its new its going on the car.Im not paying the bill.If this is the ONLY place that has the part,so be it.In this situation you have no choice but to get the part at an outrageous price and be done with it.You might want to take a good look at that bumper,it might be damaged as well.When these bumpers all involved in a rear end collision,the impact generates heat and this with the pressure of the impact can damage the urethane.Post up a picture of the damage.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #23
Z51JEFF

If I had the 2 pieces I could take a look and see what it would take to rework a non Z piece.The only thing that will blow it out of the water is the mounting studs,if these interfere with the ZR-1 bumper.Im not working right now so money is tight to say the least but I love a challenge so I just might go out and find a piece of bumper trim from a base car and see what I can do with it.Next challenge,I will need a ZR-1 piece,not taking it off my car.Maybe borrow the damaged piece from the OP?
Old 09-10-2009   #24
gbrtng

There's nothing on the standard 91-96 car that can be adapted. The entire rear fascia which includes the "trim molding" from wheel well to wheel well and the rear lower fenders is one piece.
Old 09-10-2009   #25
Pete

How about reproducing them

I saw Jay Leno had a small CnC machine to reproduce parts for his old cars cost $3000.

Here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggvzcGdZsTc

Somebody look into this.

I'll pitch in on this deal.

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage

Last edited by Pete; 09-10-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #26
rebelz

Default Rear Bumper Molding Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
You might want to take a good look at that bumper,it might be damaged as well.When these bumpers all involved in a rear end collision,the impact generates heat and this with the pressure of the impact can damage the urethane.Post up a picture of the damage.
The other drivers insurance guy, that did the estimate was a car guy, knew the history of the ZR-1 and it's uniqueness. He has put in the paperwork the possibility of hidden damage, difficult parts procurement etc. The work required and monetary portion is open to cover such an instance. The body shop I chose specializes in classic cars and has restored a number of older Corvettes. They are currently restoring a '63 coupe. I think this will get done right, and I will have them buy the Golden part if I have to. I would rather have a more reasonable alternative.

Rich
'92 ZR-1 Yellow/Black #031
rebelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #27
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
On 91-95 the trim is molded in the front bumper and the fender panels.Doors,short QP piece and all rear bumper trim is separate from the bumper.
This is correct. The plain C4 has the rub strip (molding) that is molded to the rear body only. Even the 90 ZR-1 was different as the front bumber strip was seperate as was the doors and dog legs back to the rear. Jeff is correct for the 91-95 the front would change to the molded in style however the Doors, doglegs and rear strip would be all seperate the entire ZR-1 model run of 6 years. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 09-10-2009 at 09:55 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #28
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
The other drivers insurance guy, that did the estimate was a car guy, knew the history of the ZR-1 and it's uniqueness. He has put in the paperwork the possibility of hidden damage, difficult parts procurement etc. The work required and monetary portion is open to cover such an instance. The body shop I chose specializes in classic cars and has restored a number of older Corvettes. They are currently restoring a '63 coupe. I think this will get done right, and I will have them buy the Golden part if I have to. I would rather have a more reasonable alternative.

Rich

Rich based upon this Let them buy the part. If its not coming out of your end or your accident experience rating. Expensve yes, retain the old piece maybe it can be repaired. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #29
Z51JEFF

Quote:
I would rather have a more reasonable alternative.

Rich
Unfortunatly there isnt one,not at the moment anyway.
Old 09-11-2009   #30
xlr8nflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Rich based upon this Let them buy the part. If its not coming out of your end or your accident experience rating. Expensve yes, retain the old piece maybe it can be repaired. GC

No way I would have a repaired molding. It's the insurance companies job to make your car "whole" again. They have adjusters and salvage yards. Trust me, they will find a cheaper source, if they can't then they will just have to pay. It is what it is and I'd be specific in telling them you don't want any repaired parts and that you want to see the rear moldings before they put them on your car.

I would not feel guilty at all in your situation. Either used, in good shape or new. That is what insurance is for, think of all the premiums you have paid over the years.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote