ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-23-2005   #11
Patton

Default Re: Top end porting examples

Thanks very much Robert! That is very good to know. When I am ready you will be my first choice!
Old 11-24-2005   #12
FU

Nice work Bob

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005   #13
Z Factor

I took these quotes out of the other thread along with my post since it is more applicable here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette
I'm offering porting and powder on the top end for 1K for the package. Nobody else can touch that cost period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob
Jeff does the powder and I do the porting,
That is a great price.

What diameter are you doing for the plenum/IH ports, and the TB? What do you do with the fuel injector bosses and air horn?

Not that you are competing with some of the better know tuners out there, but with prices like that, I cant imagine why anyone would not go with you guys. You should get the word out more.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #14
Locobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Factor
That is a great price.

What diameter are you doing for the plenum/IH ports, and the TB? What do you do with the fuel injector bosses and air horn?

Not that you are competing with some of the better know tuners out there, but with prices like that, I cant imagine why anyone would not go with you guys. You should get the word out more.

Jeff and I have done a couple at that price but for future jobs I think it's going to be more like $1200. At 1K for porting and powder we are pretty much giving these away. I'm not really in the business (have a full time job) but I'm up for doing one every now and then.

Generally I open up the ports to 1.4in (about 35.6mm) measured at the plenum/inj. housing gasket surface. The plenum ports get larger from there while the injector housing ports neck down a bit toward the heads. I open up the secondary ports in the I/H's quite a bit more than the primarys. As for the injector bosses I take them down as much as possible and work the areas on either side to try and channel some air behind the spray pattern. On the air horn I knock down the protrusions as best I can and blend everything in. I also like to port match the air horn to the throttle body. On all the pieces I do I really put a ton of effort into the little details.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368

Last edited by Locobob; 12-06-2005 at 06:30 AM.
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #15
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton
Also, what kind of performance would I see with your porting & headers/RTcats/B&B xpipe cat back/perf chip? This is with a 94 motor.
With Rob's porting work at the PNW ZR-1 group's "Q Branch," my '94 with Jeal headers, Random Tech cats and Corsa exhaust went from a baseline of 337 rwhp and 326 rwtq to 381 rwhp and 350 rwtq. That's with a Haibeck header calibration as well.
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #32 - lapsed...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #16
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
With Rob's porting work at the PNW ZR-1 group's "Q Branch," my '94 with Jeal headers, Random Tech cats and Corsa exhaust went from a baseline of 337 rwhp and 326 rwtq to 381 rwhp and 350 rwtq. That's with a Haibeck header calibration as well.
Sweeeeet!!!! "Now pay attention 007...and do try to bring this back in one piece!"
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #17
Patton

Now those are some numbers! I can dig it!
Old 12-19-2005   #18
blackjack

put my name on the waiting list
blackjack
91/1735
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #19
Locobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
I just want to clarify this a bit because it could be misinterpreted. I believe the case was that the car baselined at 337rwhp with the just the Corsa exhaust and it was the combination of the porting, headers, and calibration that raised the number to 381rwhp. Correct me if any of this is wrong Nick. It is not possible to gain 44rwhp with intake porting alone. Sorry if any of you got overly excited, no free lunch. The combination of intake porting, headers, exhaust, and a good prom is quite satisfying. The way the engine pulls in the upper RPM's just takes your breath away. As Ferris would say "If you have the means I highly recommend it".

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #20
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob
I just want to clarify this a bit because it could be misinterpreted. I believe the case was that the car baselined at 337rwhp with the just the Corsa exhaust and it was the combination of the porting, headers, and calibration that raised the number to 381rwhp. Correct me if any of this is wrong Nick. It is not possible to gain 44rwhp with intake porting alone. Sorry if any of you got overly excited, no free lunch. The combination of intake porting, headers, exhaust, and a good prom is quite satisfying. The way the engine pulls in the upper RPM's just takes your breath away. As Ferris would say "If you have the means I highly recommend it".
Rob, you are entirely correct; sorry if there was any misunderstanding.
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #32 - lapsed...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote