ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-29-2005   #11
Locobob

Default Re: How to remove fuel rail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette
Pry away, just make sure you have a rubber coated tool, or lay a cloth down on the machined surface of the injector housings.

Hey now! You're giving away my best trade secrets.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #12
tomtom72

Hi Bob, U can get the old type solenoid filter for the first design solenoids from K/WRacing.com. They are not cheap! I ordered one & it took a while and I was putting it back together before it came, my fault not KWR's fault. I ordered it after I got all the parts from P & G chevy & they only had the later flat filter for the following design solenoid. The filter was old & fell apart when I opened the bag it was in. Not P & G's fault, what ya gonna do with NOS! That I just put down to the risk of a 15 yr old car. I do not know my car's build date but it was ordered by my orig owner and delivered in June 90, early in the month. I'll see if I can find some paperwork with the date & let you know, my prod # is 2233.

I was surprised that P & G had the old type solenoid, I plugged in the P/N for the early solenoid into the locator on there home pg. & it came up good so I ordered it. To my surprise it came & was in fact the old type w/o the attached filter. Reason I suspect the selling dealer was into mine is that almost all the plenum bolts had not been tq'ed. You know none of them had that "snap" when you tried to first loosen them & the fact that I had the new type solenoid installed...that cooked it for me...I could be wrong, though.

You can make a filter for the old design solenoid from a old C3 vacuum in-line filter. I had one in my tool box "spare small parts" drawer. It looks like the vacuum check valve in the sec vac hose, only 4x as lg. It has a screen inside it and no check valve, I don't remember where it went on my 72 shark but I cut it in 1/2, left one 1/2 w/the screen & saved the other half for later. I found a pc of vac hose to fit it & the solenoid nipple and cut a white floor polishing pad up to fit into the 1/2 I was gonna use, a little RTV to hold my bubba filter material in place & enough lenght on the vac hose to go over the top of the solenoid & back toward the vac hose block that plugs into the solenoid & just let it lay on top of that connection. Wa-la, instant bubba filter. I tried to make gentle bends & no kinks in the vac hose as I went over the top of the solenoid. I also made one from just a pc of the same vac hose and a round pc of white floor pad. I RTV'ed the hose into a hole I dug 1/2 way thru the floor pad but I liked the looks of the first one better. I think either would have been okay but the one with the C3 part looked nicer, so I used it.

Tom P.S. I'm with you guys on the GM gaskets, I like those!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member

Last edited by tomtom72; 11-29-2005 at 07:50 AM.
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #13
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72
Tom P.S. I'm with you guys on the GM gaskets, I like those!
Actually when you start porting and have larger openings and you start to trim the gaskets. The GM ones becomes a PITA.
Old 11-29-2005   #14
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette
Actually when you start porting and have larger openings and you start to trim the gaskets. The GM ones becomes a PITA.
I was just about to post a follow-up. I was gonna send Marc my gasket extras since they won't do me any good in stock port size. But then I told him I'd rather him use the GM ones or whatever he uses, as the sogginess of the KW was a turn-off.

He replied he uses the KW gaskets as they are easier to trim. Apparently that rubberized ring is a real pain to try to trim. He suggested to put some oil around the water hole on the KW gaskets. So I'll try this out when I get my intake back.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #15
Jeffvette

Heard it from me first

Last edited by Jeffvette; 11-29-2005 at 03:20 PM.