ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-08-2009   #11
SignMan59

Default Re: State of the NCM

Very nice post, but I have to tell you as a long time corvette lover and hobbyist, my first visit to this museum in March was a total disappointment.

The buildings "curb appeal" is pretty neat, and is inviting. However, the content was a total let down. It starts off really pretty nice with the 53 display, but it goes downhill pretty quick after that. A few mid years (common drivers) and a pretty decent "body drop" display of a C3. After that its all about C4 race cars, etc. I mean how do you have a corvette museum without a SWC???? Not one. That is pretty ridiculous. L88? ...nope. Grand sport?? nope. Remember this is the corvette museum. C2 Fuelie.....uh...nope. a 65 396? absent. a 55 (first year v8)...no but there was a picture of one if I remember right. A 67 with a big ol nasty 427 435 under the hood??? No but you can get a die cast model of one in the "gift shop". I mean if you want clothing or a koozie holder with your year vette on it, youre gonna love the place. G-String with corvette flags on it? check. A shot glass with a c6 on it....check.
Need a ZR-1 checkbook cover or something? check.

I mean whoever is running the place knows how to sell trinkets, and I know its run off of membership donations and gift shop and hot dog sales , etc. (yea they managed to find money for a new "cafe").

I just cant believe with all the money and knowledge in "corvette nation" that this is the best that can be done to tell the story of this make.

We were stunned. Thats the bottom line. Total letdown.

Oh yea...in the middle of the "rotunda area" was a big Dale Earnhardt display...now as much as I respect his contribution to racing....WTF does he have to do with a corvette?

Afterwords, we did meet a ZR-1 guy who has a place accross the street (Jim VanDoren) I think was his name....now he was a hell of a nice guy. Learned quite a bit about Z's. Has a nice shop too.
SignMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #12
1990 415

both Dale Sr. and Jr. drove the C5R briefly before Sr's death. They were collectors of Corvettes with at least 5 of them in their collection. Lance Miller now owns the C5R they drove. Jr quit driving the C5R when he was almost burned to death in one.
1990 415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #13
Kevin

I've always felt the content was a bit of a let down also. I normally only go to the ncm during the gathering, and it's been a few years since i've been there. however the last time I was the content was again a let down. I wanted to see more ZR-1 stuff however this was during the 50th anni so they had the "one of every year" display going on. OK yeah I get it but come one, bring out the pirate car, the active car, the snake skinner, purple smash, dr1, falconer, ect. We're ZR-1/C4 guys bring out the stuff that is relevant to us. I can only imagine what a pain in the *** it is to move all that stuff around but there has to be a way.

I can see why they wouldn't have an L88 or Grand Sport or ZL1 in there. These are very rare cars that their current owners may not want to give up to the NCM.
Old 04-09-2009   #14
vandornjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignMan59 View Post
Very nice post, but I have to tell you as a long time corvette lover and hobbyist, my first visit to this museum in March was a total disappointment.

The buildings "curb appeal" is pretty neat, and is inviting. However, the content was a total let down. It starts off really pretty nice with the 53 display, but it goes downhill pretty quick after that. A few mid years (common drivers) and a pretty decent "body drop" display of a C3. After that its all about C4 race cars, etc. I mean how do you have a corvette museum without a SWC???? Not one. That is pretty ridiculous. L88? ...nope. Grand sport?? nope. Remember this is the corvette museum.
<snip>
Afterwords, we did meet a ZR-1 guy who has a place accross the street (Jim VanDoren) I think was his name....now he was a hell of a nice guy. Learned quite a bit about Z's. Has a nice shop too.
Well Signman, glad you liked my shop, 'tis I, (VanDorn) speaking.

Yes, I agree with you, the displays have always been somewhat of a problem because when the place was designed it wasn’t done very well. The “good” displays you refer to, we refer to as the “permanent” displays and they are really well done. But when you get past them, you enter the race track area and all chronological order ceases. You turn the corner and there’s a vast assortment of C4, C5, C6, Design, Engineering etc. It is very confusing and has been for some time. We are very much hoping the new space will help to better accommodate some new exhibit organization, after all, a museum should always tell the story of its subject, usually in a chronological order. This hasn’t been the case at the NCM since it was built and many of us have commented on this very subject.

Should the NCM ask for ideas, I have a new exhibit map which I think would do a very nice job telling Corvette’s story now that the additional space is available.

Jvd
[B]ZR-1 Registry Member #21[/B]
Pirate Racing
NCM Life Member #399
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #15
FU

Are we going to have a small BBQ at your place this year ? Is the beagle ripe enough for a pig roast or will we have to sacrifice a virgin ?

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #16
vandornjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU2 View Post
Are we going to have a small BBQ at your place this year ? Is the beagle ripe enough for a pig roast or will we have to sacrifice a virgin ?
Well, Dave Johnson was asking about a lil cookout and I'm all for it. YOu all will end up over here anyway so we might as well have a keg on ice and a few burgers on the grill!
[B]ZR-1 Registry Member #21[/B]
Pirate Racing
NCM Life Member #399
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #17
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandornjim View Post
Well, Dave Johnson was asking about a lil cookout and I'm all for it. YOu all will end up over here anyway so we might as well have a keg on ice and a few burgers on the grill!
once again you take care of us
Old 04-10-2009   #18
SignMan59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 415 View Post
both Dale Sr. and Jr. drove the C5R briefly before Sr's death. They were collectors of Corvettes with at least 5 of them in their collection. Lance Miller now owns the C5R they drove. Jr quit driving the C5R when he was almost burned to death in one.
If everyone who has 5 corvettes had a place in the museum....theyd need a MUCH bigger building.

Like I said....totally respect the # 3 for the racing contributions, but a prominent spot in the corvette museum ? Give me a break.
SignMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #19
1990 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignMan59 View Post
If everyone who has 5 corvettes had a place in the museum....theyd need a MUCH bigger building.

Like I said....totally respect the # 3 for the racing contributions, but a prominent spot in the corvette museum ? Give me a break.
Then you need to sit down with Wendall Strode and let him know how disappointed you are with him for allowing such a display to exist.
1990 415 is offline   Reply With Quote